Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I've got more holiday reading to do this week.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble View Post
    I'm not sure why there is such hostility. Can't we all just get along. I also gave up my Treo 700p about three weeks ago for a BB 8830. I've had mostly Palm based devices since the Palm Pilot. It's undeniable that the 700P has way more software available, is fun to tweak and a lot more configurable. BB is missing some really important apps, such as a good Document editing program that runs from the device, support for SlingBox and an e-mail reader that handles html well. However, as JCFox said, it does just work. I would have kept with the 700p if it wasn't for the network problem with MR 1.10. While I miss the Palm based apps, I need a reliable PDA/e-mail device for work and the BB 8830 is just that. It also has a level of polish the 700p doesn't have, but the price for that is lack of variety in the software. There are times I love the BB 8830 and wonder why I put up with the headaches of the the Palm OS; other times I really miss the 700P.

All devices are compromises and each person picks what works best for them. As a former Treo 700p user (and the support for my wifes 650P), I rely on this board to hear the good and the bad. I'm staying on the board in the hopes that Palm (or someone else) will eventually come up with something that works (for me). So, keep the discussion going.

Docs to go for blackberry will be released Q1 of this year.Slingbox announced support also. The programs lists are going daily so hold on to your hats.

I just sold my TX and looking BB myself still on the fence for full qwerty 8830 or camera and small form factor of the pearl.. Anybody?
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    There's always the Curve/83xx series - full qwerty with camera, slightly smaller than the 8830, but not as small as the pearl.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    Docs to go for blackberry will be released Q1 of this year.Slingbox announced support also. The programs lists are going daily so hold on to your hats.

I just sold my TX and looking BB myself still on the fence for full qwerty 8830 or camera and small form factor of the pearl.. Anybody?
    Do people really find Docs to Go on the Treo 700P to be usable? It was so, so slow (even with editing, opening, and saving a simple spreadsheet), that it was essentially unusable.
    It was never that slow for me, but most of the docs I keep on hand aren't large to begin with. I'd guess that makes the most difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    There's always the Curve/83xx series - full qwerty with camera, slightly smaller than the 8830, but not as small as the pearl.
    forgot to menition i have to stay with sprint as I have alot of nextel friends and work requires it so mobile to mobile is free.there is rumor of the BB curve for sprint but its date of release is still unknown so I am getting sick of waiting.
    Tritan

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
    Do people really find Docs to Go on the Treo 700P to be usable? It was so, so slow (even with editing, opening, and saving a simple spreadsheet), that it was essentially unusable.
    I had it for years and loaded tons of word and excel docs on it with the TX. I can honestly say I only used it for viewing and that was few and far between as most most of the time I am near a computer for editing so it was a waste. I found this out with alot of my palm programs after the first ooohaaaah of a program wore off then the program would sit. This is what is leaning me toward the BB stable , push email, PIM, todo list that is all I used on the TX !!!
    Tritan

There are a few apps that I've been using for a few years now, mostly organizer stuff. Can't do without them, work email is good enough for me. I'm not into installing and trying every cool new app. I'm much more interested in various apps work together and fit into a workflow and when they do I leave them be.

BTW, DocsToGo has only rarely managed to do something right. I don't even try to use it anymore. For masochists only.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    There are a few apps that I've been using for a few years now, mostly organizer stuff. Can't do without them, work email is good enough for me. I'm not into installing and trying every cool new app. I'm much more interested in various apps work together and fit into a workflow and when they do I leave them be.

BTW, DocsToGo has only rarely managed to do something right. I don't even try to use it anymore. For masochists only.
    What do you use now?
    Tritan

forgot to menition i have to stay with sprint as I have alot of nextel friends and work requires it so mobile to mobile is free.there is rumor of the BB curve for sprint but its date of release is still unknown so I am getting sick of waiting.
    I'm in the same position but counting on the rumors of a 1Q08 Sprint Curve release. Since I carry both the Curve (ATT, work email) and my 700p, I can wait a little longer although my patience is wearing thin as well. Once SlingPlayer and BBOS4.3 come on a Sprint/EVDO Curve, I'll make the final switch.
    Any opinions on Ascendo DataVault vs SplashData SplashID out there? I've been using Dataviz PasswordsPlus for years, but that's not being ported to the Blackberry, so I'm looking for a replacement. Both DataVault and SplashID get good reviews, so I'm curious about any real world experiences you might have.
    I'm in the same position but counting on the rumors of a 1Q08 Sprint Curve release. Since I carry both the Curve (ATT, work email) and my 700p, I can wait a little longer although my patience is wearing thin as well. Once SlingPlayer and BBOS4.3 come on a Sprint/EVDO Curve, I'll make the final switch.
    Why would you wait is the 700p on sprint then you still will have to pay full price for an upgrade unless you are about to expire. I have been surfing the fourms on BB and everybody says there is no way sprint will release a cdma sprint curve in Q1 if they would it would have been announced at CES. It was a disaapointment for BB fans as the only announcement for 08 was a red pearl and and pink pearl..
    Tritan

Yup, the 700p is on Sprint with the rest of the family phones. The grandfathered family plan can't be beat by any other carrier and I love EVDO, so that's where I'll likely stay. My latest 2yr contract has expired, so I plan to use the renewal credit toward the next purchase.

I know the "Curve on Sprint" is a dimming hope, but that's all I have to go on for now. None of the newer Treos are worth the upgrade to me.
    What do you use now?
    It would take a good article to explain how I work with everything and how it evolved over time. It was a pain though and I was sure the 650 was my last Palm. My Centro was free from Amazon, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it. The Centro managed to surprise me. It doesn't crash, it works. I have to say that I'm using it more and more in place of my PC.

That said, I'm truly mystified by Palm's difficulties in getting things to work right over the years.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Any opinions on Ascendo DataVault vs SplashData SplashID out there? I've been using Dataviz PasswordsPlus for years, but that's not being ported to the Blackberry, so I'm looking for a replacement. Both DataVault and SplashID get good reviews, so I'm curious about any real world experiences you might have.
    I was a long time Treo SplashID user and I switched to the 8830 on Sprint late last summer. I tried a few programs and decided to pay the upgrade fee and switch from Palm to BB w/ my SplashID license. It works very well on the BB. Easy to find, sort and filter items. GUI is pretty good. No issues.

Syncs with the desktop fine. I recommend it.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm trialing both now and for the most part, they seem pretty equivalent. The biggest item so far is that SplashID supports 9 data fields whereas DataVault supports 10. Since PasswordsPlus supported 10fields, I have hundreds of items, and the DataVault CSV import is very flexible, I'll likely move to DataVault.
    I'm a bit surprised some people wrote off BB entirely due to multimedia. BB's main purpose is still business use first and foremost anyway, and definitely does that VERY well.

So what phones DO handle the H.264 codec if it's that important? Treo? 8525? Tilt? Just curious.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    After 22 months with a 700w and 2 months with a 700wx, I took the plunge and purchased a Verizon 8830. I have now had it almost two weeks. My initial observations:

As a phone it is superior. It is much faster to answer calls, use speed dial services and other call related items. The Treo was always sluggish. I do not find the ringer to be too soft and the quality of the phone sound is quite good. The speakerphone is not as good as on the Treo.

I find that the track ball while useful is not as quick as a touch screen, but the keyboard shortcuts make it very fast indeed. There are many shortcuts that speed up screen navigation.

The PDA functions are okay. Some good, some not so good. The calendar sync sometimes doubles up events, something I haven't had to deal with since my Palm OS days.

The fact that I can now wirelessly sync notes and subfolders is awesome. I never understood why Windows mobile left out that feature.

The headset jack is truely bizarre. There is much discussion on Blackberry sites about how difficult it is to use a stereo jack. Some 2.5" plugs work , some don't And I thought they were standard. The media player is ok about on a par with windows media player which I always disliked and never used.

Email is, of course, good and is much faster to work with than the Windows mobile version.

Battery life is much better than with the Treo. I do not need to charge up every day anymore.

Will I keep it? ...probably but I am interested that the Curve may be coming soon to Verizon, if only to get the better keyboard. I find the 8830's keyboard a bit cramped, not as good as the treo's, but I am getting used to it.
    The Curve's keyboard is worse than the 8830. The Curve is narrower so if you think the 8830's keyboard is cramped... I liked the 8830. My peeves were that it was really light on the PDA functionality, I missed the chat style SMS, and I really missed the touchscreen. And I used the hell out of it for the month I had it, but I went to the Centro, and my only real wish in comparison would be for the Centro to be a little bit thinner. But the Curve and 8830 are definitely worthy competitors despite what some on here might say.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    JC - Curious, are you using the BB 8830 on the BES (blackberry enterprise server)?

Thx
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast