Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    [...] I'm not sure, but with 97% revenues coming from hardware, and only 2% coming from OS licensing, I've got to believe they're making far more money on mobile devices than they are off of Handspring or SONY. [...]
    I'm not so sure that they're making more _profit_ off those devices, though.

[...] Apparently, Yankowski thought the 505 would take off like the iPaq. I think that's going to cost them big!
    Yankowski is the biggest problem, from what I can tell. Even if Palm survives (which I'm sure they will in some form or another), I'm betting that he won't for much longer.

I don't see how that would help the situation. Palm needs capitol badly! They're sure not going to get it by merging with Handspring.
    Why not? You don't think that they could use Hawkins getting the PalmOS back into his control to generate some real capital?

The only thing that would accomplish is to impress investors.
    Ahem...and who provides a company with capital when its existing profits are lacking?

Don't forget, Handspring is still a young but struggling start-up as well.
    Yes, but with a pretty good track record for a start-up.

It would be the blind leading the blind for the two to join forces.
    Huh? It would be the team that left Palm to form a company which has taken between 14 and 21% of Palm's market, because 3COM said they were never going to spin Palm off, coming back to fix the damage that happened after 3COM spun it off.

Palm would be far better off being acquired by SONY or Apple, both of which have far more financial resources, especially SONY.
    Except that both of them have little to no experience putting a successful mass-market PDA on the market. Hawkins obviously does.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by Toby
    I'm not so sure that they're making more _profit_ off those devices, though.
    I don't know either. But I would love to see what they do in fact make on their handsets.

Yankowski is the biggest problem, from what I can tell. Even if Palm survives (which I'm sure they will in some form or another), I'm betting that he won't for much longer.
    I couldn't agree more! He should have stuck to selling shoes. If I have to listen to that bloated wind bag give another keynote address, I'll puke!

Why not? You don't think that they could use Hawkins getting the PalmOS back into his control to generate some real capital?
    Sure, there's no question Hawkins could turn things around with by improving the OS, but that takes time.

Ahem...and who provides a company with capital when its existing profits are lacking?
    Okay, you got me there.

Yes, but with a pretty good track record for a start-up.
    Yes, but they are still a start-up. They don't have the massive financial resources, or R&D, of an established company such as Microsoft, SONY, or Apple.

Huh? It would be the team that left Palm to form a company which has taken between 14 and 21% of Palm's market, because 3COM said they were never going to spin Palm off, coming back to fix the damage that happened after 3COM spun it off.
    Okay, I chose my words poorly. Blind leading the blind wasn't really what I meant. My point was, two young start-ups, combined together, don't equal a large company.

Except that both of them have little to no experience putting a successful mass-market PDA on the market. Hawkins obviously does.
    Well, SONY has already proven that they know what's wrong with the PalmOS, and how to overcome it's deficiencies.
    Sure, there's no question Hawkins could turn things around with by improving the OS, but that takes time.
    Yes, but time is money. Workworkworkwork. heh But seriously, I think that this might be one option that could get them the money to give themselves the time. All of the news reports I've seen (ZDNet, Fortune, etc.) seem to suggest that the market has little faith in Palm at the moment.

Yes, but they are still a start-up. They don't have the massive financial resources, or R&D, of an established company such as Microsoft, SONY, or Apple.
    They don't need them if they have the financial resources of the banks/stock market.

Okay, I chose my words poorly. Blind leading the blind wasn't really what I meant. My point was, two young start-ups, combined together, don't equal a large company.
    Palm used to _be_ a large company in its own right. They were a _billion_ dollar company when they were cruising off of what the current Handspring team had done. Now it seems that momentum is wearing down. Unless they find something to spur them back to prominence, they're on the downward spiral.

Well, SONY has already proven that they know what's wrong with the PalmOS, and how to overcome it's deficiencies.
    Sony may have finances, but they don't have the vision that Palm needs. Sure, the new Clie looks pretty sweet, but ultimately it's a PocketPC wannabe for those people that don't want the PocketPC OS.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    That was a fantastic exchange between you two, Toby and Foo...

I do agree that it would be wise for Hawkins and Dubinsky to re-join Palm in a Handspring and Palm merger. Hawkins and team will bring much needed adrenaline back into Palm, The merger will hopefully return Palm back into a leader in developement in the handheld market.

I think Hawkins and Dubinsky will be interested in the merger. The Palm OS is Hawkins creation, I don't think that Hawkin's will want to see his baby bite the dust or brought by a third party.
    Fat's
    Given the current financial condition that Palm is in, I would say your never going to see that happen. In fact, I expect Palm to begin pulling the plug on its licensees. Right now, Palm is faced with the exact same problem Apple faced at the hands of Motorola and UMAX. As these companies began eroding Apples share of the hardware market, they were forced to cut off their licensees to survive. I'm getting some bad vibes here, and I think the axe is going to fall on HS. Hawkins may not have been kidding when he mentioned using "other" Operating systems.

I hate to admit it Foo, but you've got a good point. If things don't turn around in the next few quarters, I could imagine Yankoff contemplating just that kind of knee-jerk, panicked response. But didn't HS just ink a multi-year agreement with Palm?

Legally, Palm could refuse new licensees, but they couldn't pull the plug on existing agreements.
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
    From TOBY
    You, Dogbert, have distilled the problem to its essence as far as I'm concerned. Where's Ratbert in HR when you need him?
    Originally posted by Slot_Machine

You, Dogbert, have distilled the problem to its essence as far as I'm concerned. Where's Ratbert in HR when you need him?
    Catbert is the evil HR director, although if Ratbert was working in Palm's HR, that might explain how Yankowski got hired.
    Originally posted by Toby

Catbert is the evil HR director, although if Ratbert was working in Palm's HR, that might explain how Yankowski got hired.
    Do you think Dogbert Consulting is behind that San Jose real estate wank-a-thon? That sly dog's coming out ahead by a cool $230M!!
  9. pjs
    foo fighter,

best. sig. ever.

"I'm disrespectful to dirt! Can you see I am serious?"
  10.    #30  

"For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle!"

"...Awsoma power!"
  11. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I'm still considering an m505. I actually do like what I've seen of the screen. I don't really like the Prism or IIIc because I think their brightness makes the limited resolution so much more obvious.

I want an m505 because it gives me a good color screen (not great, but good), internal vibrating alarm, smaller size than my current Visor Deluxe, and extremely small expansion for backup and additional memory.

The only reason I haven't gotten one yet is that I can't justify spending $450 on one. That's outside my comfort range for a PDA. (My first PDA was a Palm III that work bought for me as a bonus back when it was the top of the line Palm. I bought my own Visor Deluxe to replace it when I got tired of the limited memory.)
  12. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts

"For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle!"

"...Awsoma power!"
    All your awsoma power belong to us!!! (sorry, couldn't resist)
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by Ash
    The only reason I haven't gotten one yet is that I can't justify spending $450 on one. That's outside my comfort range for a PDA.
    I purchased my M505 at Staples for $396. You don't have to pay $450, I never pay full price for a PDA.

I purchased my M505 at Staples for $396. You don't have to pay $450, I never pay full price for a PDA.
    How did you get it for just $396??
  15. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Actually I'd been planning on buying it with amazon gift certificates that I have left over from echo.com last year (an online radio station that was giving its users gift certificates for listening, I got quite a few). Even though it isn't real money, it's hard to spend so much on something that I don't really need, I just want.

Maybe if MCI starts offering $150 amazon gift certificates to switch again I'll be able to justify it.
  16.    #36  
    Originally posted by Slot_Machine
    How did you get it for just $396??
    Just do a web search for the lowest possible price, I use mysimon.com or CNET's shopper.com, make a print-out, and take it to any Staples. They will match the price. But they will add $5.00 for shipping. That's how I always buy my PDAs. Works every time.
    Order it from compusavers.net for $357.00 I did. Be interesting to see what I get for THAT price.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12