Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    The other questions I have re: the Foleo....what happens when you get a call? Will the device and sync still work?
    TBH I'm not very thrilled by the whole mobile companion thing and could live quite happily with the email apps on my phone and sub-laptop both syncing directly to the server. I hope the way the Foleo goes is to develop into a more independent device that covers most common, basic laptop tasks. You know, just a small cheap laptop with lightweight OS and good battery life that does what most people want most of the time. The Shift though is too small - too small for decent text entry speeds, which firmly cuts it out of the 'does most of what I want' category (for me).
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    HTC said something interesting and relevant recently. They said, unlike Apple, they do not believe in making one device for everybody, but in making a range of devices that suite a specific demographic very well.
    I don't know why thought it necessary to have a swipe at Apple in this thread, but even by your standards that's pretty unfair. Apple make a range of laptops, a range of desktops and a range music players. Sure there's basically only iPhone, but they've only been selling phones for six weeks or so!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I don't know why thought it necessary to have a swipe at Apple in this thread, but even by your standards that's pretty unfair. Apple make a range of laptops, a range of desktops and a range music players. Sure there's basically only iPhone, but they've only been selling phones for six weeks or so!
    I dont see why you see it as a negative statement regarding Apple. Its just a different style of serving the market.

Surur
    I dont see why you see it as a negative statement regarding Apple.
    I suspect you see it perfectly well.

Its just a different style of serving the market.
    It's not one that Apple have adopted, certainly not judged by the line ups of their established devices.
  5.    #25  
    Sorry, still dont. I think you are being too sensitive.

Surur
    Whatever. This is silly, and OT
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    If only the Foleo were better in at least one way, say much better battery life. If they could get 7 or 8 hrs out of the Foleo I bet lots of people would start to see the utility and things like the Shift wouldn't be compared to it.

I wonder how the Foleo battery fares with Wifi turned off.

It's not one that Apple have adopted, certainly not judged by the line ups of their established devices.
    I think you might be reading something in there..."unlike Apple" has been used in several articles...in terms of differentiation/approach. I assume this was surur's point in his post.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/.../mobiles11.php

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...siphone_1.html
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I personally like Apple's approach of making two or three devices for everybody within a market segment. It gives some choices but also ensures what is available generally works. The problem with Windows is it has to run across such a wide range of hardware that (it seems to me) some things just don't work on some machines, or don't work well. Windows strength is also its weakness, and same for Apple: the strength of tight hardware integration means less choices for the consumer. But when it comes to laptops that generally have few upgradeable options, Macs seem to me to be very competitive if you consider (and want to use) their bundled software. I personally would much rather use iLife than comparable apps in Windows (which I would have to spend more $ on anyway, increasing the cost of ownership).
    But to that $1750 (which is already a lot IMO)
    Luckily, it's a bit less than that - (Dynamism) sells them for $1,499 - and they typically have a 20% markup for their products.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Vista boots pretty quick (relative); and you and always suspend or hibernate.
    Did you watch the video it took forever and a day to get into Vista from hibernation
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Did you watch the video it took forever and a day to get into Vista from hibernation
    Plus hibernation is only good for short durations otherwise it kills the battery (at least it does on a laptop).

That's my issue: if you know you need to hibernate, it's great and not too bad of a wait (though it's bad enough that I like the Foleo). But if you leave it hibernate and decide "no, I now want if off" you have to wake the device (wait) and then tell it to Turn off (wait) and then that night if you want to use it, boot up again (wait).

Like I said it depends on what you do with these devices. For frequent writing, I don't see the Shift as a good solution. As a portable desktop, definitely.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Relative being the keyword...

I have 2006 laptops that take longer to get out of hibernation.

For the size and what you get, it's impressive. (except for the RAM, of course)
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Plus hibernation is only good for short durations otherwise it kills the battery (at least it does on a laptop).

That's my issue: if you know you need to hibernate, it's great and not too bad of a wait (though it's bad enough that I like the Foleo). But if you leave it hibernate and decide "no, I now want if off" you have to wake the device (wait) and then tell it to Turn off (wait) and then that night if you want to use it, boot up again (wait).

Like I said it depends on what you do with these devices. For frequent writing, I don't see the Shift as a good solution. As a portable desktop, definitely.
    Thats not how its supposed to work. You should look at your power management settings. Vista suspend allows you to suspend to ram, and after the screen goes of, does a save to disk hibernate, while keeping ram alive. After a few minutes/ hours as set by you, it goes into full hibernate. I believe MacOS uses a similar system.

Surur
  15.    #35  
    Resume from hibernate should not take that long - it may be a debugging built or something.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Mal,

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post.

Suspend is "sleep", low power use, quick resume
    Hibernate is write to HD, off, no power use (or minimal), and longer resume

I think you were talking about suspend in the above post.

Either one of these works well in Vista..I found sleep takes about 0.5% of battery power per hour (This may vary by laptop and battery conditions)

"Frequent writing" to me is not only keyboard, but screen as well.
    Mal,

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post.

Suspend is "sleep", low power use, quick resume
    Hibernate is write to HD, off, no power use (or minimal), and longer resume

I think you were talking about suspend in the above post.

Either one of these works well in Vista..I found sleep takes about 0.5% of battery power per hour (This may vary by laptop and battery conditions)

"Frequent writing" to me is not only keyboard, but screen as well.
    Good point, I did mistake those. I was referring to Suspend and specifically on an XP device, so I have no base of comparison with Vista, so your info is good to know for those interested in buying this.

It'll be interesting for the reviews to see how it fairs with battery life.

BTW, Braj: I would expect the Foleo to easily get 7-8 hours with no Wifi.

Ben Combee reported that on a 3 hour flight it dropped 20%--so theoretically you could easily hit close to 15 hours if you mange the backlight properly. But lets just say 10 hours to be safe with wifi and BT off.

Considering I need a Foleo for a lot of writing, nearing 10 hours of battery life is amazing. I hope it remains true. He also mentioned that in standby (the only option on the Foleo) it is expected to hold a charge from the factory, to the store shelves, to the home of the user to setup with no additional charging. So I would say 30 days of standby is plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    I've used mine on a three hour plane ride with wireless off and had the battery drop from 90% to 70%, but screen brightness also affects this.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I'm trying to determine if the Foleo is a good option for me...price will definitely determine if I'm willing to try. I am definitely a power user of my WM PPC (I use it for everything) and I do often travel for work, although much less than I used to. During business travel, I pretty much only use basic outlook and office, sometimes citrix, and sometimes vpn and RDC/term server. I likely wouldn't rely on a Foleo for work travel unless it was for 1 or 2 days and primarily used for email, office, and adobe. however, on the weekends, I like to spend a few hours doing some emails and basic project planning; but my screen is to small on my phone and the laptop (Dell 620), atlhough light, just weighs to much when you add the heavy adaptor/power plug and especially if I only need it for like 2 hours of use. I often said that if they had a collapsable screen simmiler to my Stowaway collapsable keyboard, that would be perfect. This is why I think the Foleo would be good. I wish the starbucks of the world would have like a wall of bar stools with counter tops and a screen on the wall above the counters where I could place my phone on the counter and let it connect by bluetooth to my HTC Tytn and i use my stowaway keyboard.

I am nervous to use the foleo for work and not provide what I need in a pinch. Can't you see having prepared a ppt deck on ppt 2007 and then trying to run it from foleo? I wonder how it will work when connected to a projector. I wouldn't intend to use this instead of a laptop, but if it's really substantially thinner than my laptop and lighter, I would surely use it especially on weekends when I'm running errands on the street and occasionally stopping in a Starbucks/T-Mo hotspot. When you live in NY and you take the subway everywhere and do a lot of walking, you don't want to carry a heavy laptop around with you on the weekends when you're supposed to be enjoying yourself.
    Last edited by waynew73; 08/14/2007 at 09:04 PM.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    I personally like Apple's approach of making two or three devices for everybody within a market segment.
    I agree but would say that it's probably at least three for each established product line (it depends what you call a 'market segment' and what criteria you use to say models are different of course ): four desktops (Mac Mini, Mac Pro, 20" iMac, 24" iMac), three laptops (MacBook, 15" MacBook Pro, 17" MacBook Pro), three iPods (iPod, iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano). The number of models listed on the Apple Store site is of course higher (two of each size iMac, two Minis, three Nanos etc) and there's larger number still if you factor in different possible configurations (graphics cards, hard disks etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Luckily, it's a bit less than that - (Dynamism) sells them for $1,499 - and they typically have a 20% markup for their products.
    I was just quoting MikeC's number and I'd only checked the UK prices myself. Best I could find was 869 from Expansys. They often overestimate with the pre-order price though so you'd hope to see it below 800 (~$1600) on release in the UK. Still too expensive IMO - and it gets worse if you add more RAM and a data contract to use the built-in HSDPA (both optional of course).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast