Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been a Palm user for about 10 years and I LOVE my T/X. I recently bought a Blackberry 8703e to replace a Sidekick III, which I primarily used for phone, checking email on the fly, text messaging, IM and a little web browsing. I considered going with a Treo, but from what I could tell, my T/X had better specs as a standalone Palm, and I had heard great things about Blackberry email, which turned out to be true (I'm still not clear on whether Treos offer true "push" email like the Blackberry). I'm very happy with the Blackberry and use it similarly to how I used to use the Sidekick, with the addition of an RSS reader, weather app, maps, modem capability and a few other things. A friend asked me the other day, don't you get tired of carrying around both of those (in addition to an iPod)? The answer is YES...but I have a fear of giving up one or the other. My questions for the users here are:

1. Have you migrated from being a full-time Palm user to a full-time Blackberry user? If so, what apps/functionality do you miss from the Palm, and/or how did you replace it on the Blackberry?
    2. Does anyone else carry more than one of these devices and, if so, why?

I chose the Blackberry 8703e over the newer models because it seemed to have a more spacious keyboard, but it lacks an expansion slot...my T/X, OTOH, has a ton of RAM built in and has basicially unlimited storage through expansion cards (I have a 2 GB card in it now).

In addition to the storage, the shortcomings/things I'd miss if I got rid of my T/X are:
    1. FileMaker Mobile. I know there are db apps for the Blackberry, but I haven't seen one that specifically syncs directly with FileMaker, which I use a lot.
    2. Documents to go...coming out soon for Bberry, but not out yet.
    3. Pocket Quicken. There are money management apps for Blackberry, but again, haven't seen one that syncs directly with Quicken.
    4. T/X has a much better screen and goes portrait/landscape.
    5. All the little shareware apps I've accumulated over the years such as HandyShopper, Wallet, Personal Diary Pro...I know there are similar ones for Blackberry, but it seems like transferring the data would be a pain, not to mention the cost (also true for #1, 2 and 3).
    6. Note-taking ability. I have one of the foldable, wireless keyboards that I use in meetings and when traveling. They also have these for Blackberries, but again...$$$.
    7. Much better PIM apps on the Palm. Forwarding a to-do to a new date on the Blackberry is much more of a pain, for instance.

In favor of using only the Blackberry and ditching the T/X are:
    1. Constant broadband access.
    2. MUCH better email (compared to VersaMail on the T/X)
    3. Always with me since it's also my phone
    4. Fast web-browsing (despite the limited screen)...I've found myself using the Blackberry browser and RSS reader almost exclusively nowadays vs AvantGo on the Palm. I browse the web once in a while on the T/X, but it's an extra step to connect to wifi and I usually just grab the Blackberry instead.

Since I just signed a contract with Verizon a few months ago for my Blackberry, I will probably continue my current setup for a while. But I'm thinking ahead for what I want to do when I'm next ready to upgrade. My first choice would be a Treo, if they seem to be up to speed with what my T/X currently does (namely the screen, since I think the newest Treos rival the storage capacity of the T/X). Also, the Blackberry is very easy to use as a phone...just start dialing...whereas my impression is that the Treo requires an additional step (click the "phone" button)...maybe not a big deal, but one more thing to consider. And, I'm not sure if Treo uses push email like the Blackberry(?). If I'm wrong about any of my statements about the Treo, please correct me.

I am a Mac person, so it's possible I would consider an iPhone at some point...but in its current configuration it *might* replace my Blackberry, but certainly not my T/X.

I'd love to hear everyone else's feedback and what you use your various devices for.

Thanks,
    LisainNC :-)
    The BB is supplied by my employer and syncs wirelessly to my work email/outlook. I use it for all business email/cellphone.

I use the Treo for personal email and cellphone communications. I also use it to manage my finances (via Pocket Quicken and the Citibank Java client).
    I do not use the Veramail or the built in PIM software though. I use chattermail for email which gives me BB style Push email but is much more flexible than the BlackBerry solution. I use Chapura Keysuite for my PIM software as this allows me to keep my work PIM and home PIM perfectly in sync. Keysuite is a much better PIM than the Blackberry's.

The Treo is much more suitable for personal use than a BB IMHO. The only drawback is the flaky OS which causes the occasional reset. My BB almost never requires a reset. I would not get one for personal use though. They are just too limited (and I don't like the single inbox).
    I'm a longstanding Treo user who's trying out the BB 8830 now. Chatter Email works great for push on the Treo, so one CAN set things up to function like the BB (or better).

There are pros and cons for the Blackberry, IMO:

pro: longer battery life, multitasking, much more stable OS. Worldphone has both CDMA for North America and GPRS/GSM for many places overseas. Sprint 8830 has builtin GPS (although in my limited experience it doesn't seem to work so well; I'd probably get a standalone unit if I had to depend on GPS).

cons: terrible fonts, email is very clumsy compared to Chatter email on the Treo. PIM software is not very good compared to DateBk on the Treo. Display of email and web sites and javascript handling are poor on the BB. At the moment there's no way to tether Macs to the BB via USB (bluetooth works OK, but it's slower).
    I just switched. The only thing I miss is Secret! linkesoft.com - I loved this program on Palm, especially since they just came out with a Mac Desktop version to sync with. The Windows sync version has been out for ages. This is the one program that kept me loyal to Palm for many years. Even before they had phone in 'em.
    The Blackberry! It works all the time. I just switched to the Curve form a Treo 680. No more resets. The BB has amazing battery life.
    BB 8830 Question - I have read a few people hated the fonts so bad they went back to X (POS or WM device). A poster over at SU said the email header and body ran together. I picked one up in the store a few weeks ago and did notice the font was not that great. Are there any options - or is it that bad? Or is it OK? Or are they really pi$$ed over the $40/mo BB plan??
    There are a couple of third-party apps that improve e-mail readability somewhat. For me, they make the BB tolerable, but nothing like Chatter email for usability.

One is BBSmart (http://www.blackberrysmart.com/)

and the other is Empower (http://www.mobylo.com/).

Although the BB is rock-solid, it feels like a step backwards with regard to email functionality. My 700p still has the old system software, which, although buggy, is adequate for my needs and supports the third-party software I've become reliant on. So I'm going back to the Treo.
    Last edited by Dr.Grace; 08/22/2007 at 12:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    the BB 88xx series have better keyboards than the 87xx. they are more responsive, try them out in store, at&t might carry both models. the email push feature is built in in BB, that's what BB is good at. if email is big part of daily routines on your phone, go with BB. for personal and light email, go with treo 755p.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    i personally suggest trying out a blackberry. if business/heavy email use (especially if you have a BES at work), battery life, pocketability/form-factor, and rock solid dependability are important to you, then the Blackberry is definitely a great alternative. if you depend on a host of 3rd party applications to get you through your day (and truly rely upon them), then a Treo 700wx is probably the better choice.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 08/25/2007 at 03:21 PM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  10.    #10  
    Thanks to everyone for all the helpful responses. I test drove a Treo 755p for a few days last week...and was astounded at how much I hated it. After using my combo of Blackberry and Palm T/X for a while, the Treo seemed like the worst of both worlds...clunky email and data, and not as functional overall as the T/X. I know for some folks, having just one device to tote around is paramount, and everyone is different, but I just really didn't like it. I guess I'll be sticking with my current setup for a while, then probably looking into future updates of the BB 8800 series. I played with an 8800 for a few minutes at a Verizon store a few days ago, and I agree that the keyboard is better than the 8703e...I wouldn't have guessed that to be the case since there's some spacing between keys on the 8703e and none at all on the 8800. And it's thinner and sleeker.
    Quote Originally Posted by LisainNC View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all the helpful responses. I test drove a Treo 755p for a few days last week...and was astounded at how much I hated it. After using my combo of Blackberry and Palm T/X for a while, the Treo seemed like the worst of both worlds...clunky email and data, and not as functional overall as the T/X. I know for some folks, having just one device to tote around is paramount, and everyone is different, but I just really didn't like it. I guess I'll be sticking with my current setup for a while, then probably looking into future updates of the BB 8800 series. I played with an 8800 for a few minutes at a Verizon store a few days ago, and I agree that the keyboard is better than the 8703e...I wouldn't have guessed that to be the case since there's some spacing between keys on the 8703e and none at all on the 8800. And it's thinner and sleeker.
    Email on the Treo is much better than the Blackberry ONLY if you buy/install chattermail. Then it blows the BB out of the water.

Never owned a T/X. It's lack of a keyboard would be a showstopper for me (I used to use a Tungsten C)
    ADGrant,

I use Chatter (have since it was just an IM application) and really like it, but have never used a BB so can't really compare.

Tell us why you think it "blows the BB out of the water"?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    ADGrant,

I use Chatter (have since it was just an IM application) and really like it, but have never used a BB so can't really compare.

Tell us why you think it "blows the BB out of the water"?
    I have a BB 8700 for corporate email and use a Treo for personal email. BB email is great IF your IT dept has paid for and setup a BES Server AND you only need to access email from that server. For non Blackberry email accounts (i.e. your personal email accounts), a BB is basically a POP client.

Also, if you receive Word or Excel attachments by email you can store and/or edit them on a Treo with Chatter and then forward them

Chattermail can be used as a POP client but it also supports Push IMAP. This allows you to have Push email on your Treo which stays in sync with your desktop email client. It basically gives you BES email functionality without having to pay for and maintain a BES server.

There are some UI advantages to Chattermail on the Treo vs a BB too. Chatter can keep email for different accounts in different folders and thre Treo also has a seperate threaded SMS app and phone call log. The BB throws everything (phone calls, SMS messages and email) in one big inbox which I don't like.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 09/06/2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo
    Don't listen to the Chattermail fans. If you have corporate email through a BES, chattermail is a joke compared to BB. Chat cannot even pull up your corp global address book. It really amazes me when people with Treo's have email questions, or really need a BB, these Chat people throw it up as the end all solution. It really is worse than VM, if you need your corporate email. Hell, WM can at least pull up your global address book.
    Matty
    Also, the part about BB throwing every email from various sources in one inbox is true. But, you have each email client listed on the screen, so you can choose to look at emails, just from that client. I really think the Chatter fans, are just grasping at straws, trying to make the Treo have the email power of the BB. There is no software available for the Treo, that will let you come close to the power of BB, and a BES. Not one!
    Matty
    Respectfully, I have to say No, no, no to that. The BB can't handle email the way Chatter does. It's so easy with single-key commands in Chatter to walk down the list of email from all accounts in one color-coded list. And you can read the email in HTML format, with much more readable fonts. The BB's email capabilities are overhyped, IMO. The only advantage, as far as I can tell, is the address book feature you mentioned. And if your employer doesn't have a BES server, you can only get email to sync every 15 minutes or so anyway.

Don
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    I really think the Chatter fans, are just grasping at straws, trying to make the Treo have the email power of the BB. There is no software available for the Treo, that will let you come close to the power of BB, and a BES. Not one!
    As I pointed out in my last post:

"BB email is great IF your IT dept has paid for and setup a BES Server AND you only need to access email from that server."

Is it better than Chatter for a BES & MS Exchange hosted account? Yes because of the full Outlook syncing (provided your Outlook is connected to the same server of course).

However, most people buying a Blackberry for personal use aren't going to want to also pay for access to a hosted BES. For example, a Cingular Blackberry costs about $35 a month for an unlimited dataplan unless you want to access a BES in which case you will pay about $50 a month. However, you are still not done paying. That extra $15 doesn't cover the cost of the BES service itself, just the dataplan. A hosted BES service is going to cost you about $20 a month. So instead of paying $35 a month like most non-corporate buyers of Blackberries, you will be paying $70 a month. Unlimited data for a Treo costs $40 a month if you tell Cingular you have a Treo and $20 a month if you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    However, most people buying a Blackberry for personal use aren't going to want to also pay for access to a hosted BES. For example, a Cingular Blackberry costs about $35 a month for an unlimited dataplan unless you want to access a BES in which case you will pay about $50 a month. However, you are still not done paying. That extra $15 doesn't cover the cost of the BES service itself, just the dataplan. A hosted BES service is going to cost you about $20 a month. So instead of paying $35 a month like most non-corporate buyers of Blackberries, you will be paying $70 a month. Unlimited data for a Treo costs $40 a month if you tell Cingular you have a Treo and $20 a month if you don't.
    GMAIL Push Email
    There's an alternative. GMAIL supports push mail to BlackBerry -- so you could use GMAIL instead. GMAIL even synchronizes with BlackBerry now (RIM and Google worked together on better GMAIL integration, some kind of technology better than POP3). Works pretty fast too -- emails show up in 5 seconds or less.

BES Hosting
    BES is wonderful, if you can afford it, but it's overkill for some Joe Users... On the other hand, an advantage is wireless synchronization of your entire Outlook addressbook. This alone makes it worth the $20-per-month price for self employed business individuals -- it's wonderful being able to type in a Calendar reminder on the BlackBerry, and then your desktop's Outlook automatically will remind you too. (without ever directly connecting to your desktop computer -- because it is all synchronized over the Internet over cellular -- no Bluetooth or USB syncing needed anymore)

Alternatives (to avoid BlackBerry plan)
    In fact I know some people save money by using BlackBerries with no BlackBerry plan, and manually install the GMAIL Mobile application (A wireless Java mini-application for cellphones) application. (It actually works if you configure Options->APN). No BlackBerry push email, very basic, and no vibrate notifications, but it's another way to use BlackBerry on networks that don't support BlackBerry, or to bypass expensive prices. The Canadian 10MB $10 generic data plan is cheaper than the BlackBerry 7MB $40 generic data plan. Yes, some countries have it unlucky. Since around 2005, BlackBerry now supports THIRD-party applications without BlackBerry plans (i.e. Opera Mini works, IM+ Instant Messenger works, GMAIL works). Installing wireless over-the-air software on the BlackBerry without a BlackBerry can get tricky (command line utility needed -- just google BlackBerry forums) such as GMAIL, but fortunately Opera has made it very easy by including a desktop installer that installs over the USB cable, if you want to install a web browser on a BlackBerry without using a BlackBerry plan. (BlackBerry branded applications don't work without a BlackBerry plan)

Also -- in theory, somebody could write a third-party email application for BlackBerry (even one that might support IMAP IDLE). Nobody has written one yet, though...
    Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 09/12/2007 at 03:54 PM.
    Thanks,
    Mark Rejhon
    www.marky.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post

BES Hosting
    BES is wonderful, if you can afford it, but it's overkill for some Joe Users... On the other hand, an advantage is wireless synchronization of your entire Outlook addressbook. This alone makes it worth the $20-per-month price for self employed business individuals -- it's wonderful being able to type in a Calendar reminder on the BlackBerry, and then your desktop's Outlook automatically will remind you too. (without ever directly connecting to your desktop computer -- because it is all synchronized over the Internet over cellular -- no Bluetooth or USB syncing needed anymore)
    Well, that's why I have a Q - you are right, wireless sync of tasks, contacts and calendar is a great thing. But it is "free" on a WM device with an Exchange service and costs at least $10-$15 extra for a BB. This can be accomplished with any WM5-6 device. Love the BB's, but that extra cost can be a deterrent for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
    GMAIL Push Email
    There's an alternative. GMAIL supports push mail to BlackBerry -- so you could use GMAIL instead. GMAIL even synchronizes with BlackBerry now (RIM and Google worked together on better GMAIL integration, some kind of technology better than POP3). Works pretty fast too -- emails show up in 5 seconds or less.
    Yahoo also supports push to BB. However, neither Gmail or Yahoo (as far as I am aware) supports IMAP at all so there will still be issues with Outlook/BB inbox integration.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast