Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I've been trying a BB 8830, but unfortunately it seems like a big step backwards in terms of functionality and usability, so I'm sticking with my 700p (old ROM is buggy but acceptable for my purposes.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
    I, for one, appreciate these types of posts. I'm considering switching from the 700p as well. I find it helpful to hear from former palm users who have transitioned away from the Treo to find out how they like different devices.
    Then goto another forum thats based on the phone your looking into. This does the treo community no good to have topics on other phones. If I was interested in switching phones I wouldn't come here for information on it. I come here for information on Treos not just to talk trash and tell everyone I left palm and am not looking back.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Then goto another forum thats based on the phone your looking into. This does the treo community no good to have topics on other phones. If I was interested in switching phones I wouldn't come here for information on it. I come here for information on Treos not just to talk trash and tell everyone I left palm and am not looking back.

If you had no interest in a discussion about switching phones, why did you even bother reading a thread entitled, "60 Days since I dumped the Treo 700p for a BlackBerry 8830 - No Looking Back!!"? There are a lot of threads I have no interest in and I find it pretty easy to just ignore them. If no one has an interest, the thread quickly and quietly slips away.
    outside of the trash talking end of it, I for one would welcome comparisons to other phones. If I just went to a BB forum, I'd have to search and search just to find people that came over from a POS phone as they could've switched form any other phone. At least in this forum, the people that switch to other phones and offer their insight have experience with the particular phone I have. They share the same problems I have, and just might have the same issues I worry about or the ones I hope to get rid of by switching to whatever product.

Besides....regardless of which forum you go to, you're going to get bias one way or the other. At least by going to both sides you can weed through the bullsh*t to find out what you really want to know.

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    well, I am a guy who "looked back" and returned to a 1.06 700p. BB was to restricting and a little wider than i like in a phone. rock solid though, thats for sure. but the treo 700 is stable too in my experience. I used it for a year before getting the 8830. anyone wanna buy a 8830?
    Sure. I'm game for trying it. As long as the price is reasonable. My 700p has been a long time of frustration. At least with my i500 I didn't have the functionality to miss or be frustrated with. I just need a really good phone and pda that I can do the same internet functions I do now on the Treo. I've tried to be the "power user", but I end up not doing a majority of what I think I will and would just be happy with the basics in a stable platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo View Post
    well, I am a guy who "looked back" and returned to a 1.06 700p. BB was to restricting and a little wider than i like in a phone. rock solid though, thats for sure. but the treo 700 is stable too in my experience. I used it for a year before getting the 8830. anyone wanna buy a 8830?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble View Post
    If you had no interest in a discussion about switching phones, why did you even bother reading a thread entitled, "60 Days since I dumped the Treo 700p for a BlackBerry 8830 - No Looking Back!!"? There are a lot of threads I have no interest in and I find it pretty easy to just ignore them. If no one has an interest, the thread quickly and quietly slips away.

Maybe because I have the right as a member to speak up and say what I think. I know thats a marval idea but I don't think this topic belongs here. Thats what I think so I said it. And I will continue to say it. This forum was designed for members to come together and discuss treos not blackberrys or your hatred of palm hence the name of the site is treocentral. If you want to talk crap about how bad your experience was go to palm and gripe. You are a very small percentage of people that have major issues with palm. You have your opinions and I have mine. Flame on!
    It seems like there are a select few who want a b*tchfest and others that have more of an interest in a compare and contrast sort of way.

Those who want the b*tchfest, maybe you should start your own forum where it's all just warm pink fuzzies about your palm. You can all sit around a campfire and sing songs about Palm. Give each other hugs and say your palm is the best. No, your palm is the best. Geez. Get over yourselves.

This could be a perfectly good thread to compare and contrast the Treo and the BB and help people make decisions on which phone is best for them. It's a perfectly valid thread to have in a Palm forum. And that's my opinion that I'm entitled to have. Unfortunately people get defensive about the products they own and it turns into a "Palm rules, Blackberry sucks!" "No, Blackberry rules, and Palm sucks!" thread.

Thanks for contributing to the latter. I'm not happy with my 700p. I complain a little about it. If I do leave for a BB does it mean I'll be on here bragging? No. I might express my opinion of liking A, B and C, but I'd also say I miss X, Y & Z. And I'll also be roaming around here to see what Palm does have coming down the road because it doesn't mean I'll be married to BB forever.

So keep expressing your opinion and contribute to the reason threads like this become hurtful and not helpful.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    OK so I've been reading this Forum forever and I've also had a Treo forever. I started with the Treo 270, moved to the 600 and now have a 700P. In general I am happy with this phone but there are annoyances like random resets, etc. I am sticking with the 1.06 ROM for now until they iron out the 1.10 ROM. Thank God I stayed on the old version.

Anyway, my biggest issue with the 700P has always been my ability to synch mail. My organization is mainly BBerry so the IT guys never seemed to be able to do what was needed for me to use ActiveSync and VersaMail to synch contacts. I have been happily using Chatter for a while. However, the last time I traveled it just got to be a big deal that I couldn't synch my calendar. TomTom also seemed to kee[ crashing right when I needed to make a turn and I finally decided that that feature was dead to me. I went and bought a TomTom One for $200 and that made life easier. Now I can do blue tooth and get directions at the same time. Nice.

So that still leaves the problem of synch. I too any seriously considering the 8830 because it is a Blackberry and it will synch push everything seamlessly. I am a bit worried about all e-mails coming into the same mailbox (I use Yahoo! for personal e-mail) but having Yahoo! push is also appealing. I don't care about a camera but one thing I HAVE recently started caring about is SMS message threading. If the 8830 just had threading similar to the Treo I would be done.

I am probably still going to try the 8830 to see if I can live with it (I am way used to Palm). I have probably spent about an hour playing with it in the store and I like it although I really love ChatterMail with Exchange. If Chatter just did calendar/contacts/to-dos I would probably stay with Palm as well.

Beyond that I think the 8830 seems like a solid alternative. I can still play poker on it (several versions of hold'em are available), I can still receive attachments and look at them when I need to (I've never tried to edit a Word doc on the Treo, that seems way painful), and I can stilll browse the Web (although my God Palm seems to do this better even though startup is pretty slow). There are things I love about Palm but considering how much is available for the BBery I'm gonna try the 8830 in early Sept and report back.

So, I for one (and I know there are others) welcome this discussion. I am a bit disappointed in Palm Support recently and Blackberry sounds rock solid. Having e-mail/calendar/contacts/To-Do push is very important for me (at least it seems to be) which is the biggest reason I am considering switching.

Things I am curious about from those that used the 8830 for a bit:
    1) How well did SMS work for you? Is there any way to simulate message threading like the 700P? If not I REALLY wish there was a third party solution here?
    2) Did anyone try the instant messages apps? It looks like some of these do SMS but I couldn't 100% tell.
    3) Were you able to have a view where mailboxes were not all blended together. I know there is a way to separate SMS out but I don't want Corporate e-mail blended with my Yahoo! account. For those who have tried what this what did you discover? Is there any quick way to switch between accounts like you can with Chatter (via a button)?
    4) How well did the Today view work? Were you able to see appointments, etc on one screen and effectively see what was up next in your day?
    5) How well does the Berry do with Time Zones? When you flew from one time zone to another did the phone pick up a different time zone? I travel between 3 time zones and the calendar updates are a *****. I know I can manually update times and it should update the calendar internally but this is one of my major gripes about the Treo. I hope someone has tested this.
    6) How fast was Web browsing? Has anyone tried other browsers like Opera that may work better than the built-in browsing?
    7) What about HTML e-mail? Did anyone try the 3rd party tools for this?
    8) Has anyone tried tethering? I personally don't do this much since I have a PC card with high-speed on it but one of my laptops only has a mini PC slot. Thoughts?
    9) Did you get used to the track ball? After playing with an 8830 for an hour I think I could deal with this.
    10) Long-term did you get used to the keyboard? I think I like the Treo's keyboard better but hard to tell over time.
    11) Did you have any crashes? How stable was the Berry? In general how well did things work?
    12) What third-party apps would you recommend?
    13) Did anyone put on the recent Verizon update? Did if fix any issues you saw?

Ok I know that is a long list but these are all the things I am thinking about. Once again I really appreciate this thread and if you don't move on to another thread please rather than starting a flame war or Treo jihad. I wanna love my Treo but after all the stuff I have been through the past 7-8 years I have to consider other options that might work better. Thanks,
    --Denny
    Compared to Chatter on the Treo, I found the BB mail to be incredibly clunky. I couldn't stand it.

However, on the BB you do get a different mail icon for each account plus one for all the messages in a single list, so you can always check each account separately if you want.

Still, I missed the color-coding in Chatter that enabled me to keep mail from several accounts distinguishable even though they were displayed in a single list. It's so easy in Chatter to work through a list of messages, disposing of each one appropriately. Chatter gives you one-key commands that make this easy, but the BB is not so convenient.

The trackball is not hard to get used to. Bluetooth works reliably, and the device is extremely stable and does multitasking.

Third-party software is much less abundant for the BB, but there are a few apps that are useful. Check the BB forums for a list of these.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Cool. I didn't realize there were different icons for each mail account. I keep everything separated in Chatter anyway so that works for me. Now if only SMS message threading were the same (this seems to be a common request on BBerry forums).
    --Denny
    I for one have been with palm since the 600 and had no issues at all with my 700p other than bluetooth until the MR. Post MR I've had nothing but missed/dropped calls, excessive roaming in Sprint heavy service areas, worse bluetooth and so on. (the first MR bricked my original and replacement 700p's)At first I thought it was to do with the PRL, then I tried a new headset eventually I realized the MR was the only thing changed since I purchased the phone new. My calls to Sprint seemed to fall on deaf ears until today when I was actually offered an 8830 for the new subscriber price of $199 after a $100 mail in rebate. The only stipulation was I renew my contract for two years and return my fairly new 700p back to them. Since I changed my plan back in June which upped my contract I didn't lose much ground there and with the SERO plan adding the BB data is not going to kill me. I loved my Treo's but i'm wanting something that works rock solid rather than trying to find third party apps to fix flaws or omissions in the software. I look forward to having voice dialing once again like my old motorola had when I was with VZ. Hopefully Palm gets it's act in gear or it will continue to lose their market.
    Maybe because I have the right as a member to speak up and say what I think. I know thats a marval idea but I don't think this topic belongs here. Thats what I think so I said it. And I will continue to say it. This forum was designed for members to come together and discuss treos not blackberrys or your hatred of palm hence the name of the site is treocentral. If you want to talk crap about how bad your experience was go to palm and gripe. You are a very small percentage of people that have major issues with palm. You have your opinions and I have mine. Flame on!
    You're being too harsh on them. Maybe he should have posted this in the BB subforum, but why is it that big of a deal for him to post he's no longer happy with Palm? He was not offensive and out of hand about it. People gripe on here all day about Palm missing a lot of opportunities anyway! How thoroughly do you read the entire forum? People say a whole lot worse than what he did!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Regardless of the intent of any Treocentral user to 'flame on' as suggested below, I have found the viewpoints of users whom have switched to other platforms to be very helpful. It is precisely from the posts from users whom had explored other platforms that I had identified my replacement platform of choice. As such, I think it is great that other users return to report the findings of their research here. Also please note that it is these returning users whom originally comprised and contributed to the forum in order to establish it in the first place. This forum does not offer exclusivity, and conversely neither does it seem to be corrupted by an excess of off-topic threads-- in fact the current topic is squarely centered on the evaluation of the Treo 700p.

-b

Originally Posted by syphex:
    Quote Originally Posted by dbasham View Post

Things I am curious about from those that used the 8830 for a bit:

--Denny
    Here are some of my takes on the 8830 after three weeks.

3) Were you able to have a view where mailboxes were not all blended together. I know there is a way to separate SMS out but I don't want Corporate e-mail blended with my Yahoo! account. For those who have tried what this what did you discover? Is there any quick way to switch between accounts like you can with Chatter (via a button)?

As someone noted, all e-mail shows up in your main mail folder, and in a separate folder for the appropriate account. When you send an e-mail, you have a default account, but can send it from any account. You make the choice when composing the email.

4) How well did the Today view work? Were you able to see appointments, etc on one screen and effectively see what was up next in your day?

To my surprise, I find the Today screen pretty effective. It is simple, tells me how many messages I have (including sms and vocie mail) and shows upcoming calandar events. For me it works.

6) How fast was Web browsing? Has anyone tried other browsers like Opera that may work better than the built-in browsing?

Once I got used to how it renders the page in sections, I found it works pretty well. No doubt that Blazer on the 700P rendered pages much more accurately, but the BB does a decent good job and is quicker than the Blazer on some pages. On the other hand, some pages are pretty unreadable. There are two browsers on the 8830, though I haven't figured out which is better for what. So far, web browsing has been very stable. Whenever I was going to do any extensive browsing on the 700P, I would first reset it. Still, I knew that after browsing for a while, the 700P would crash. (I'm not complaining, just stating a fact.) The BB hasn't crashed browsing yet. Also, it does multitask, so I can switch to another application and then back to the browser and I'm right where I left off. That is a big improvement.

7) What about HTML e-mail? Did anyone try the 3rd party tools for this?
    HTML e-mail doesn't do well on the BB8830. It's readable, but you get the script instead of the picture or link. I use Empower E-mail Viewer and it does a fair job rendering what I would call a "HTML like" view. You set the background color and text font and it gives you something approaching what the HTML e-mail should look like. You can toggle back and forth between the views.

On the other hand, the BB handles attachements well and makes it easy to delete e-mail off the handheld only or handlheld and desktop on an e-mail by e-mail basis.

8) Has anyone tried tethering? I personally don't do this much since I have a PC card with high-speed on it but one of my laptops only has a mini PC slot. Thoughts?

I've tethered it to my notebook on VZW Access and it works great. My Treo would reset after a while, knocking me off. I haven't had that problem with the BB.

9) Did you get used to the track ball? After playing with an 8830 for an hour I think I could deal with this.

I got used to the trackball pretty quickly. In fact, when I use my wife's 650, I find I miss it. On the other hand, I also sometimes wish the BB had a touch screen. It would be easier in certain apps. It is just a personal preference.

10) Long-term did you get used to the keyboard? I think I like the Treo's keyboard better but hard to tell over time.

Generally, I like the Treo keyboard better, but I've gotten used to the 8830. It's a little harder for me to do one-hand typing without looking since the keys are not as distinct, but I'm learning.

11) Did you have any crashes? How stable was the Berry? In general how well did things work?

This is where the BB really shines. The thing is rock stable. I can switch between apps, surf the web, do text messaging, read e-mail and talk on the phone without a problem. I had my first crash inn three weeks today with InfoSpace Find it, which is a web based app that looks up stores, address, and gives directions, etc. It has a mapping and directions function with voice prompted directions. I tried it out today and the BB crashed after about the third voice prompt. I haven't investigated why. I'm going to check out a BB board when I get a chance.

12) What third-party apps would you recommend?

I have the HTML e-mail viewer and DocHawk for reading and saving documents, though I would not necessarily recommend it. If all you want to do is read documents, the BB handles Word, PDF and Powerpoint files on its own. I'm waiting for DOCs to Go to come up with a BB version.

I use Splash ID. A word of caution here. I had upgraded to ver 4 of the Palm verison. The BB uses version 3. I could not figure out how to transfer the Ver 4 data to the BB ver. 3.

I also have Aces Texas Hold-Em and Black Jack.

Overall, my experience is that the Palm OS version of an app is a little more polished than the BB version. But the BB version is more stable.

13) Did anyone put on the recent Verizon update? Did if fix any issues you saw?

The BB 8830 I got has the latest version of the OS.

These are just my impressions, you may feel differently. I'm sticking with the BB for now. I miss the flexibility of the Treo, but couldn't tolerate the instability and network disconnects But if Palm (or anyone else) comes up with a stable PDA/Phone with what I need, I'll switch again. This isn't personal.
    LNoble:
    Fantastic commentary.

Some personal questions:

1) Do you use a bluetooth headset with it? If so what kind.
    2) Can you synch via bluetooth?
    3) Have you tried Opera Mini on it
    4) Are you using GPS w/ it? I know they neuter the GPS. Curious if you have an external or just rely on Infospace for turn by turn directions.
    5) How happy are you w/ the stability of the 8830?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You're being too harsh on them. Maybe he should have posted this in the BB subforum, but why is it that big of a deal for him to post he's no longer happy with Palm? He was not offensive and out of hand about it. People gripe on here all day about Palm missing a lot of opportunities anyway! How thoroughly do you read the entire forum? People say a whole lot worse than what he did!
    The only reason I spoke up was because I come here for informational purposes for treos and I expect that under a category of 700p I wouldn't expect someone to put up a topic about Blackberries. I don't have a problem with people having issues with palm. But I just thought I would voice my opinion of a blackberry topic being in a treo category. There is already a blackberry topic in this forum that it would be better placed. Thats all. Again if I was interested in switching phones i would not be posting here I would be posting in the new phones forums not trying to get people to say I made the right choice by leaving palm to make myself feel better. And yes I read quite a lot from every topic in this forum and have seen worse but they have all at least been palm related not "Ive left palm and am not looking back with my shinny new blackberry".

As for this posted by - 700p_isaheadache

"Regardless of the intent of any Treocentral user to 'flame on' as suggested below, I have found the viewpoints of users whom have switched to other platforms to be very helpful. It is precisely from the posts from users whom had explored other platforms that I had identified my replacement platform of choice. As such, I think it is great that other users return to report the findings of their research here. Also please note that it is these returning users whom originally comprised and contributed to the forum in order to establish it in the first place. This forum does not offer exclusivity, and conversely neither does it seem to be corrupted by an excess of off-topic threads-- in fact the current topic is squarely centered on the evaluation of the Treo 700p."

I have no problem with these topics as long as they are in the right place. And no his post was not squarely centered around the 700p. People are new to these phones might come here thinking that they are nothing by trouble and might switch to another brand of phone with out giving it a chance. Now yes I loved my 700p and now love my 755p (wife still has 700p so I stick around here trying to help people having problems with it) and will support palm through to the next stage of phones simply because I understand how computers work and thats pretty much what this phone is.
    Last edited by syphex; 08/28/2007 at 06:21 PM.
    Have to say that I still hang around here just because it is one of the most informative forums on ALL devices. I left my Treo 8 months ago. I know the name is "treocentral", but there are a bunch of cutting edge folks here who try all types of PDA's. Other Palm-based forums as well as BB-based forums just don't have the level of expertise across the board as TC has hanging out here. I wander away, but I always come back here to get a "real world" view. (Gee, glad this thread got moved!)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Have to say that I still hang around here just because it is one of the most informative forums on ALL devices. I left my Treo 8 months ago. I know the name is "treocentral", but there are a bunch of cutting edge folks here who try all types of PDA's. Other Palm-based forums as well as BB-based forums just don't have the level of expertise across the board as TC has hanging out here. I wander away, but I always come back here to get a "real world" view. (Gee, glad this thread got moved!)
    I agree Tex and that is why I will stay Treo or no Treo. I try not to get personal here...with a little fun here and there and the its rich member base its all about how TC can be so imformative and operate as a fourm should as apposed to just being a place where members hang and form clicks leading to non imformative argumental discussion which still happens on any forum lol but TC does a fine job keeping things moderated.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Now that the post is in the right forum, hopefully there'll be no more complaints.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast