1.    #1  
    I am leaning toward purchasing a BB 8703e over the Moto Q because of all the user/professional reviews I have seen. Any thoughts?
    out of curiousity, why not the Curve?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  3.    #3  
    I use Verizon Wireless - I don't think they carry the curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkahn144 View Post
    They don't - and, IMO, the Curve is almost too small. That kb is little once you see and touch the thing. Anyway, you mentioned the Q and "professional" in your first thread. I have had a Q since they came out at Sprint in January. Overall, I like it much better than the previous T650 I had. As a phone, it is arguably the best of all PDA's. Since MOL 3, I have had few problems with it. My biggest gripe is the keyboard - I need to do email on the Q for business and typing more than a few lines gets cumbersome, IMO. Lots of skipping and lagging. And the Q is just not necessarily considered a "professional" device - most business professionals I run in to have BB's or Treo's - mainly BB's. So, I got me a Mogul last week because I could not justify the $40/mo BB data plan on Sprint (I am own a small consulting company, so the money comes out of my pocket one way or the other!). I LOVE the Mogul's keyboard - such a joy to type on. I like WM6 also - having Office on the device is pretty sweet. But, there is a lot on this device that I don't really need. I am back to why did I spend $300 and open another line that I don't need in order to get a better kb?

Oh, I digress....... The BB is rock solid and works - if you can afford the data plan. I personally like the 8830 better than the 87xx's. However, you may look at the new Q9 at VZW. I am now thinking about returning the Mogul and waiting on this Q to hit Sprint in (hopefully) November. But, you can't go wrong with a BB.
    correct.....definitely look at the 8800 series if you want a larger keyboard. they're fine devices and they work.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  6.    #6  
    I heard that it is not wise to get any BB without a data plan (meaning a pay as you go kinda thing) because it's always looking to download updates/etc. You therefore incur charges even when you're not surfing the net or downloading emails. Anyone have any experiences with this?

I will use the BB as a phone with calendar, tasks, and notes features. I will not need it for anything beyond that.

Still a wise choice.
    Not IMO, go with a Q if email/data is not important.
  8.    #8  
    I heard the Q is unstable though and the battery life is horrendous. Why would I go with this?

Also, in terms of the BB, if I go with a pay-as-you-go data plan, supposedly you still get charged data charges because of BB updates, etc. I would not touch the email or internet features though. Is this true?
    My Q is not unstable since the latest update - and I have an extended battery, so that is a mute point to me. However, you are not using data, so I don't think battery would be a big concern. My point is why carry that thick device around for tasks and notes? Seems like overkill - particularly since you are getting a device that was primarily made for email and you are not using that feature.

Again, just my opinion, you do what feels right to you.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts

try the 8830 then?
    I would not touch the email or internet features though. Is this true?
    Why would you consider a Blackberry then?
    I don't use internet or email, but I use a treo. Same difference no? I understand what the devices are designed for, but some want a nice PIM and calendar app in one device.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I don't use internet or email, but I use a treo. Same difference no? I understand what the devices are designed for, but some want a nice PIM and calendar app in one device.
    No it isn't the same, you can't get the BB without some sort of data plan and if you want a nice PIM/Calendar the BB would be a poor choice. Its PIM apps aren't even as good as the ones built into the PalmOS Treo and there a several excellent 3rd party PIM apps available for theTreo (I like Keysuite). There are also many other 3rd party apps available for PalmOS that are unrelated to its phone/data capabilities (e.g. Pocket Quicken). Stand alone PalmOS devices existed long before the Treo was available. Plenty of people carrying a Palm device and a cellphone would benefit from replacing them both with a single device.

OTOH The Blackberry is basically a corporate mobile email device. It started life as a two way pager. The PIM stuff was added later followed much later by the phone stuff. Decent color screens and all the other consumer stuff is even more recent.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    No it isn't the same, you can't get the BB without some sort of data plan and if you want a nice PIM/Calendar the BB would be a poor choice. Its PIM apps aren't even as good as the ones built into the PalmOS Treo and there a several excellent 3rd party PIM apps available for theTreo (I like Keysuite). There are also many other 3rd party apps available for PalmOS that are unrelated to its phone/data capabilities (e.g. Pocket Quicken). Stand alone PalmOS devices existed long before the Treo was available. Plenty of people carrying a Palm device and a cellphone would benefit from replacing them both with a single device.

OTOH The Blackberry is basically a corporate mobile email device. It started life as a two way pager. The PIM stuff was added later followed much later by the phone stuff. Decent color screens and all the other consumer stuff is even more recent.
    True. I like the weight of the BB, but I don't like the contacts app or the phone quality of the device(s). I know they have improved, but my brother has a BB from work on ATT and has a razr with Verizon (personal). His BB is only for email. He refuses to use it as a phone so work reimburses him.