Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    It really all boils down to one main problem: by licensing the OS, Palm has competition in its own PalmOS market. If HS, Sony, HE, IBM, and whoever else weren't around, people would still say "Palm hasn't done anything new for a while," but there wouldn't be any better products around for comparison and eating up PalmOS market share. And if Palm came out with the m505 in that world, people would like it more than they do now.

But there is competition. Although that's probably what drove Palm to make the newer units (and announce them ahead of time), that's also paradoxically why people think the new machines are, comparatively, less than exciting. Who knows. Maybe if there were no licensees, then Palm would be fighting harder against PocketPC and making better products.
    Originally posted by dalamar70
    Who knows. Maybe if there were no licensees, then Palm would be fighting harder against PocketPC and making better products.
    I really don't care about Palm Inc. I care about Palm OS and the Palm "community". Maybe licensing the OS was a mistake for Palm Inc., maybe not. It was the best thing that could have happened for Palm OS though, without a doubt.
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
    Originally posted by yardie
    Sony Clie is just one of hundreds of products that Sony makes. As such, the Palm OS would not benefit under them. Handspring OTOH is a PDA company and they get thier bread and butter fro selling PDAs. They would be a better owner for the OS.
    Precisely. Palm OS is painted on a mural in the corporate offices of Palm Inc. and Handspring. Palm OS is one line-item on one page of Sony's inch-thick budget. Trust the OS to someone that lives and dies by it.
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
    Originally posted by timmins

Obviously, the older Clie. But, in my honest opinion, is a lot smaller than your iPaq you boast of. Have you seen some of these people with the dual cartridges holding a compact flash and a wireless modem? Man, are we losing the concept of Pocket in PocketPC. Don't get me wrong, I see one... I still drool, but if you're going to knock a handheld for being big... the iPaq has to be the biggest.
    Actually, I was referring to the N-700C. While it's narrower than my iPAQ, it's basically the same thickness - and once you add a decent case, it's way too thick (for me, that is).

While I could have been clearer on this point, my rational behind purchasing the m505 was due to the fact that the iPAQ I "boasted" of was too big to be my main PDA (they certainly don't call them "Expansion" packs for nothing). Don't get me wrong, I think the new Clie will be the PalmOS PDA to beat, but I don't want to use MemorySticks, and I need something that fits comfortably in my jean pockets (front or back).

-Adam
  5.    #65  
    This is the 64th-ish Post! I've become popular! (not in a good way)

I'm remaining neutral until the rest of the cat-fighting has died down. Once again, I'm sticking with my theory, although there are some things I am taking into consideration for my next really big post.

Anyway, Palm Licensing out its OS has prevented (so far) the same saga with Apple, mind you.

I doubt Palm will ever be a stable company. They keep getting bought and sold. If Palm continues to grow poor, they'll probably split into the Software company (OS) and the hardware company.

Although the only REAL boneheaded move Palm made this year was replacing the IIIxe with the M105. What the hell were they thinking?
    Last edited by bblue; 05/23/2001 at 01:01 AM.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234