1. xjx
    I know many people have talked about that, but i still want to say something from the point of view of one who haven't used a color pda before.

Today I dropped in Circuit City and had a look at the m505. The first impression before I turned on the power is the black grid on the screen. When the power was on, together with the color display, the grid was still obvious. But after a while, my eyes got used to it. The screen was viewable without the sidelight on. The background was a kind of brownish grey. When the sidelight was on, the background became more close to white. I thought the screen was ok until I compared it to the screen of an Ipaq side by side. That's different! The Ipaq was much brighter and the color was much more vivid. The Ipaq screen was comparable with that of the E-125 and EM-500, but the m505's screen was just not at the same level.

I think the problem of m505's screen is: (1) too dim; (2) balck grid due to the low resolution. It is fairly usable, but far from desirable.

They don't sell Handspring products so I can't make comparison with the Prism.
    yeah, i was able to stop by a compusa today and check out an M505 for the second time. This time it didn't have the demo software running so i could play around with it. The colors were so dim that i couldn't tell if it was even color!
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    My best comparison is a full-color page from the newspaper after it has been in the sun for a few days.
    I work in a well lit office and spend a fair amount of time using my PDA outside. I have no problems with the screen at all. When in low light situations I just turn on the back light.

In most conditions it is easier to read (better contrast) than my old VisorDeluxe (now my wife's) ... no more streaking displays!

I could have had any PDA I wanted (my employer bought it for me) including a Prism or an IPAQ, but all in all I find the m505 the best mix of features. Long battery life, color, PalmOS, great form factor and decent storage expandibility.

If it had 16-bit color, my choice definitly would have been a Handera 330. (You got to love the dual expansion plus the increased display resolution.)

-Eric
    I have a Palm m505 that was made in Hungary. I have heard that U.S. made models have slightly brighter/better screens. Has anyone seen the U.S. model compared side by side with a Hungarian model, and was there any differnce. I have seen one picture of a Hungarian model next to a U.S. model, but it was hard to tell which was better. I'll probably go to CompUSA to compare mine to (hopefully) a U.S. display model. By the way, I like the screen, but being able to adjust it would be a plus.
    I haven't seen them side by side either. Mine is a USA made one.

-Eric
    Originally posted by emeyer
    I haven't seen them side by side either. Mine is a USA made one.

-Eric
    In fairness, the unit I saw was running a demo program that locked out all features including the sidelight
    I just got back from CompUSA. Side by side they looked almost exactly the same. If anything my Hungarian made m505 may have actually had slightly whiter whites with the backlight on than the American made demo model. The one I used was not in "demo" mode, so I compared them displaying the same screen. The only reason I can think of that people may have said U.S. made m505's look better is that the Hungarian models may not all be of the same quality as mine.
    Personally I feel that the M505 is a huge loss for Palm. Their products are of very high quality (at least were) and their contribution to handheld computing is priceless. However, when they decided to give the go ahead on the M505, I think they might have had a screw loose. Yes reflective screens are good, but it makes them look really bad when they release a $450 PDA that has color that is not as brilliant as many would expect. Like I said earlier I could NOT tell that I was holding a COLOR device when I picked it up. It was so dim that I couldn't tell. I think palm would have come out a lot better out of the whole ordeal had they sacrificed a little of the form factor and gave it a better battery so the screens didn't have to be so dim.

I'm glad that HS is waiting to get a screen that looks like the prism's in an edge form factor. When this finally comes about I think the outcome will be a killer PDA.

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    I could NOT tell that I was holding a COLOR device when I picked it up.
    Ashmed, in what lighting conditions did you view the m505, and could you not tell it was color with the front light on or off?
    At the time I didn't know it had sidelighting. I saw it at a compusa so the lighting in the room was pretty good. I was able to hold it next to a prism that was on display and the the prism was so much mroe vivid and bright.

I use the front light most (maybe 90%) of the time. It makes a huge difference indoors.
    I figured that it wouldnt' have a backlight since color screens are backlit (prism).. Probably does make a difference but i stilldon't see how it could be better than the prism's screen.

I want a color edge.

Now that I am no longer the only person in the world never to have seen an m505, I have to agree that compared to a Prism indoors, it's really dim. However, it's definitely color, and for just $50 more than an m500 it might be worth it for some people, especially those who work in bright outdoor situations. Yes it would be nice if there was some kind of brightness adjustment like the HP Jornada I saw (no idea which one). No I probably wouldn't buy the m505 -- I'd get the m500 instead, or the Edge. (I don't especially need color.)