Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Looks like the OKWAP one is running WM5 whereas the HP is WM6

Are OKWAP an ODM/OEM or is it just branded for them?
  2.    #22  
    Okwap is an Onventec brand, and apparently quite successful in the East. The have been showing the design around for a while now, hence WM5,and it looks like they have now found a buyer in HP.

Surur
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Okwap is an Onventec brand...
    You mean Inventec I guess
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    You mean Inventec I guess
    I blame the PCM keyboard

Surur
    Well...in retort to "poor Palm" I can suggest two things that matter for myself:

(1) 320x320 will be better than 320x240

(2) CDMA

The first is a preference, of course, but the second for a lot of us is quite important. Remember, 50%+ of Palm's business, world wide, is Sprint and Verizon (CDMA) and if you are with one of those, GSM devices matter very little. Obviously for those who are GSM, that's a different issue--but they always have a better selection.

I would hope also, from a business standpoint, Palm would see what their competition is up to and meet or exceed what is out there. But that is just hope of course, lol.

ps I love how the keyboard is almost exactly like the Dash.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well...in retort to "poor Palm" I can suggest two things that matter for myself:

(1) 320x320 will be better than 320x240
    While 320x320 is nice, its going to be poorly supported initially, vs 320x240, which is just standard landscape. It will be 240x240 all over again software compatibility wise.

Surur
    While 320x320 is nice, its going to be poorly supported initially, vs 320x240, which is just standard landscape. It will be 240x240 all over again software compatibility wise.

Surur
    Yes and no. I never had many issues with the 240x240 resolution and program compatibility; I had much more problems just switching to WM5 when first released. When I've had an issue (always freeware) I just write the developer and it seems to be an easy fix.

Also, it seems from the emulation of that resolution, it won't be too much of a problem since many apps are now "square aware" you won't be cutting off anything.

8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yes and no. I never had many issues with the 240x240 resolution and program compatibility; I had much more problems just switching to WM5 when first released. When I've had an issue (always freeware) I just write the developer and it seems to be an easy fix.

Also, it seems from the emulation of that resolution, it won't be too much of a problem since many apps are now "square aware" you won't be cutting off anything.
    Doesn't help for games. Even Bejeweled doesn't support 320x320.
    http://www.astraware.com/ppc/feature...=0011-000-0032

Surur

Surur
    lol, you got me there. Game support has always been hit and miss. Luckily I don't play many games (PSP is for that) but when I do, the few I use are square aware.

You also have to remember that most wm apps are also made for Palm OS, which already is 320*320. So porting is easier than making 240*240 was when the 700w's came out. At least I don't think so

Surur
    Maybe so (on 320x320), but I would still like to see more of it...the developers will step up.

Surur
    Yet...let's see some devices released with 320x320 and then the apps will follow.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Aptly named.

Sounds like what Colligan said when he saw yet another superior device?

"O-kwap"
    The HP stuff looks solid. Hopefully, the prices will be solid and not above market perceptions of what they should be.

If they are releasing a smartphone, wonder if they will do the Nokia route and direct sell? Would be interesting if they can price it right, advertise it better, and pull it off (especially here in the US).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    The HP stuff looks solid. Hopefully, the prices will be solid and not above market perceptions of what they should be.

If they are releasing a smartphone, wonder if they will do the Nokia route and direct sell? Would be interesting if they can price it right, advertise it better, and pull it off (especially here in the US).
    Wasn't the big problem with the 6915 Cingular taking very very long to approve it? Hopefully they will do better this time, and they should, seeing how many other WM devices AT&T now have on their books.

HP have only themselves to blame for the 6315, which was a total disaster and very poor first effort.

Re 320x320 - I am sure the developers will step up to the plate, but 320x320 by itself it not enough, and wont necessarily display more than a 320x240 device. All the other features (especially GPS and WIFI) need to be there also. However as an improvement over 240x240 its of course stellar, but new products dont exist in a vacuum, the 800w will need to compare well not just with its predecessors, but also the current competition.

Surur
  16.    #37  
    Thats pretty nice. They keys look large and well spaced, and for some strange reason the screen looks larger. The dark colours make it look a bit imposing however (definitely not wife friendly) but I think its acceptable for a work phone (but no-one is going to buy this for style points).

Surur
    Somewhat similar to the 800w leaked pic, even the keypad has the same configuration:

18.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Somewhat similar to the 800w leaked pic, even the keypad has the same configuration:

Oops, you are right. Its identical, even up to the phone keys being vertically orientated!!! Did Palm and HP both go to the same ODM? Or is there no 800W???

Surur
    Oops, you are right. Its identical, even up to the phone keys being vertically orientated!!! Did Palm and HP both go to the same ODM? Or is there no 800W???
    lol, dude there better be an 800w!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast