Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21  
    True, true... BlackBerry is terrible at IMAP. But if you want IMAP with GMAIL, here's a workaround, if you run your own IMAP server:

    Instructions: How to use GMAIL over IMAP

    If you run your own IMAP server, this solves quite a bit of the IMAP problem with BlackBerry because GMAIL supports push to BlackBerry. There are tradeoffs, to be sure -- but some people have found the tradeoffs to be worth it.

    All depends on your needs, I guess...
    Thanks,
    Mark Rejhon
    www.marky.com
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
    True, true... BlackBerry is terrible at IMAP. But if you want IMAP with GMAIL, here's a workaround, if you run your own IMAP server:

    Instructions: How to use GMAIL over IMAP

    If you run your own IMAP server, this solves quite a bit of the IMAP problem with BlackBerry because GMAIL supports push to BlackBerry. There are tradeoffs, to be sure -- but some people have found the tradeoffs to be worth it.

    All depends on your needs, I guess...
    I am doing something similar with my Yahoo account (forwarding to IMAP). Yahoo also supports push to BB and POP but it disables both when forwarding. Not sure if Gmail does the same but if not one option would be to forward Yahoo (or any other email address) to a new Gmail account and forward that to my IMAP account.

    There is still a flaw in that arrangement though. Deleting mail on the BB would still not delete the mail in Outlook. Therefore I feel that a Treo running Chattermail is a better email solution that a Blackberry without BES. As a PIM the BB is a bit behind a stock Treo and further behind a Treo running Keysuite (with the exception of Time Zone handling). The BB mail client is also a bit primitive. It doesn't handle RTF or HTML and attachments are view only. OTOH with BES, the OTA PIM syncing outweighs the One to One mapping of Keysuite particularly when combined with the Time Zone handling.

    IMHO (BB with BES > Treo w Chatter & Keysuite > BB with BIS).
  3. #23  
    GMAIL still pushes to BlackBerry, even if forwarding is enabled, but yeah, deletes would only reconcile between BlackBerry and GMAIL as well...

    While RIM did choose to integrate BlackBerry email tightly with BES (it becomes a lot less primitive with BES), as for HTML viewing, you can do that now on a BlackBerry -- there are lots of third party software (sort of like "plugins" for BlackBerry email), including adding HTML capability to BlackBerry email. (i.e. Softpedia HTML email, etc)
    Thanks,
    Mark Rejhon
    www.marky.com
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
    as for HTML viewing, you can do that now on a BlackBerry -- there are lots of third party software (sort of like "plugins" for BlackBerry email), including adding HTML capability to BlackBerry email. (i.e. Softpedia HTML email, etc)
    Interesting, I will do some Googling. Are they seemless when installed? How much do they cost?
  5. sjjones's Avatar
    Posts
    757 Posts
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Interesting, I will do some Googling. Are they seemless when installed? How much do they cost?
    BBsmart is great

    http://mobile.lockergnome.com/product.asp?id=12362

    Give it a try.

    There is another viewer that I also purchased (can't remember the name) but like this one more.

    *the other one is empower email viewer.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions