Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
    Old thread but I agree. I also miss my crappy camera.

I'll be selling my old stuff craigslist too (700w, 700wx, xv6600, and Kyo7135 with all of their parts).

100% company mail, company websites, and instant messaging -- I never had these on my Treos. Even with VPNs, they never worked right. GPS too -- no need to carry around a little bluetooth one.

Blackberrys just work.
    I was listening to a tech podcast and they where saying most Palm users don't use 3rd party apps just PIM and no one does PIM with a stable OS and email better then RIM. Everybody else seems to be playing catch up.

2 weeks and counting to the Sprint Curve release.Can't wait.
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm a bit surprised some people wrote off BB entirely due to multimedia. BB's main purpose is still business use first and foremost anyway, and definitely does that VERY well.

So what phones DO handle the H.264 codec if it's that important? Treo? 8525? Tilt? Just curious.
    I agree, my wifes curve is flawless and does what it does very well. I think people want the best of both worlds being good for business solutions and multimedia with their devices and BB does one of those real well. I have had 3 issues with my push mail on my BJ II along with connectivity problems and my wife and I got are devices together when we switched to at&t and her Curve hasn't even had a hickup of an issue...she taunts me when I have had glitches saying "I told you to get the Curve like me"
    at&t iPhone3G
    The issue I battled with over the 9 years of using Palms and PPCs is that my company is married to Lotus Notes for email and calendaring. I've tried many (mucho, beaucoup, viele, molti, много) applications and all were flawed in some way. I finally started just having my non-confidential mail forwarded to another ID (not very secure). I couldn't handle calendaring that way but fortunately, I have a human assistant who would.

The 8830 flawlessly handles corporate and personal mail right out of the box. I can access intranet sites and instant messaging (Sametime) without a VPN which was never reliable. I've used so many Palm and Pocket PC apps to handle attachments that I expected to be required to install 3rd party software and tinker. Not so with the 8830. It handles almost any attachment -- Lotus, MS Office, PDF, and all sorts of images perfectly.

The multimedia capabilities are not shabby. Music, videos, and pictures are all available. I can't carry around my entire music and audible library on the 2GB card but I can carry around enough to enjoy for many hours at a time.

After years of Treo use, I was weaned off of stylii so I am not missing the lack of touchscreen support. This is what I need to be 100% satisfied:

Streaming radio
    XMonline (the version free for XM subscribers)
    word completion
    Slingplayer (coming soon)
    a fast list/DB app (HanDBase is too slow)
    Have been a Palm user for well over a decade. But am very interested in the motivation and experience of those moving fully to BB. With AT&T/Palm's abandonment of Blackberry Connect, some of us can definitely use that valuable insight as we consider our future options.

Don't know why you'd bother reading this forum if you're not interested in Palm users' experiences with other devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by EPMiller View Post
    Have been a Palm user for well over a decade.
    Even if you'd owned a PalmPilot 1000, you'd just be barely over a decade. It just seems like it's been forever!

Quote Originally Posted by EPMiller View Post
    But am very interested in the motivation and experience of those moving fully to BB. With AT&T/Palm's abandonment of Blackberry Connect, some of us can definitely use that valuable insight as we consider our future options.
    No comparison from an email perspective. BES or BIS are both better than Palm alternatives like Chattermail. The variety of Palm software is still far greater than the blackberries, but the BB software available seems generally superior in quality/stability. Stability and battery life, hands down, go to BB. The consumer versions of BB (Pearl / Curve) even have Palm's entertainment capability (music and video viewing) beat.

Until Palm updates its 6-year-old OS, they're really unable to keep up with this dynamic market.
    ^agree wholeheartedly with Kupe. if your day-to-day life doesn't require every 3rd party application under the sun, and if you place an emphasis on pocketability, try out a Blackberry Pearl/Curve. i don't think you will be disappointed. so many around here are really loving the fact that they switched.

best success
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I agree as well and from my experience, I'd also add "stability" like others have said. I did enjoy experimenting with the various Palm apps, but in the end found that I had to have Resco Locker, BackupBuddy, OffFlush, and MemInfo just to reach stability with the abomination of a memory manager Palm bolted onto POS in the 650 and 700 series.

The thin-ness of the Curve, but especially the 1.7oz weight reduction, make it truly pocketable like my 700p has never been. I've found equivalent replacement apps for just about every extra feature I had on the 700p. Notable exceptions are Sling and DocsToGo but those should be available Real Soon Now.

I've gotten used to not having touchscreen just fine, but if I had a choice, I'd prefer one since I've always had one. A well-designed touchscreen UI typically has the most common functions on-screen so the menus are shorter and quicker to access when needed. Not a huge deal for me, just a preference.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Forgot to add how much I hated the 2.5mm headset jack on the Treos. Nothing like having a non-standard low-tech plug that requires a specific adaptor which adds stress to the jack when it gets hung up on something and doesn't always make a solid contact over time. Oh yeah, and no BT2.0 either.

Vent over.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678