Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, probably not. It will probably be 3 times the price, but then it can do so much more...

Windows Vista Business (3 hrs battery)
    1.2 GHz Intel Santa Rosa A110 Processor
    7 inch 800x480 screen
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    40GB HDD
    HSDPA (Data only) ready
    Web Cam
    Biometrics
    GPS
    Windows Pocket PC (640x480) (over 5 days battery life when used exclusively)
    Qualcomm 400MHz Processor
    64MB RAM
    and more...

Here's a 30 min video of some-one being ridiculously excited about it.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/gottab...Ortega_GBM.wmv

http://www.gottabemobile.com/TheHTCShift.aspx

Surur
    I see its running Vista, which will kick the price up. XP would run a lot better on those hardware specs, but it does look like a good solution for some.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    I see its running Vista, which will kick the price up. XP would run a lot better on those hardware specs, but it does look like a good solution for some.
    Its definitely a road warrior machine. Whats interesting from the video is how it changes between Vista and pocketpc instantly, because both are running simultaneously on separate processors.

Surur
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Sure it's clever switching from Vista to PPC instantly but would you really want to use PPC on a device that big

The biggest killer is the price, Expansys are listing it as 869 in the UK which is about twice the price of an entry level laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Its definitely a road warrior machine. Whats interesting from the video is how it changes between Vista and pocketpc instantly, because both are running simultaneously on separate processors.

Surur
    Yes, this is very interesting.

Can't wait to fiddle around with one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Sure it's clever switching from Vista to PPC instantly but would you really want to use PPC on a device that big

The biggest killer is the price, Expansys are listing it as 869 in the UK which is about twice the price of an entry level laptop.
    Absolutely; if you are somewhere in transit and just want to update a couple things and save the battery life.

As far as price - $1750 US.

That's less than 3 iPhones (or 1 if you include two years of service)

;-)

I wonder if the USB port is 2.0 and if it's bus powered (I would think not).
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Absolutely; if you are somewhere in transit and just want to update a couple things and save the battery life.
    Which you could do on your phone, which of course you'd still need as the Shift doesn't do voice

I guess you could be playing Solitaire on the PPC part whilst you're waiting for Vista to boot up
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I think I'd actually be happier with a Foleo than this thing. I need Windows only to run win-only apps and I don't think this would cut it for that anyway since they are resource-hogs.

Not that the Foleo is 'it' either, but I'm thinking it would be better to have a small device that is streamlined for mobile use, not trying to be a full desktop because something has to suffer because of it. For instance, the Foleo may not have the greatest battery life, but it does has 2 additional hours over this.
    How would this compare to the Dual Cor device which was a 5in Windows XP, and WM5 pocket PC phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Which you could do on your phone, which of course you'd still need as the Shift doesn't do voice

I guess you could be playing Solitaire on the PPC part whilst you're waiting for Vista to boot up
    Never thought the shift was there to replace a phone...

Vista boots pretty quick (relative); and you and always suspend or hibernate.

It is a pretty amazing device. I wish I could take that instead of lugging a laptop on trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    I think I'd actually be happier with a Foleo than this thing. I need Windows only to run win-only apps and I don't think this would cut it for that anyway since they are resource-hogs.

Not that the Foleo is 'it' either, but I'm thinking it would be better to have a small device that is streamlined for mobile use, not trying to be a full desktop because something has to suffer because of it. For instance, the Foleo may not have the greatest battery life, but it does has 2 additional hours over this.
    Hmmm...I guess I've not seen anything in the Foleo that makes me say wow...At least with the shift, if I need full desktop, I can have it.

I guess we will see when they come out...

And of course, the Foleo is 1/3 to 1/4 the price...
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Hmmm...I guess I've not seen anything in the Foleo that makes me say wow...At least with the shift, if I need full desktop, I can have it.

I guess we will see when they come out...

And of course, the Foleo is 1/3 to 1/4 the price...
    YEah, I'm not saying the Foleo makes me go 'wow' either Just if I were to compare the two price and features, I would choose the Foleo. But if you expand on it beyond these two the Foleo probably wouldn't win.
    I think it comes down to what you need it for. If you need a full-desktop with you, obviously the Shift is up your alley.

OTOH, if you need to write a lot (I'm talking at least 10-20 pages a day), then the Foleo is a better device with the full keyboard, long battery life and simplicity. I couldn't imagine typing for a prolonged period on the Shift.

For myself, I need the latter: something that I can use to actually write a lot namely journal articles, book chapters, dissertation, etc. plus email and PDF viewing. That's why I think Foleos are good for bloggers, writers, academics and some business people. But if you're not writing a lot every day besides a couple of emails and a few paragraphs, then the Foleo is not really a good choice.

I tell you, the poor battery life and lack of instant on (yes, even with hibernate/standby) is actually a large deterrent for me in regards to "writing on the go" with my laptop.

At least that's how I'm approaching the situation.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Mal, do you have any opinions or thoughts on the standard Apple Macbooks? Or do you simply not care for the OS and weight, comparatively (Foleo)?

Regards
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    sweet device
    HTC Touch Pro
    As far as price - $1750 US.

That's less than 3 iPhones (or 1 if you include two years of service)
    But to that $1750 (which is already a lot IMO) you'd need (as Taz says) to add the cost of a phone, you'd also need to factor in the cost of the extra RAM it would probably need to make Vista acceptable (could it ever could be with a 1.2 GHz processor?), and also add the cost of another service contract if you wanted to use the integrated HSDPA.
  17.    #17  
    I think a device like this would be an expensive toy to most people, and a very useful tool to some. The foleo in a way is much more utilitarian (due to lacking so much of course) which means the few people using it will use it really well. Unfortunately its exactly this lack of mass appeal which will doom it to failure, whereas this device has a real chance of exciting both the UMPC and smartphone crowd.

Surur
    I think a device like this would be an expensive toy to most people, and a very useful tool to some. The foleo in a way is much more utilitarian (due to lacking so much of course) which means the few people using it will use it really well.
    Personally I'd have much more use for the Foleo because I don't have any real need for a device that's too big to fit in a pocket but which doesn't have a full-size keyboard. I'm not about to buy FOLEO and won't really consider it until it's more functional but it has got the form factor right (for me) though. As Palm develop it and more 3rd party apps appear it should get to be more compelling.

Unfortunately its exactly this lack of mass appeal which will doom it to failure, whereas this device has a real chance of exciting both the UMPC and smartphone crowd.
    UMPC folks I can see but I'm not sure about that many smartphone users would be attracted. Certainly it can't completely replace a smartphone (because it's not a phone!) but I guess for some the combination of a Shift and a dumb phone or a smartphone might work.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Personally I'd have much more use for the Foleo because I don't have any real need for a device that's too big to fit in a pocket but which doesn't have a full-size keyboard. I'm not about to buy FOLEO and won't really consider it until it's more functional but it has got the form factor right (for me) though. As Palm develop it and more 3rd party apps appear it should get to be more compelling.

UMPC folks I can see but I'm not sure about that many smartphone users would be attracted. Certainly it can't completely replace a smartphone (because it's not a phone!) but I guess for some the combination of a Shift and a dumb phone or a smartphone might work.
    The other questions I have re: the Foleo....what happens when you get a call? Will the device and sync still work?

Garnet definiteily can't handle this, but WM could.

If you need info, and need to be on the phone, then I think this leans toward UMPC and separate phone. (or maybe not.)

But for the traveller who needs a "PC-to-go" and light duties, it looks great.
    Heck, USB keyboard and external monitor can address the at desk issues (somewhat).

I wonder if you can upgrade to more RAM. 1GB for Vista is a bit thin.
  20.    #20  
    HTC said something interesting and relevant recently. They said, unlike Apple, they do not believe in making one device for everybody, but in making a range of devices that suite a specific demographic very well.

In that context, one should resist trying to think of the Shift as the be-all or end-all of devices, but ask oneself whether one could see a use of it for oneself or not. I'm sure there are thousands of people who are looking at the shift and think its perfect for them.

I think what is more interesting is whether the demographic of the shift and the foleo overlap. They are both aimed at executives. The shift is really a very small laptop with a built-in HSDPA card, and also a miniOS with multiple day battery life. The Foleo is all miniOS, does not have its own connectivity, and is mostly useful for document creation. They are very different.

Surur
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast