Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The Nokia N95 8G will be available in October for nearly $800. Are you ready to buy this phone? with that kind of money, I can get a free razr, a nice laptop, and still hove money left for something else.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Take a iPhone at $600. Add $200 for it being unlocked. Add $150 for built-in GPS. Add $200 for the 5 mega-pixel auto-focus camera with Carl Zeiss optics capable of recording DVD quality video. Add $ 150 for the 3G. Add $50 for the keypad. Add $150 for the 3rd party apps.

Total $1500

Subtract $100 for not being QWERTY. Subtract $200 for not being very thin. Subtract $300 for not having a touch screen. Subtract $100 for not having a huge screen.

Total $800.

Sounds about right to me.

Surur
    LOL. So when they add a touchscreen next year it'll be worth $1100?

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...one-2008.phtml

Lack of touchscreen is much the biggest weakness of my E61. I just hope they get the new UI right.
    More on new UI:

As pointed out on AAS, Engadget et al., it looks just slightly familiar
    And more:

http://www.thomson-webcast.net/uk/di...a700d8098a3473

UI bit starts after 7 min or so.
    $700-$800 is normal for a new hot unlocked phone with those features. Just wait a while and the price will probably fall to $600.

Any laptop under $800 is watered down, unless maybe you get it built locally. Or it's used, which is fine as long as it works(I've bought used laptops myself). And only if it's the new RAZR2 or the ATT 3G RAZR is a RAZR even worth using IMO! I'm not sure the RAZR was a good phone for this comparison.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    $700-$800 is normal for a new hot unlocked phone with those features.
    Agreed. Paying this much for a top of the link smartphone that has a pedgree of performing well is not a question of "do you" but "when will you."

To be fair, I have a N95 now. The US version would be much nicer, and the N95 8Gb with US 3G nicer still. Add a touchscreen to it, and S60 FP2 and I'd ditch my current Treo in a heartbeat.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    The Nokia N95 8G will be available in October for nearly $800. Are you ready to buy this phone? with that kind of money, I can get a free razr, a nice laptop, and still hove money left for something else.
    You will also carry multiple chargers for this, navigate the fun waters of device integration across various manufacturers, and have the distinct fun of of using a RAZR.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    To be fair, I have a N95 now. The US version would be much nicer, and the N95 8Gb with US 3G nicer still. Add a touchscreen to it, and S60 FP2 and I'd ditch my current Treo in a heartbeat.
    I apologize for going OT a bit but, Antoine, how do you find the document editing and syncing (Word, Excel) capabilities of the N95? I can never find a review that really speaks to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I apologize for going OT a bit but, Antoine, how do you find the document editing and syncing (Word, Excel) capabilities of the N95? I can never find a review that really speaks to that.
    Nevermind. I forgot the N95 does not have a QWERTY keyboard, so my interest is, meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Nevermind. I forgot the N95 does not have a QWERTY keyboard, so my interest is, meh.
    The default installation of QuickOffice isn't great. It's almost worth it to upgrade to QO4, except, as you note, there is no QWERTY.

What you would want instead is the E90 (dual screened, clamshell) or the E61i. Neither of which are in the US with 3G, but both with wifi and defintiely stable and usable.

will/does it have a virtual keyboard a'la iPhone?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    will/does it have a virtual keyboard a'la iPhone?
    If you are speaking of the N95, no it will not. Its not a touchscreen device and T9 is the method of text entry. If the top keys were not as pressed against the slide, it would be almost good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Take a iPhone at $600. Add $200 for it being unlocked. Add $150 for built-in GPS. Add $200 for the 5 mega-pixel auto-focus camera with Carl Zeiss optics capable of recording DVD quality video. Add $ 150 for the 3G. Add $50 for the keypad. Add $150 for the 3rd party apps.

Total $1500

Subtract $100 for not being QWERTY. Subtract $200 for not being very thin. Subtract $300 for not having a touch screen. Subtract $100 for not having a huge screen.

Total $800.

Sounds about right to me.

Surur
    Surur, you are developing a strange obsession with the iPhone. You bring it up now in threads that have totally nothing to do with it. I think you need to let it go.
    I thought it was a good example of what the mass market is willing to pay for a phone, if you disagree furnish your example.

Surur
    I won't pay more than 300-400 for a smartphone, subsidized or otherwise. It's Nokia's job to do whatever it takes to make this phone part of Cingular or TMobile's offering. If they fail to do so, very few American will buy it.

And the ones who are willing to buy un-subsidized sexy toys have already brought the original n95. I know two of those people.
    I'd pay $500-$600 unlocked for this. Especially since it has US 3G bands and a whole lot more!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I won't pay more than 300-400 for a smartphone, subsidized or otherwise. It's Nokia's job to do whatever it takes to make this phone part of Cingular or TMobile's offering. If they fail to do so, very few American will buy it.

And the ones who are willing to buy un-subsidized sexy toys have already brought the original n95. I know two of those people.
    Read this article, and consider who really makes the call as to what works here and doesn't, ok.

Yes, manufacturers shuold work to make sure that phones work, but not to the point of neutering a phone or having to reimplement firmware just to suit a carrier's partucular flavor of wireless. If the US mobile market was much less fragmented, phones such as the N95 8GB would be more purchased here, not because they are in the carrier deck, but because carriers would be noticed as no more than utility pipes. The quality of your food is not in the gas company's gas that comes to your house, but your ability with the stove that you purchased.

Oh, the N95 8GB will not support US HSDPA, only the N95's refreshed US model will.

The US version of the N95 is very intriguing.

(Nokia in general is really cranking thing up).

I think one thing the N95 provides is gadget reduction.

- True GPS
    - 5MP camera that is supposed to be decent enough for "everyday" pics
    - Decent screen and OS
    - Music/video player

Sure, it is only T9 for input, but if you don't do a lot of input, it works well.

I could see the N95 being my GPS/"bag" camera/backup phone/PMP.

Replace a lot of devices (and power chargers).

Oh, yea, and it's unlocked, 3G, and supports more music and video formats.
    I dunno about the decent pics mike, but when I was at the Nokia booth at the local mall here, they had sample pics from the imported N95 and it actually looked faily good. It was almost on par with my Canon Powershot A80from almost 3 years back at that is a 4.1mp camera. I personally would rather take the N81 8gig. I dunno why.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast