1.    #1  
    Help! I've been without a PDA for over a month now, and I'm suffering from severe PDA withdrawl. I can get a Palm M505 later today for $392. Or I can continue to wait for the SONY Clie N710...which won't begin shipping until May 28 or early June. But I don't think I can wait that long!

So what do you guys think I should do? Go for the 505 now? Or wait for the SONY to rear its head?
    Last edited by foo fighter; 05/16/2001 at 10:20 AM.
    I'd wait for the N710C. You will have to wait some time, but then you will have the best PalmOS PDA on the market.
    Go for the 505 now at that price. Let it give you your PDA "fix" for the time being (plus you can give us YOUR opinion on the whole screen quality issue).

If you don't like it, you can always return it and get the Sony later.

When the CLIE 710 DOES eventually come out you can always pick one up/play with one to see how well you like that. I don't doubt that you could still offload the M505 on ebay around that time if you so desired.

If it were me, that's what I'd do. I dunno how you've lived without a PDA for so long, I sure as heckfire couldn't do it. I just got rid of my VDx yesterday, so it's just me and my Prism. I dunno what I'll do when I send this thing in for the 16mb upgrade.
    -Richard Powell

"Nice guys may finish last, but you know, the company's much better back here."
    M505, assuming you can return it.

If you can't, think long and hard about how much you care about the following:

1) MP3 (Clie)
    2) Hi-Res Screen (Clie)
    3) Form Factor (M505)

If any of the above are deal breakers, go with the device that they match. If you need BOTH 1 or 2 AND 3, keep waiting forever

Seriously, though, I think that the form factor vs. mp3 is the biggest question--I personally would choose the form factor & thus the M505.

My .02
    I finally saw the 505 in retail yesterday, and while all the complaints about the screen dimness might be slightly exaggerated, it was enough of a distraction for the product to not whisper "buy me" in my ear. I use the Stowaway quite a bit, and I wouldn't want to have to use the backlight (sidelight, whatever) for those long intervals. The Clié's screen, based on the pictures I've seen, look much, much better. I'm a happy camper with the Prism, but if the choice is between the 505 and the Clié, the latter's a no-brainer in my book -- unless you buy a lot of accessories.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks. I've decided to buy the M505 today, and return it after 2 weeks. By that time the Clie will be out.

I wouldn't be so impatient to buy a new PDA, but since I've been without one for almost 6 weeks, its wearing my nerves thin, and its bad for my health!
    Anyone know if it will support the Mac? Since it is USB, technically I guess it should be a no brainer, but Sony's site doesn't really mention Mac connectivity.

Will the MarkSpace Mac kit work with the new machine? Does anyone have the mono one? How does it work with the Mac?
  8.    #8  
    Connecting with the Mac won't be a problem. Markspace offers a Mac connectivity package, and SONY lists a "Mac pack" on their site as well (I think). The real question is whether or not the SONY desktop audio applications for PC will work on your Mac. If it doesn't, then you won't be able to transfer digital audio to your CLIE. Unless third party developers step in.

I'm sure SONY will support Macs though. So don't sweat it.