Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 148
  1. JCFox's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
       #1  
    Well, after owning just about every Palm Based Smartphone I got fed up with the Treo 700p, and the implementation of the Maintenance Release and went for the BlackBerry 8830. I sold my fairly new Treo for $200 in Craigslist, including all the software I bought over the years and all my accessories, and started using the Blackberry.

    The transition has been nothing short of fantastic. The Blackberry JUST WORKS. The Bluetooth works, it has never missed a connection with my vehicle handsfree, it has never reset itself, never needed a re-boot, never needed to re-load anything...basically it works great right out of the box, and just keeps working.

    Now, sure I miss the Palm OS, but only from the intellectual challenge of fixing things and tweaking things, and being happy when things "just worked" - because it was such a rare day!

    So, if you guys enjoy sharing stories of how you managed to keep things working with duct tape, luck, and creative sequences of loading software, and making sure you have a lot of backups, because invariably you'll need to do a hard reset to get out of an endless loop - then, this forum will never die.

    For me - while playing programer and problem solver for my Treo was fun at times - nothing beats my Blackberry 8830.

    I'll miss all the helpful people on this site who were always ready to lend a hand or an opinion - but now that I have a BlackBerry, I don't NEED a forum like this.

    So...THANKS to all who helped me over the years.

    JCFOX
    =====================================================================================
    Palm Pilot, Palm Vx, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700pos and FINALLY:
    BLACKBERRY 8830, because it just WORKS!!
  2. #2  
    When you come back to the Treo, make sure you post a goodbye in a blackberry forum
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  3. #3  
    Congrats - you, my friend, have deeper pockets than I!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  4. #4  
    Well, I agree with you about the BB 8830 stability etc. but after trying one for two weeks I decided that even though I really liked it, because I use several specialized Palm programs, i.e. DateBk6, Bonsai, Olive Tree Bible Reader, etc. that I couldn't find suitable replacements on the 8830. The Bible Reader does have a BB version but it is very limited.

    And, I tried the 8830 on Sprint which meant I was able to use Google Maps with the built-in GPS! It was very tempting. Maybe when my VZW contract expires in May I'll revisit it again. VZW so far doesn't have EVDO here (Santa Barbara) either.

    GD
  5. JCFox's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    When you come back to the Treo, make sure you post a goodbye in a blackberry forum

    I promise to do exactly that.....of course, I'll have to FIND a Blackberry Forum first!!
    =====================================================================================
    Palm Pilot, Palm Vx, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700pos and FINALLY:
    BLACKBERRY 8830, because it just WORKS!!
  6. mrjasjit's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JCFox View Post
    I promise to do exactly that.....of course, I'll have to FIND a Blackberry Forum first!!
    Check out http://www.blackberryforums.com/ and http://pinstack.com/

    ...
    Last edited by mrjasjit; 08/27/2007 at 12:35 AM.
  7. #7  
    yeah you lucky.... you get all the resident features a Treo doesn't have, push email and... and... and?
  8. #8  
    This post needs to be deleted. He just wants to feel better about his decision for a lower grade phone by getting people in here to say he made the right choice. Ive had the treo 700p for over a year with no problems at all and I use quite a lot of programs. We really don't need any blackberry ads in a treo forum.
  9. #9  
    I have had palm os devices for years. WM6 has less apps, plus its M$... So to me, that OS and the Bluberries are just for those who don't have the capability to work with or understand good software. Too bad for them. There is a reason 30,000 software titles exist for the Palm OS... and less than half for WM... and a fraction of that &t the most for the Blueberrie.

    Have fun on you not so smart phone.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by chymo View Post
    There is a reason 30,000 software titles exist for the Palm OS... and less than half for WM... and a fraction of that &t the most for the Blueberrie.
    Ignoring your point, I just wanted to mention that on Palmgear they list 31 500 PalmOS packages vs 24 500 on PocketGear, and WM is adding software faster than PalmOS, so it will eventually catch up, plus all the coolest software comes to WM first.

    Surur
  11. #11  
    I gotta disagree with the Blackberry hatred in this thread. If you need a phone for email, texts, browsing and just basic tasks, the BB is fine!

    Now if you want to do a whole lot of other things on your phone, then Treos are definitely better. But the 8830 is pretty capable IMO, plus this is the international BB, right? I tried BB and love how simple it is to just do stuff without opening up tons of apps.

    The Mods may move this to the BB sub-forum since it's better for that one, but the OP can still post what he wants without being offensive, right?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. #12  
    If only sprint had a good deal on the internet package, i just cant see myself paying so much for that service.

    Also i have 100 dollars of software on my unit that i cannot live without .
  13. #13  
    I agree that if it's not required for work, it may not always be worth it to sign up for BB service, since it's more expensive sometimes.

    I was just happy not to have to open up menu trees just to get stuff done. I love WM actually, but that's still a gripe of mine. And I also didn't necessarily like buying lots of software from both Palm and WM, just to get the device the way I wanted. My 650 has tons of Palm software.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by JCFox View Post
    I promise to do exactly that.....of course, I'll have to FIND a Blackberry Forum first!!

    Theres also www.crackberry.com I'm registered there been reading forums for months now. See ya there !
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I gotta disagree with the Blackberry hatred in this thread. If you need a phone for email, texts, browsing and just basic tasks, the BB is fine!

    Now if you want to do a whole lot of other things on your phone, then Treos are definitely better. But the 8830 is pretty capable IMO, plus this is the international BB, right? I tried BB and love how simple it is to just do stuff without opening up tons of apps.

    The Mods may move this to the BB sub-forum since it's better for that one, but the OP can still post what he wants without being offensive, right?

    I love the PalmOS and I agree that the Treo/Palm OS line is better... on paper. But unfortunately the Treo doesnt plain work. Would you believe that I went a record of 3 weeks w/o a reboot? That only happened because I was in japan and didn't have my antenna turned on since I cant use the phone over in Japan. I think thats a major issue right there. Then not two days back in the states and my phone went on a reboot-fest again.

    One day I'm sure Palm might get it back together again with a future Linux phone. Just today isn't that day.
  16. #16  
    I'm not sure why there is such hostility. Can't we all just get along. I also gave up my Treo 700p about three weeks ago for a BB 8830. I've had mostly Palm based devices since the Palm Pilot. It's undeniable that the 700P has way more software available, is fun to tweak and a lot more configurable. BB is missing some really important apps, such as a good Document editing program that runs from the device, support for SlingBox and an e-mail reader that handles html well. However, as JCFox said, it does just work. I would have kept with the 700p if it wasn't for the network problem with MR 1.10. While I miss the Palm based apps, I need a reliable PDA/e-mail device for work and the BB 8830 is just that. It also has a level of polish the 700p doesn't have, but the price for that is lack of variety in the software. There are times I love the BB 8830 and wonder why I put up with the headaches of the the Palm OS; other times I really miss the 700P.

    All devices are compromises and each person picks what works best for them. As a former Treo 700p user (and the support for my wifes 650P), I rely on this board to hear the good and the bad. I'm staying on the board in the hopes that Palm (or someone else) will eventually come up with something that works (for me). So, keep the discussion going.
  17. #17  
    I still don't understand the need for people to come here saying "I'm leaving Palm and the Treo behind", or I've left the Treo for some other device and I'm so much happier.
    Who cares? What do you want a cookie, a medal, what?

    Did you go to the forum of your last vehicle and tell everyone you've moved on, how about the toilet paper forum to say you've left Charmin for Northern?

    It just doesn't make sense to me, and please don't give me the "Well hopefully Palm is reading and paying attention crap".
    For every one thread where someone says they're leaving there are 3 saying new Treo user here.


    /rant
  18. #18  
    pool Shark:

    for some its called "Closure"
    Happy Trails.... to you........... until.... we meet... again.............


    Its not too much to ask for a device that works.

    BTW going from my Nissan to my BMW was a monstrous change. Adios sentra suckahz! :lol:
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    pool Shark:

    for some its called "Closure"
    Happy Trails.... to you........... until.... we meet... again.............


    Its not too much to ask for a device that works.

    BTW going from my Nissan to my BMW was a monstrous change. Adios sentra suckahz! :lol:
    No, asking for a device that works is not too much, but coming to say I'm leaving doesn't do any good.
    My 700P works. I have very few resets, my BT has problems because I'm using an incompatible headset, when I was using the BT500 it worked fine for the most part. Doing a soft reset on my 700P once a day took care of most of the issues I was having. I didn't jump on the MR either, I work in IT and I never jump on the latest release of an OS.

    Before the question is asked, yes I have a lot of 3rd party apps installed, I check email for 2 different accounts every 15 minutes, send text messages throughout the day, and surf the net on a regular basis with blazer. My Treo is also my primary phone.
  20. #20  
    I, for one, appreciate these types of posts. I'm considering switching from the 700p as well. I find it helpful to hear from former palm users who have transitioned away from the Treo to find out how they like different devices.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions