1.    #1  
    Check out:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010523/law004a_2.html
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_S...ODE=FLAT#13093

Looks like SONY is flexing its muscles.
    form PalmInfocenter
    Motorola has licensed Sony's Memory Stick technology and will build slot control circuitry for it into the processor of its next generation of Dragonball and Dragonball-ARM processors, according to The Register. The effects of this are two-fold. Making handhelds with the Memory Stick slot will be significantly cheaper for Sony and other handheld makers can save a similar amount of money if they adopt Sony's expansion slot for their handhelds.
    Motorola announced last week that they will release the 68K code M68SZ328 DragonBall, the next generation of the Dragonball made with an 0.18-micron process. They also announced the first generation of its new line that integrates the Dragonball designs with ones from ARM, named logically enough the Dragonball-ARM. Both of these are the processors that will have Sony's Memory Stick support hard-wired in.
    from yahoo
    By including the circuitry for communicating with the popular storage format on-chip, DragonBall's customers will be able to easily design products to take advantage of Memory Stick media. Memory Stick media is an ultra-small, thin, high-capacity, solid state removable media designed to link a host of different digital products. By using the Memory Stick peripheral, design engineers can create products that easily and conveniently transfer, store, organize and use digital information, such as digital photos and music files, between computers, cameras and players, PDAs, smart phones and other Internet appliances.
    However
    It appears that Motorola is not the only chip player in town:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=1953
    Agilent Technologies has introduced a highly integrated system-on-chip that is capable of running Palm OS 5.0 if Palm Inc. chooses it as the processor for its next generation of handhelds. Agilent's new, low-power chip, the AAEC-2000, contains an ARM920T embedded processor core that operates at 200 MHz. It also offers a wide selection of I/O, full color LCD controller, frame buffer, external memory controller, programmable PLL, and a versatile memory manager.
    Palm Inc. still hasn't announced who will make the processors that will be at the heart of their next generation of handhelds, expected next spring, but Motorola is a strong contender. If Palm chooses another manufacturer's microprocessors, Sony's victory will be moot.
    This should be interesting....
    Fat's
    Ok that's nice. But what's the deal with Springboard technology. I thought Symbol was going to use it?

I think there should be a uniform expansion slot for all palm devices. Well at least one IMHO. It would allow me to move to another Palm that met my needs at that time and save my investment in add-ons. I know I am asking way too much. That's how they make their money, by forcing us into another standard.

Sony just might win because you can use the Memory Stick in many devices. i.e.: digital camera, digital camcorder, computers, mp3 players, PDA (Clie), phones soon.

Isn't this is what we really want? Easily portable and exchangeable data.

The Memory Stick could be a really good thing.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I wouldn't want to be locked in to one type of memory.
    With my VDX, I have choices of 8meg flash, CF cards, and Smartmedia cards.
    Originally posted by BudPritchard
    I wouldn't want to be locked in to one type of memory.
    With my VDX, I have choices of 8meg flash, CF cards, and Smartmedia cards.
    I agree. I think HS was thinking pretty far ahead with the SB in terms of size, flexibility, and ease of use. As new standards of expansion get created, they can just be folded into the visor. I think that the SB standard will coexist with whatever wins the MemoryStick vs. SmartMedia vs. CF vs. whatever battle. So far, only the Memstick hasn't been folded into a springboard, but nobody thinks it couldn't happen (esp. now with this announcement!)
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Sony just might win because you can use the Memory Stick in many devices. i.e.: digital camera, digital camcorder, computers, mp3 players, PDA (Clie), phones soon.

But isn't Sony still the only one that uses this memory? I don't recall seeing HP, Canon, SonicBlue, etc. using this memory in their products. I seem to remember seeing Compact Flash in a lot of their products. I'm also not a fan of the "secure" aspect (read copy "protection") of their memory. I agree with dietrichbohn and BudPritchard, Springboards are a much better option as it doesn't matter what the memory is, you can use it.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.

Yes, I agree. I think that "next generation" Palm OS devices should have some form of standard removable memory interface *in addition to* whatever proprietary one they have. Whether it's Memory stick, or MMC/SD, or CF I don't care really. I would really like to see a Visor with 3 or 4 MMC/SD slots internal to the unit for software and memory chips, and a Springboard slot for hardware devices. Just my $.0314159
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
    Ok that's nice. But what's the deal with Springboard technology. I thought Symbol was going to use it?
    I have no links to support this (I tried looking it up), but I have a vague recollection that Symbol was only going to be doing a VDX knockoff to sell to the verticle market -- specifically, inventory companies that would make use of Symbol's barcode reader Springboard. It would essentially be the IBM Workpad of Visors.
  8. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Does anyone know why Sony decided not to use MemorySticks for the PS2 removable memory (used to store saved games, etc.)? Just wondering...seems like it would have been another way for them to try to establish the MS as a standard, considering how popular the PS2 seems to be...
    Originally posted by Rob
    Does anyone know why Sony decided not to use MemorySticks for the PS2 removable memory (used to store saved games, etc.)? Just wondering...seems like it would have been another way for them to try to establish the MS as a standard, considering how popular the PS2 seems to be...
    A logical presumption would be backward compatibility with the PSone. Since the PS2 plays most PSone games, they needed to make sure the system could read PSone memory cards. And since it's wasteful (not to mention ugly) to build a second slot in, they chose to keep the same form factor for the PS2 memory card.
    .... Sony just might win because you can use the Memory Stick in many devices. i.e.: digital camera, digital camcorder, computers, mp3 players, PDA (Clie), phones soon.

SB still tops this b/c an SB doesn't have to use the mem. for digital camera, digital camcorder, computers, mp3 players, PDA (Clie), phones -- but can BE ANY o these devices.
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    What might be intrsting is if handspring had a MS slot (in addition to the sb slot) in the devices usings this chip. Think about it, all you'd realy need is the phyisical space reqired by the MS, and in a device the size of the Vdx or Plat you'd have room for both...

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    So what would happen if Handera includes a MS slot in it's next machine? Or if Palm were to include it along with the SD slot? Or if Palm and Handera were to liscense the SB from Handspring?

Well, I'm certain that those 3 questions will raise some eyebrows but until somebody besides Sony actually markets such a device it won't mean anything. Just because Motorola decided to incorporate the technology doesn't necessarily predicate that it will be on all subsequent Palm/Handera/Handspring or anyone elses device. I could see the ebook possibly using a chip with this on it.

Speculation is a crazy thing, I speculate that the Lakers will sweep whomever they end up playing in the next round of the playoffs, but it doesn't mean that I can predict the future unless it happens.

Microsoft speculated that they would control over 50% of the PDA market by 2000 when they launched their CE machines.

When someone besides Sony puts the technology to use, then it will mean something. The MS stick, I could be mistaken, is propriatary to Sony. Everyone remember the Beta machines of the early 80's. They were Sony's baby, didn't fly because they were so much better than what the market demanded and just about $50 to $100 buck more expensive. Still they didn't sell as much as VHS.

Just because Motorola has agreed to include it doesn't mean that the other manufacturers will use these chips with the technology. I bet Sony though is hoping to get a bunch of MC stuff liscensed and some profit from Motorola.....

This will be interesting over the next few weeks/months.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Speculation may not be acurate, however it is a great deal of fun, and that's what I was doing....
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    Originally posted by Rob
    Supposedly Sony Electronics (Maker of Vaio, Clie, Memory Stick etc...) don't have a good relationship with Sony Computer Entertainment of America (PS2, PSOne, etc...). I've heard Sony hasn't ruled out an adapter though.

What I'd really see as the next logical step for the PS2, especially once the hard drive & network adapter comes out, if for it to synch with the Clie through USB.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    I like the Springboard slot, but am compelled to go with HandEra because of it's ability to run apps of the CF card as the CF springboards are not able to do this, plus Handsprings nonexistent use of FLASH memory, if You could update to OS4, VFS would be built in and viors could run apps off the springboard......

Also the Handera has two slots, what if you want to be on the internet using a springboard modem and your apps are alled stored on you CF module or 8mb Flash Springboard?
    Originally posted by VBox
    I like the Springboard slot, but am compelled to go with HandEra because of it's ability to run apps of the CF card as the CF springboards are not able to do this, plus Handsprings nonexistent use of FLASH memory, if You could update to OS4, VFS would be built in and viors could run apps off the springboard......

Also the Handera has two slots, what if you want to be on the internet using a springboard modem and your apps are alled stored on you CF module or 8mb Flash Springboard?
    The latest upgrade from InnoPocket allows you to run apps from their CF adapter
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
    Beta vs VHS - the best technology does not always become the standard.
    Originally posted by george_vc
    Beta vs VHS - the best technology does not always become the standard.

Only in america
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.