1.    #1  
    Akihabara is showing pictures of the HTC Touch II, an HTC Touch with a keypad, that was recently announced by DoCoMo.

The device features HSDPA, a 400 Mhz processor, video calling, youtube support and an FM Radio.

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...or+DoCoMo.html

It should feature 128 Mb RAM and 256 MB Flash, and microSD expansion, up to 8 GB. It comes in white and black.

Its powerful, and looks pretty attractive, and should do relatively well in the market.

Full specs:

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 08/30/2007 at 09:08 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Here's a youtube video of the Touch II

Surur
    What is the point of having a slide down number pad, when you can dial numbers on the touch screen? Waste of space.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    What is the point of having a slide down number pad, when you can dial numbers on the touch screen? Waste of space.
    I guess, theoretically, it could make T9 typing easier and make the device feel more traditional. Plus, dialing on the virtual typad, especially in the sun, is never a fun experience on WM.

But yea, overall I agree. If it had a sliding qwerty...that could make sense (and also make it huge), but this does seem a bit redundant. Plus now the screen is smaller than the original Touch (2.6 instead of 2.8).

At least it looks nice enough.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I guess, theoretically, it could make T9 typing easier and make the device feel more traditional. Plus, dialing on the virtual typad, especially in the sun, is never a fun experience on WM.

But yea, overall I agree. If it had a sliding qwerty...that could make sense (and also make it huge), but this does seem a bit redundant. Plus now the screen is smaller than the original Touch (2.6 instead of 2.8).

At least it looks nice enough.
    I agree about the QWERTY...the i730 was a great device, and if Samsung would kept that concept they could have one of the best smartphones on the market today, if not the best. Evolution would have made it thinner, keep the 520mhz CPU or even improve it, a camera could've been added also, and it was a rare 320*240 touchscreen device with a vertical sliding keyboard. Sure the keys were smaller than a treo, but very usable. Such a shame no one ever followed suit...
    Why still call it "touch" if you don't use touch screen for input anymore. How about "HTC type".
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Why still call it "touch" if you don't use touch screen for input anymore. How about "HTC type".
    Because it's still running TouchFLO for the UI interface? In fact, it's probably a newer build of TF with more functions/improvements. TF isn't for dialing phone numbers (even WM straight up could do that) it was for the Today screen and access to basic, frequently used functions: weather, launcher, speed dial, etc.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8.    #8  
    This more traditional form factor will increase market acceptance amongst novices, and at least in the East having extra QWERTY keys is not as helpful as it would be in the west, vs on-screen stylus-based character recognition.

Surur
    They are just some excited looking guys, aren't they? Great for marketing......
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    I agree about the QWERTY...the i730 was a great device, and if Samsung would kept that concept they could have one of the best smartphones on the market today, if not the best. Evolution would have made it thinner, keep the 520mhz CPU or even improve it, a camera could've been added also, and it was a rare 320*240 touchscreen device with a vertical sliding keyboard. Sure the keys were smaller than a treo, but very usable. Such a shame no one ever followed suit...
    i personally don't agree about the i730. why do i say? i had very little success trying to use the touchscreen and i don't have very large fingers. that coupled with the largeness of the entire device (with the slideout open) made it just too big for my liking. yes, if it evolved into a more thin device, great, but it was pretty darn bulky at the time.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    What's the point of using an on-screen keypad since you can't dial by feel, you get no tactile feedback when you "press" the keys, and it takes up valuable screen space to display it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    You mean something like this? http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...20-wm6-slider/

or a BB suretype based model like this? http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...samsung-blast/
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    You mean something like this? http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...20-wm6-slider/

or a BB suretype based model like this? http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...samsung-blast/
    Yeah kinda, just with a touchscreen/pocketPC OS. Smartphone is good but ppc is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i personally don't agree about the i730. why do i say? i had very little success trying to use the touchscreen and i don't have very large fingers. that coupled with the largeness of the entire device (with the slideout open) made it just too big for my liking. yes, if it evolved into a more thin device, great, but it was pretty darn bulky at the time.
    Well, at the time....the competition was the Hitachi G1 (I believe that was the model number) and PPC-6600. It might have still been the Thera when it first came out. All very bulky in their own regard, so if you wanted a wm device it was a reasonable size.
    i owned and used the 6600 for a while as well. i still can't believe it.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  16.    #16  
    Another pretty attractive picture of the Touch 2.

Here's a video of what HTC calls Touchflo 2, a further development of the Touch interface to add a iPhone like picture viewer with scrolling and zooming using gestures. Not quite as slick, but probably quite nice with a bit more experience.

Of note is that the device has an included FM radio, and uses the Opera browser.

Surur
    Interesting Opera browser, I wonder what version is it? Mini or mobile?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Interesting Opera browser, I wonder what version is it? Mini or mobile?
    Almost certainly Mobile (which is less cooler )

Surur