Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i think (from what i have read over the years, i'm no techie) that the touchscreen has a lot to do with it along with its internal build (wasted spaces?).
    I just had a another look at these posts from Mike Calligaro over at Windows Mobile Team Blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...04/689069.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...16/702833.aspx

The first one says the main power hogs are backlight, CPU, cell radio and LEDs. The second one mentions touchscreens:

The touch screen itself isnít a very large drain on power.* Itís similar to a button.* When itís not being pressed, it burns almost no power.* When it is being pressed, it burns some, but not very much.* There are much bigger fish to fry than the touch screen.
    Of course the space the touchscreen takes up (which might otherwise be used for a bigger battery) is a different matter. My guess, having taken various cell phones apart over the years (including Treos), is that the volume of touch and non-touch screens probably isn't very different. OTOH, excessively recessing the screen (ŗ la Treo) just seems like space waster.
    well, i was referring strictly to space being consumed by a touchscreen and the device's given battery. both professional and smart versions of ppc have a backlight, cpu, cell radio, and led. the iPhone also has pretty much the same. my point is (in case you hadn't read thru the threads) is that many other devices can offer a slim design, a large screen, and adequate battery life. the Treo seems to suffer in some of these areas in comparison. the question is why can't they make it more slim and less heavy.

cheers
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    But, doesn't a single Treo weigh less and occupy less space than your 3 devices (Pearl, iPhone, & Mogul)?
    Why can't the Treo be slimmer....why indeed.

I suppose they are leveraging their design from a few years back, so there is money to be saved.

Inherently, some features add thickness, and I also think there is a durability factor as well.

If you were to completely redesign the Treo today. it could likely be much slimmer and lighter. I supposed Palm wants to keep milking current designs until they have squeezed every cent from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    But, doesn't a single Treo weigh less and occupy less space than your 3 devices (Pearl, iPhone, & Mogul)?
    it sure does but it really doesn't have any bearing given that i don't carry them all at the same time. i carry my Pearl during the workweek. if i choose to use my iPhone i leave the Pearl at home. as for the mogul, it's headed back to Sprint once i find the time to take it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Why can't the Treo be slimmer....why indeed.

I suppose they are leveraging their design from a few years back, so there is money to be saved.

Inherently, some features add thickness, and I also think there is a durability factor as well.

If you were to completely redesign the Treo today. it could likely be much slimmer and lighter. I supposed Palm wants to keep milking current designs until they have squeezed every cent from it.
    money to be saved and sqeezing every cent from it?

perhaps, but they could also be forgoing tremendous amounts of revenue at its expense. they continue to lose sales to those consumers who are defecting to newer and more modern devices. i'm sure you've read all of those "goodbye Treo, hello Blackberry" type threads here on TreoCentral, they're pretty much validate what i'm saying.

palm is dumb (i think).

perhaps, but they could also be forgoing tremendous amounts of revenue at its expense. they continue to lose sales to those consumers who are defecting to newer and more modern devices. i'm sure you've read all of those "goodbye Treo, hello Blackberry" type threads here on TreoCentral, they're pretty much validate what i'm saying.

palm is dumb (i think).
    Well, they still sold 738,000 units the last quarter. I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it doesn't sound awful considering the company only employs about 1,200 people. Compared to how Motorola still can't turn a profit despite the RAZR and MotoQ, I'm not really sure what that all means...especially for the thin = $ argument.

It sounds like with the 800-series and the low-end 690 series they are finally updating the traditional model. We'll see though if its substantial thinner/improved upon.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    but then why are the BlackJack and MotoQ so thin? they run Windows Mobile (understandably not pocket pc) and have pretty decent battery life, no? or is it that the touchscreen really takes up a lot of space in those devices? does the OS really require that much bulk/depth?

at the end of the day, why doesn't Palm figure out a way to incorporate a larger and less thin battery (like the iPhone) into their devices to help shave off some bulk, or is it a moot point because the insides/touchscreen's design are out of date and require lots of space? just trying to figure out why some of the WM Touchscreen devices are so "thick" but the MotoQ's of the world are much less-so.

cheers
    The BlackJack's battery life is not very good. My wife has one and is not very pleased with it. Since I have the iPhone she is wanting to take over my Treo 750.
    Lock and Load!
    my point really isn't about thin=$ but more-so that modernization does.

selling 738k units last quarter is a great thing, especially if it's been a steady stream or an increasing number. the question is how many more could they have sold and would that # have translated into higher revs. i personally think they could increase (and could have) that number having some newer (i don't mean just omitting an antenna and curving in the sides coupled with a smaller battery) model in their lineup.

palm is dumb (i think).
    Ollie,

Palm being dumb seems like the only thing we agree on.

The only thing that has saved them thus far is to put WM on the Treo.

That is their future....the Linux Treo is too little too late.

And the Foleo....now there's a keeper. :-(
    I don't really get the complaints. I mean, the Treos aren't all that thick. The new ones are .8 inches thick, which isn't that bad at all. The Q might be thin, but it's still just as wide and just as long, if not more, so it's still a giant rectangle in your pocket. It's just not as thick a rectangle.

I don't find a problem with the battery life either, unless I'm in an area with poor or no service.
    But thick bricks typically weigh more too. Nothing is worse than thick and heavy for pocketability imho.
    I guess so...then again, I wear loose baggy pants so it's not as noticeable on me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12