Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Bottom line....for "most" us we want reliable email reception, sms reception, calendar and be able to make/receive a phone call reliably. The "nice to haves" are they myriad of programs available for the various TREO OS'. As someone who has owned a treo since the 90 and spent hundreds of dollars on various "cool" software....at the end of the day I had to put my 750 to rest for the BBerry Curve. What a difference a switch makes! I don't worry that I will not be able to answer the incoming call, I don't have to worry about the reset at the worse time, I don't have to do a soft reset every 30 secs. Reliability is not an issue. If you are in an industry where reliable communication is important there is no question that the BB wins hands down, no debate. If you truly need the add-on functionality that is available with the various Treo OS platforms then we are fortunate that there are communities like this to help out. In all fairness...the blackberry forums do not have nearly the number of complaints and myriad of the same complaints from regular users just wanting the out of box experience to be good. So...goodbye Treo...I will peek over at my wife's from time to time but at the end of the day...or the begining of the day...when the phone rings..I just want to say hello not worry about the russian roulette of the resets or freezes!
    Hey all,

Looks like a lot of you are switching or have switched already. I just added a similar post to this one a few minutes ago. I switched from the 700WX after having used Palm products from the very beginning. The Blackberry 8830 is the best phone I have ever used, hands down. I use my phone for real business, this device is polished, period. Little things like having the phone prompt you to dial an extension stored in your address entry after the initial number is dialed is PRICELESS. Anyone who wants to have a point by point duel on Treo vs. Blackberry 8830 for REAL BUSINESS USE, bring it on. There are a whole lot of "strawman" arguments that can be made which will focus on camera, multimedia, and 3rd party software features but in the end they don't matter for real world use.

If you are a teenager and carry the phone for looks and wow factor, don't bother to call me out for a real point by point comparison. There are too many of these types of people carrying Treo's etc. for this reason. I laugh when I see a teenager or someone who is obviously not engaged in any serious business use sporting a Treo. It is complete overkill for those types of users. There are many regular cell phones with QWERTY keyboards, bluetooth, camera and multimedia capabilities that cost half as much and do texting, pictures, bluetooth and multimedia better, for less money and hassle.
    Treo is a hobbie for a lot of geeks and I agree about the teenagers and you would be surprised that most that act like that aren't teenagers that have a Treo and don't even tap into it...they baught an expensive Text messaging device.

Example
    at&t iPhone3G
    Is there a 3rd party app for a BB that is comparable to PhoneAlarm? I love this app on my 700w but hate the phone and really need a rock solid device.
    Quote Originally Posted by binarydreams View Post
    Hey all,

Looks like a lot of you are switching or have switched already. I just added a similar post to this one a few minutes ago. I switched from the 700WX after having used Palm products from the very beginning. The Blackberry 8830 is the best phone I have ever used, hands down. I use my phone for real business, this device is polished, period. Little things like having the phone prompt you to dial an extension stored in your address entry after the initial number is dialed is PRICELESS. Anyone who wants to have a point by point duel on Treo vs. Blackberry 8830 for REAL BUSINESS USE, bring it on. There are a whole lot of "strawman" arguments that can be made which will focus on camera, multimedia, and 3rd party software features but in the end they don't matter for real world use.

If you are a teenager and carry the phone for looks and wow factor, don't bother to call me out for a real point by point comparison. There are too many of these types of people carrying Treo's etc. for this reason. I laugh when I see a teenager or someone who is obviously not engaged in any serious business use sporting a Treo. It is complete overkill for those types of users. There are many regular cell phones with QWERTY keyboards, bluetooth, camera and multimedia capabilities that cost half as much and do texting, pictures, bluetooth and multimedia better, for less money and hassle.
    Good stuff - I read your other post too. It is not a mistake that BB OWNS the business/professional market. MSFT and Palm have much work to do, IMO, to catch up. And now RIM is starting to dip into the consumer market (pearl & curve). If they'll drop their data plan prices, they'll go even further!
    I really am amused when I read some of the nasty posts on this board. It's real simple-you buy/use the device of your choosing. Why get hostile? I bought a Treo 300 way back when followed by the 600 then the 650. I had a Pilot before that. I LOVE the Palm OS however BB is a very slick machine-period! I use my 650 for email, web surfing, stock quotes etc and that's it. Guess what? I don't need a Treo. I don't have to make mention of all the resets,lockups etc. The Treo was super and most importantly it was the first real smartphone. RIM has caught up with the Treo. I still have my Treo as Sprint gives me a super plan. I certainly can see a BB 8830 when the Plans are competitive.
    I just bought a refurbished unlocked Treo 650 to use as a second phone for international travel. I've been testing it out for a couple of days, and aside from terrible customer support on AT&T and the lack of EVDO, and a horrible amount of stray noise from the GSM radio that I can hear on my studio speakers, this phone works much better than the 700p. Loaded with a similar amount of software to what I have on my 700p, there are no lags or resets. It reminds me of why I've stuck with the Palm platform for so many years. I can only hope that the new Linux-based devices will be satisfactory. The 700p is just a lemon of a design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I just bought a refurbished unlocked Treo 650 to use as a second phone for international travel. I've been testing it out for a couple of days, and aside from terrible customer support on AT&T and the lack of EVDO, and a horrible amount of stray noise from the GSM radio that I can hear on my studio speakers, this phone works much better than the 700p. Loaded with a similar amount of software to what I have on my 700p, there are no lags or resets. It reminds me of why I've stuck with the Palm platform for so many years. I can only hope that the new Linux-based devices will be satisfactory. The 700p is just a lemon of a design.
    I have a 650 on AT&T. Funny you should mention the stray noise. I have had simialr problems with my iPod FM transmitter in the car. I agree that Edge is horribly slow amd I don't have much in the way of lags or resets on my Treo.
    However, I am not sure why people hate Cingular/AT&T so much. I have found their customer service reps to always be polite and helpful. They have always fixed any issues I have had and promptly provided subsidy unlock codes upon request for both my Treo and my RAZR. Pus they have rollover minutes.

BTW I left Verzion partly because I wanted GSM but also because I think their phone software (that they force everyone but PDA customers to use) really really sucks.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I would probably jump to the 8830 if it weren't for the fact that the BB data plan is $45 vs my $10 PV plan. My 650 is starting to go, so I might upgrade to the 755 since it will be considered a replacement and not an upgrade.

After my contract expires in June, I'm guessing IPhone v2.0 will be out, hopefully with 3G. Maybe they will cut a deal with VZ, but that's wishful thinking on my part. If that happens, adios Palm.
    well I got a loaner 8830 to take to Australia with me. God I can't stand outlook and the stupid syncing getting all the user fields and everything correct. Of course the "switch device" part of the BB desktop manager doesn't work, and supports only answer to it is use Outlook. Why the hell does the world revolve around outlook? I can't stand it.

Anyway...if when it gets done synching (1100 contacts takes forever), I'll be up and running. I already know I don't like the more basic calendar and contacts section. It's definitely not as user friendly, but I've been playing with it for a bit, hopping on the web, checking out some 3rd party programs and such. I haven't had a hiccup yet, and I like the navigation. I haven't wished for the stylus yet. We'll see how it works on GSM down under. Figure I don't need it for work so I won't have any pressure if things take awhile to figure out.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by binarydreams View Post
    Hey all,

One question...what is "real business use"?
    Blackberry 7520 (Nextel)> Palm 700p (Sprint)> Burgundy Palm 755p (Sprint w/sero)> HTC Touch (Sprint w/sero) Apps include: Touchpal, HTC Home Customizer, TCMCP
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I just saw this on the Crackberry.com forum. If this program works (separating BES from BIS) this is the final lynch pin for me switching to the 8830. One of my biggest concerns with the Berry was that BES gets dumped into the same general mailbox as BIS and everything gets mixed up. This seems to solve the issue. They also seem to make a pretty cool spell checker and HTML e-mail viewer. Has anyone tried this yet?
    --Denny

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Empower Your BlackBerry
    has a new program that will separate your BES messages from BIS accounts.
    http://www.getempower.com/Empower_BES_MailBox.php
    I have loved my Treo but the evidence is overwhelming-BB has passed Treo. Now if $ is a big concern then maybe you might stay with Treo. I am not able to understand all the technical jargon regarding workarounds for the BES but it seems that you can even circumvent that cost for the most part. he second I can get a curve with builtin GPS and maybe wifi also I am going BB.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    The issue with Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) and Blackberry Internet Server (BIS) is that if you have BES messages (from a Corporate server) and personal e-mail such as Yahoo!, GMail, etc (via BIS) all of the messages get mixed together. BIS messages can all be accessed via individual folders and an icon but all BES messages get dumped into the main mailbox and hence get mixed in with all of the other messages including BIS, SMS, etc. This new piece of software gives you an individual icon/folder for BES so BES and BIS don't get all mixed up and you can access ONLY BES messages. Make sense now?
    --Denny
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Anyway...if when it gets done synching (1100 contacts takes forever), I'll be up and running. I already know I don't like the more basic calendar and contacts section. It's definitely not as user friendly, but I've been playing with it for a bit, hopping on the web, checking out some 3rd party programs and such. I haven't had a hiccup yet, and I like the navigation. I haven't wished for the stylus yet. We'll see how it works on GSM down under. Figure I don't need it for work so I won't have any pressure if things take awhile to figure out.
    Interesting. For me, the BB contacts app was perfect since it let me enter almost all the info needed about a contact. And BB is a lot simpler to use all the way around IMO. They do need a better calender program though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Prince View Post
    One question...what is "real business use"?
    Using for work or profession related email, calls, schedules, etc.; I would say.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Using for work or profession related email, calls, schedules, etc.; I would say.
    Real biz use is as above, especially when you're mobile and don't have access to a standard pc or phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Interesting. For me, the BB contacts app was perfect since it let me enter almost all the info needed about a contact. And BB is a lot simpler to use all the way around IMO. They do need a better calender program though.
    The contacts app does seem to map well to Outlook's fields. To do that on the Treo, you need something like Keysuite.
    Palm user for 9 years had them all and loved them.
    However after seeing a friends BB 8300 curve 1 week ago I made a mad choice and did a o2 upgrade to a 8300 just for fun.
    I am amazed how far they have come and all I can say is that the palm desktop, cradle is now gone!
    It is a great solution and so so so so much nicer, easier to use.
    Don't believe me or want to then try one for yourself for 1 day and you will see exactly what I am on about.
    See ya
    Well I'm pro-blackberry, and I thoroughly enjoyed using it for 3 weeks, but I didn't upgrade to one. I'm sticking with Palm. For me, everything on it was great, but the PIM function. I'm so used to the additional PIM functionality the third party programs provide, that I need it. It makes me more productive. And as nice as everything was on the BB, the PIM sucks. Well not sucks, but is pretty bad compared to what third party software can do on the Palm. For the generation that they're in with the BB, I'm very surprised it still is what it is. People that are just email centric and just need the basics in PIM functionality shouldn't have any complaints.

The other negatives, and again, for me they are very important. I want to be able to back up to a storage card. I rarely, as in almost never, sync with my computer. Really, why do I need to? Anything I need to add on I can do OTA or put the card in a card reader and load it up. To me that is a BASIC function, and you still can't do that on a BB. You also can't run programs or do anything but storage on the card in a BB. And apparently there's only so much room on a bb. So if you do try to load it up with programs, have alot of cache files and such, you start losing memory for you call logs and such. I even lost quite a few emails, but don't know if I can attribute it to that. I also missed the touchscreen. Yes you can do without it, but I missed it. I liked the ease of cutting and pasting. I like the ability to directly select things instead of rolling the cursor all around. Going through a long web page to a link is so much easier because you can page up and down and just plain navigate easier. It's like having a mouse. And playing card games and such is much easier with the touchscreen. Play some solitaire and you'll see.

So it is not without it's flaws, and unfortunately, those flaws kept me from upgrading to it. I will be giving the Centro a shot. Yes, something of that size should've been around a generation ago, but hopefully the third time is the charm with this basic hardware design, and it just needs to last until a linux version is out. I don't care about the smaller screen or cramped keyboard. I'm sure I'll grow accustomed to the keyboard, and I was happy with my i500 screen. I'll take the small phone over a giant screen anyday. So that's my take.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast