Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 148
  1. JCFox's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
       #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Now that the post is in the right forum, hopefully there'll be no more complaints.
    ...and probably no more posts! But that's ok, I just wanted to contribute a little of the options that are available to smartphone users once they decide to move away from the Treo.

    Sure, once Palm gets its act together, I'd consider another Palm product....but, given what I've seen, it will be a while.

    Thanks to everyone for all the help and advise over the years.

    JCFox
    Over and out!
    =====================================================================================
    Palm Pilot, Palm Vx, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700pos and FINALLY:
    BLACKBERRY 8830, because it just WORKS!!
  2. #42  
    If this were a general thread about blackberry I'd agree. But I disagree in this case because it's a direct comparison to the 700p with a compare and contrast theme. It belongs in the 700p forum. I would never think to look in a blackberry forum on a treo site. Mods take too many liberties to please whiners, and in this case one in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Now that the post is in the right forum, hopefully there'll be no more complaints.
    Want to thank LNoble for his informative post. When I meet with Sprint about redoing our Business plan, will definitely be giving the 8830 consideration. Stability is key, and I just haven't had it with the Treo, nor have the other five treo users on our account.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3. #43  
    I had a Blackberry 7100 years back and it didn't work well, how does the new ones compare if I may ask?

    Go to general chat and you will see my delimma
  4. JCFox's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
       #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodgyrl View Post
    I had a Blackberry 7100 years back and it didn't work well, how does the new ones compare if I may ask?

    Go to general chat and you will see my delimma
    As you can read from my original post - the BlackBerry "Just Works!!"

    It's a great phone. I own the Verizon 8830 - and I have NO complaints!
    =====================================================================================
    Palm Pilot, Palm Vx, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700pos and FINALLY:
    BLACKBERRY 8830, because it just WORKS!!
  5. #45  
    TC'ers,

    I also am a long time Palm and Treo user. I switched to the 8830 about a month ago and while I do prefer it to the 700p I had - it is far from perfect.
    1. Yes it is stable. However there are bugs. One big one is a memory leak in the 4.2.x OS on all the 88XX series units. It will continue to lose free memory until it runs out and deletes half your email, your call log and your SMS messages. To avoid this you will need to pull the battery every few days and recover your memory. It is a bigger deal if you load lots of programs because memory will go to zero sooner. (Btw, if you doubt this go to Blackberryforums.com and search for "memory leak") Also there was a pretty big bug in the Calendar app that was just fixed with a patch.
    2. I miss threaded SMS
    3. You can't leverage an SD card like you can on Palm. You can't store programs there so th above issue is more of a problem. You also can't back-up witha program like Resco or BKup Buddy.

    There are a few other things too. Lack of camera, lower screen resolution, no streaming media, etc... But overall I am happier because email is awesome, it doesn't crash, Bluetooth works, it is thinner, I love the scroll wheel and the auto screen brightness and more.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
  6. #46  
    Memory leaks? I have to soft reset on Windows Mobile, so I'm used to that, LOL! Although never once has my Pearl deleted my stuff as far as I can tell. Try the free program Soft Reset, and see if it works instead of pulling out the battery.

    You can get threaded SMS sort of, by staying under the phone number you're texting and just looking at the conversation. The newest texts are near the top, or at least they are on my machine. The thread goes up instead of down.

    Yeah all you can store on mircoSD for the BB is fun stuff, but that wasn't a huge deal for me since there was no need for me to buy tons of apps for the BB. I think I bought 3 or 4 at the most.

    Lack of camera? You'd have to get the consumer BBs then(Curve, Pearl), which Sprint and Verizon don't offer. I also think the Curve has decent resolution, although I'm not completely sure about the media. I think they're coming out with wifi and 3G BBs for the US soon, those might be able to stream media.

    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    although I'm not completely sure about the media. I think they're coming out with wifi and 3G BBs for the US soon, those might be able to stream media.

    They are...probably next 2-3 months but it will be Wifi or 3g, not both apparently. Media on BBs I've heard is okay but no nearly as robust as WM/POS, which is to be expected since they (RIM) are still new to that area.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #48  
    i think the important fact is that they can offer media and still have an incredibly stable device. the pearl may not do it all but it works great. still the email-biz centric device to beat in my eyes.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  9. #49  
    Or it's big brother, the Curve. Sweet little BB too, not as big as it looks in pictures. And the screen looks great to me, for a BB!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #50  
    I have the Curve. It's a great device, but I really miss having ms exchange. I need the ability to wirelessly sync calendar, notes, etc. Apparently, the only way for me to have this feature on the Curve is to upgrade to a hosted BES. That's the only downfall to me. Otherwise, it's rock solid.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i think the important fact is that they can offer media and still have an incredibly stable device. the pearl may not do it all but it works great. still the email-biz centric device to beat in my eyes.
    My wife can't wait untilt the Pearl 2 comes to Sprint this fall...CDMA on the Pearl all the way. The Pearl will be nice on a real 3G network.
    at&t iPhone3G
  12. dbasham's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    #52  
    So I do have a question about how the 8830 handles BES e-mail vs regular e-mail. Is it true that BES gets dumpbed ONLY in the main Inbox where you can see ALL e-mail so that there is no way to sort out regular email (Yahoo, etc) from BES messages? I understand that icons/folders gets created for all other e-mail but that BES email doesn't (and can't) get a folder. Is this true?
    --Denny
  13. sjjones's Avatar
    Posts
    757 Posts
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    TC'ers,

    I also am a long time Palm and Treo user. I switched to the 8830 about a month ago and while I do prefer it to the 700p I had - it is far from perfect.
    1. Yes it is stable. However there are bugs. One big one is a memory leak in the 4.2.x OS on all the 88XX series units. It will continue to lose free memory until it runs out and deletes half your email, your call log and your SMS messages. To avoid this you will need to pull the battery every few days and recover your memory. It is a bigger deal if you load lots of programs because memory will go to zero sooner. (Btw, if you doubt this go to Blackberryforums.com and search for "memory leak") Also there was a pretty big bug in the Calendar app that was just fixed with a patch.
    2. I miss threaded SMS
    3. You can't leverage an SD card like you can on Palm. You can't store programs there so th above issue is more of a problem. You also can't back-up witha program like Resco or BKup Buddy.

    There are a few other things too. Lack of camera, lower screen resolution, no streaming media, etc... But overall I am happier because email is awesome, it doesn't crash, Bluetooth works, it is thinner, I love the scroll wheel and the auto screen brightness and more.
    Any memory leaks were only in the verizon 8830 (NOT ALL)

    love the sprint 8830 very very reliable.
  14. #54  
    I consider this thread very interesting, thank you.

    I have a 755p and am considering switching to the curve when TMO gets it (rumored to be end of this month). I've also spent 30 days with a Pearl this summer.

    My thoughts:
    - Curve seems to be only available on GSM in the near future (for good and for bad).
    - BB is more stable and has most of the programs that I need, though, based on its history, many of the programs were designed with old BB's in mind not the current series that have memory cards. This means many programs depend on online connectivity. For example, Zagats restaurant guide (a program I use a lot) on the Treo is fully usable with no service, while on the BB, it's not. I would hope this would change over time. The BB's seem to have enough memory that you wouldn't need to put a program on the card, though it is an annoying limitation.
    - I hope that BB comes out with something in-between BES and BIS, e.g., they could host a BES-like service that interacts over the internet with exchange server. BIS doesn't sync email well enough and even the small business version of BES scares my IT guys (the firm is focused on goodlink since most employees have treos).

    My Questions include
    - the TMO curve is rumored to work with TMO's At-Home service whereby the phone is supposed to move seamlessly between WiFi VOIP and Tmo's network. Anyone have experience with this?

    Thanks.
    ------
    Dave
  15. #55  
    Sjjones,

    I'm sorry but you are flat out mistaken. I and many others have the memory leak in our new Sprint 8830's with OS 4.2.2.123 - the latest version. It is better than the previous version from the original 8800's and the Verizon 8830, but it is definitly still there. A little reseach will go a long way for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Any memory leaks were only in the verizon 8830 (NOT ALL)

    love the sprint 8830 very very reliable.
    Last edited by Homie; 09/06/2007 at 10:38 AM.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
  16. #56  
    dbh1 - the current curve doesn't have wifi. But RIM plans to release Curve with wifi soon...
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    dbh1 - the current curve doesn't have wifi. But RIM plans to release Curve with wifi soon...
    Which is the one I am eyeballing

    Also the 8820 will have Wifi and GPS which should turn out to be quite the device which I also will take a look at.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodgyrl View Post
    I had a Blackberry 7100 years back and it didn't work well, how does the new ones compare if I may ask?

    Go to general chat and you will see my delimma
    They are smaller and have a ball instead of a wheel.
  19. #59  
    I had the 8830 from verizon, because i complained about the treo 700p they gave it to me for $40 bucks but that phone is terrible it resets and the ringtones are too low they had a patch but that didn't work, the internet is crazy slow and res is so bad i thought i was looking at a cartoon,all in all i returned it and now waiting for the 755p or 800p. I couldn't even keep it for $40 bucks thats sad
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
  20. #60  
    ^^^
    Interesting opinion. My original 8830 reset about 20 times the first day I had it. I exchanged it and now my 8830 has not reset once in almost 2 months. It has a memory leak but not resets. My 700p would reset at the worst times - receiving a call, checking my calendar or looking for info on the net. I don't have that problem at all with the Blackberry.

    As far as the resolution complaint, that doesn't make sense. Even though the vertical resolution of the BB is only 240 v. the treo's 320, they are really are the same pixel density. The Treo just has a little bigger screen. Maybe you just don't like the fonts? But outside of length, the screens are the same - and colors seem deeper and brighter on the 8830.

    But to eash his own. I bet there are a bunch of folks here who would pay you double what you paid for the 8830 and give you their 700p.
    Last edited by Homie; 09/09/2007 at 08:40 PM.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions