Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I need advice.... I've been a palm user going back to palm pilot. I went to the 700wm last year. I'm happy with it... especially after installing a sms string text but I'm sick and tired of the brick like feeling.

I have to stick with Verizon because they offer the least dropped calls in my area so jumping to ATT (which I did as a test on their claim they had the least dropped calls...yeah...right. I tried their pearl for two days... speed was from the dark ages...exchanged it for the 750...smaller than the 700...but back to dropped calls!!!)

So here are my questions... I want to incorporate the features I like in to the blackberry from the treo.. such as...

-string sms text messaging
    -being able to sync over the air with outlook exchange server... inclusive of tasks, calendar and addresses
    -customize the start screen with commonly used phone numbers...meaning not having to go through too many steps for common things.
    -ease of use...

Has anyone made the jump so they can get the best of all worlds? If they only had a palm that was thin like the Q or most smart phones I wouldn't be looking.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!
    Scott
    I don't have a 700wx, but here are some things to consider: Have you gone to the store and looked at an 8830 and typed on it? KB is different from the Treo and if you type a lot you may not like it. No threaded messaging, you can sync with Outlook but you have to have BES and for me that doubled my Exchange hosting cost (on top of tripling my Sprint data cost). There are plenty of screen customizations and you would probably get used to the trackball well enough to get around quick. Ease of use is. well, easier. Most folks that try a PPC device trade it in for a BB because the PPC was not easy enough to use.

I am shopping to - I went to the store and played with the 8830 and the Mogul - I love the Mogul's kb and frankly, feel more comfortable with WM. And I don't have to pay an extra $55/mo (40 for data and an extra 15 for Exchange connection) to make it work for me.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    thanks for the input...I played with the BB and had no issue with the buttons. the money does not bother me as much as being truly happy with the phone and service.
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by lexnsyd View Post
    the money does not bother me as much as being truly happy with the phone and service.
    Ah, I hope I am in that place someday! Good luck!
    The treo may seem brick like, but the bb, even though it is nice and light, is too wide, as is the Q.
    I wonder how the new Q is. Both the BB and the Q are in my price range, while the treo still remains up there on verizon.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    the keyboard on 8830 is more responsive than the 87xx. the pearl is sleek, but not so good if you do a lot of email. I checked out all the treos and bb in store. 8830 is the best bb so far, go for it.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I hate to say it...and never thought I would... but I think Palm is dying a slow death unless they do a 180 and get back to the drawing board.... sad... been with them since the palm pilot.
    Scott
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the input! I decided the best way to go about this with all the info I received here and from Blackberry forums was to take the 30 day trial from Verizon. So far... I love it!!!!!

Thank you all
    Scott
    Congrats - I go back and forth each week on this myself - one week I am getting a Mogul, the next a 8830. Everytime I have a sw issue on my current Q, I wonder why I would get a Mogul. Then I look at the costs and wonder why I would spend so much on a BB......

Come back in a few weeks with a report!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Congrats - I go back and forth each week on this myself - one week I am getting a Mogul, the next a 8830. Everytime I have a sw issue on my current Q, I wonder why I would get a Mogul. Then I look at the costs and wonder why I would spend so much on a BB......

Come back in a few weeks with a report!
    I have both the Moto Q and the 700wx..I picked up the Q first because of the price and look. But after 4-5 months I just couldn't take software issues. I love my 700wx.. but I'm thinking of going with the 8830 to replace my Q. Even those the 8830 is much smaller than the brick i'm going to have to agree with CADMAN it is too wide.. even though it's size is similar to the Q it just feels WIDE. I wonder how the new Q is going to feel like because it is going to be larger than the Q now
    I had to ditch my 700wx for a Blackberry...
    I went ahead and got a Mogul last week. I just could not get away from the keyboard - I love it much better than the Q's and the 8830's. And I understand what you are saying about the width - I always felt the Q was like a thin brick up to my ear and the Mogul is not very wide. So far, I'm liking it!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    After switching to the BB Curve, I can't believe that I put up with the Treo's problems for so long. I am constantly astonished at the BB's amazing quality.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I just got a Curve on T-Mo today. So far it's real nice. I'll have to see how it goes for a few days before deciding to keep it.

It has Blackberry Maps and it looks like it would work with a Bluetooth GPS receiver. Does anyone know if that is the case?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I'm going back to my 650. I just can't justify $250 and a 2 year extension for the Curve. My biggest complaint is the email aspect. For someone that isn't connected to a BES it just doesn't work. If it handled IMAP better I could do it. Oh well, back to waiting for a Treo or whatever Palm comes up with...
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I just got the curve... the 8320 with wifi... its absolutly amazing... I dont see why anyone would go with the 8800 series, its so much bigger - unless you really wanted a cdma blackberry... but with wifi its not as big of a deal, plus it seems that the blackberry renders pages faster than my treos did, so the slower network doesnt seem to be an issue. I think google maps works better than it did on the 700wx or 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdelt View Post
    I just got the curve... the 8320 with wifi... its absolutly amazing... I dont see why anyone would go with the 8800 series, its so much bigger - unless you really wanted a cdma blackberry... but with wifi its not as big of a deal, plus it seems that the blackberry renders pages faster than my treos did, so the slower network doesnt seem to be an issue. I think google maps works better than it did on the 700wx or 755p.
    Some folks just don't want to change carriers for multiple reasons. And for me personally, I thought the Curve was too small.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    check out the curve... I dont know why anyone even considers the 8800 unless they want a cdma bberry.

The keyboard is great... and there actually is threaded sms, although its not exactly threaded like palm is, when you click on a message, it does show the previous couple exchanges.

Also, the inbox integreation with google talk is awesome, the programs run well, and fast, aim is great, the media player is great. Its a phenemonal phone.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I made the switch from the Treo 700P to the BBerry 8830 and while it took a few days to get used to the berry I actually love it. I thought I would hate the keyboard but I am actually fine with it and can type just as fast as I could with the Treo (and I have fatter fingers). The e-mail is great with push of my Yahoo! account using BIS and push of my corporate e-mail using BES. I am surprisingly happy with the browser (it seems quick) and in general this device is just snappy. No looking back here. I sent in my $100 rebate within 5 days which means I'm keeping this puppy. Anyone have any questions on comparisons, etc?

BTW, one HUGE deal for me was the new BES Mailbox application that separates out BES from other mails. This woulda been a HUGE pain for me but a 3rd party app that costs $10 fixed it for me. I also really like the HTML e-mail viewer from BBSmart. The final app I need is a poker program (already tested) and life will be complete.

Other than that the switch was surprisingly easy. Oh yeah, I woulda probably gone for the curve but Verizon won't have that for a while. I am actually ok with the 8830 since it is far less thick than my old Treo700P and much lighter even if it is a bit wider.
    --Denny
    I think the term TreoConvert comes to mind here. I also converted to a BB 8830 here 3 weeks ago. As someone else stated. why did i continue to punish myself dealing with these 700P issues. Data works, even after a software update (gasp). When I need it.. its there.. Reboot? Nope... don't have those. Bluetooth works awesome on it. Personally I feel there is a major lack of freeware and apps avail. There are apps avail but I am not ready to commit $$ to it just yet. First app I will buy is a Multi-Chat program called Jivetalk which does aim/yahoo/msn/googletalk. The 8830 is a different beast but its one of those things where I gave it total commitment. I will not look back to the Treo line until one day they do what they have to do to be #1 again. Im on some other blackberry websites and I have been seeing a huge influx of "TreoConverts" who were as clueless as me when they first started using the Blackberry line. I hate to say it but its always the same story. "I was tired of the 700P issues, Palm issues, treo issues". I've had some good personal talks with Palm customer service and their management. They acknowledge that they sometimes read TreoCentral. I think they have to start trolling competitor websites as well if they want to regain the market and that sparkle. I'll always continue to read this website because I want to keep up and I would love to come back. For now I got a working phone.. it plain works. Yes there are some slight issues with it but I'm willing to deal with them because it operates so much better than my old Treo 700P (number 1,2,3 & 4).

Palm knows what they have to do. they just have to do it.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    Has anyone found a comparable app to Phone Alarm for BB? If so, it could influence my decision on whether to get another Treo or a BB.