Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    For the people complaining about the memory issue. ive been victim to this too. Update the OS and desktop manager. then while holding the ALT key type L G L G then let go of the ALt key. youll go to to the Event Log. Clear all logs then toggle all your logging to OFF. No memory leaks to ZERO in 2 weeks.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I still don't understand the need for people to come here saying "I'm leaving Palm and the Treo behind", or I've left the Treo for some other device and I'm so much happier.
    Who cares? What do you want a cookie, a medal, what?

Did you go to the forum of your last vehicle and tell everyone you've moved on, how about the toilet paper forum to say you've left Charmin for Northern?

It just doesn't make sense to me, and please don't give me the "Well hopefully Palm is reading and paying attention crap".
    For every one thread where someone says they're leaving there are 3 saying new Treo user here.

/rant
    Actually it helps me quite a bit. I need to choose a new carrier and plan rather quickly, and before commiting to a device and 2-year contract I want to know ...
    Does it work? Does it work when I NEED it?
    I wanted a Treo until a fair number of random Treo owners I'd asked told me of resets and "I'm on my 3rd..5th...6th phone". It sounds like a terrific device, probably the best overall... when it works. That's not the old Palm - my Vx went months without a reset... and excluding those caused by one bad app I can think of one crash in the 1st year I had it.

There is no place to get objective statistics about the reliability of these gadgets. The best comparison I can think of is from someone who's put substantial time and effort into using two (or more) competing devices.

So it's a service to the board when former Treo users come back with their observations after living with a competing device for a few weeks. Besides doing the same test myself ($$$, or at least the hassle of Fedexing stuff back on day 28) it's the single best input I can think of.
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Ditto SuperCrackBerry : It's because of people returning to the forum with their experiences and opinions of other devices that makes TC such a good resource.

After poring over the forums plus borrowing my boyfriend's for a few days, I made the decision to switch to a BB 8830. I switched from VZW to Alltel -- the only real alternative where I live -- just to get away from VZW's exorbitant data plan, and was planning to get a 755p. My 650 experience has been pretty good, but it took a lot of time to get it relatively stable and easy to restore when it crashed.

Seeing the 8830's sleek design (relative to 650/755's) -- yes, I'm a sucker for shiny new toys -- in the Alltel store, I began to consider changing. Getting all the input from TC and other forums helped me figure out what I needed and/or wanted in a smartphone and what I could do without.

So after a day with my new BB, it's been an easy transition. Yes, I miss the Palm PIM, the touchscreen and camera at times, and some of my favorite apps.

Nonetheless, the 8830 rocks! Trackball works great for me, menus mostly intuitive, you can run multiple apps, and very little lag time between them. I don't need Volume Care(!); my Disco 655 BT not only works, but I can wander more than five feet away without nasty static; adding media is simple; and synching is quick and easy. The BB is touch wider than I would like, but its lighter weight overcomes that.

So it's sad to say buh-bye, Treo & Palm OS, but life's too short for a needy, passive-aggressive smartphone whose parent has all but abandoned its offspring. Someday, should Palm get its s*&t together, I may very well come back to the fold.
    Last edited by T-bred; 11/09/2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: grammar errors
    Ha Ha!

It is so funny that after having the BB 8830 for the last 3+ months I am still 100% satisfied with my decision to leave the Palm Treo line forever. I have owned virtually every Palm Pilot through the Treo line and I had finally had it after being screwed twice (700P and 700WX). Someone said in another post that I would be back to the Treo in two weeks. Well, guess what? I still love the BB 8830 more than any PDA/Cell I have ever owned. Long live Research in Motion!!! Blackberry's have really come of age
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Here's a question for those who have made the transition? Can you have memos like you do on the Treo on the Blackberry? How about the phone book? Can it exist independently from a work phone book?
    You definitely have memos like on the Treo. Aside from the builtin spell checker, the functionality is almost the same. About the only diff is on the BB you can send one by Email,SMS,Messenger, or SMS. The Treo offers Bluetooth, IR, or Email.

Not sure about a separate work/personal phone book other than separate categories - at least I can't see any easy way to do that. Can't really do that on the Treo either though, right?
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Maybe someone here will know the answer: can the 8830 play H.264-encoded video files?
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    You definitely have memos like on the Treo. Aside from the builtin spell checker, the functionality is almost the same. About the only diff is on the BB you can send one by Email,SMS,Messenger, or SMS. The Treo offers Bluetooth, IR, or Email.

Not sure about a separate work/personal phone book other than separate categories - at least I can't see any easy way to do that. Can't really do that on the Treo either though, right?
    Just to provide some additional detail, I've been using Goodlink on my Treo 700p, which comes with its own phone book that syncs with Outlook. When Goodlink was initially installed, it took over the Treo's built in contacts so that the caller ID, etc. would link to the Goodlink database rather than the built in Treo's contact list...fortunately there's a work around for this. So...on my Treo, I have the native Palm phone book along with the Goodlink's phone book. My question then with the Blackberry device...does the native phone book have to directly reflect Outlook's, if you sync with Outlook?
    can you text on the BB 8830?
    yes, but it's not threaded like Treo messaging is.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Maybe someone here will know the answer: can the 8830 play H.264-encoded video files?
    No one knows over here either. I'm going to assume that the BB just can't do multimedia very well.
    No one knows over here either. I'm going to assume that the BB just can't do multimedia very well.
    Perhaps no one cares.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Hmm...don't know the technical details, but it can play MP4 files.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Perhaps no one cares.
    Yes, it sounds like the BBs can't do multimedia. Kind of a waste.

Confirmed. No BB can play mp4 movies using the AVC codec. No third-party players can do it either. Bye bye, blackberry.
    Last edited by nsxprime; 12/23/2007 at 10:17 AM.
    I have my pearl & love it! No looking back treo! Only negatives are no threaded SMS, cannot play streaming radio out of the box (3rd party apps I think), the email program is kinda sucky. Only syncs inbox. Oh well, everything else is great! Integrated GPS, stable device, love the tracknall, 2.0 camera WITH flash, and more...
    Apparently not with OS 4.2.2 per this link which shows everything that is/isn't supported. Not sure if that changes with OS 4.3.x or not.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Apparently not with OS 4.2.2 per this link which shows everything that is/isn't supported. Not sure if that changes with OS 4.3.x or not.
    That's what I found and posted above. No third-party software can play H.264 on BB OS either.
    Ok, since I'm not an expert on codecs, is H.264 same as AVC and why is that better than DivX, Xvid or others?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
    Just to provide some additional detail, I've been using Goodlink on my Treo 700p, which comes with its own phone book that syncs with Outlook. When Goodlink was initially installed, it took over the Treo's built in contacts so that the caller ID, etc. would link to the Goodlink database rather than the built in Treo's contact list...fortunately there's a work around for this. So...on my Treo, I have the native Palm phone book along with the Goodlink's phone book. My question then with the Blackberry device...does the native phone book have to directly reflect Outlook's, if you sync with Outlook?
    I had GoodLink for awhile and did the same workaround. For me anyway, I'd rather have one address book so I hated the way Good had it's own.

With the BB, I haven't found a way to have separate Outlook and "other" address books. It may be possible, but I've looked thru all the options and don't see a way to do it. Not a problem for me, but sounds like it was important for you.
    Ok, since I'm not an expert on codecs, is H.264 same as AVC and why is that better than DivX, Xvid or others?
    H.264 is AVC and is much better than the other codecs because it's a variable bitrate video encoder. Huge difference in picture quality and filesize. HD-DVD and BluRay both use H.264 as does iTunes and YouTube.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast