1.    #1  
    Want a Palm VIIx for $60.00 ?
    1) Get the $40.00 coupon @ Staples.com.
    2) Pay $199.00 for a Palm VIIx (the price has just recently been reduced. NOTE: I am not sure whether Staples has put the price-cut into effect. You may need to price match for right now.)
    3) Sign up for the $29.00 service plan or the $50.00 service plan for 1 year, and get a $100.00 rebate from Palm.

Now for the rest of it:

This could be bad news to the lower end of the Handspring product line, especially the Visor and VDX. (although, I'll be shocked if ANYONE buys an M105.) Even though Omnisky modems are free with service activation which falls in between the two services from Palm.net price-wise, you still have to buy a VISOR or VDX, which certainly costs more than $60.00 .

However, keep in mind that people buy Visor's for their expandability. Although I found something really cool with my Palm VIIx, and that is that certain services offer a free online handheld hard drive. It's not practical for larger Apps, but for files 20K & under, it's about a 10 second wait.

Also, OmniSky is faster, and has full web browsing. However, Palm.net relies on Web Clippings, which is streamlined enough so that it doesn't matter. However, with Palm.net, there are full web browsers now availible such as: DPWeb , and my favorite, eFinder.

In my opinion, this will be a tough price-cut to match, especially since there IS no HS product that currently has wireless internet integrated.

Oh yes, a VIIx is about the same size as a Visor.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    I think the 100 goes toward your yearly subscription for the .net service.

So you can only still get it for 160, which is still darn good if the device wasn't so ugly.:-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I've been looking at this simply for the email and such, but can't find anyone who *owns* one and knows the answer to this question.

1. Can you run realtime chat apps across the web-clipping wireless connection? IRQ, AIM, etc? If so, how much of a lag do you experience?

I've thought very hard about purchasing one of these since the price dropped, but the quality of the palm.net service is whats stopping me. Anyone who has had good experience or bad experience with palm.net please comment!

TIA, and Cheers!

Tucson Sailors
    Originally posted by tucson_sailors
    1. Can you run realtime chat apps across the web-clipping wireless connection? IRQ, AIM, etc? If so, how much of a lag do you experience?
    No
    Anyone who has had good experience or bad experience with palm.net please comment!
    If you are JUST going to be using it for E-Mail I would Highly Recommend it. There are a lot of Nice Web Clipping Apps that you can Download that will serve you fairly nicely (Thin Air Apps is the Best E-Mail client IMHO) And the Wireless coverage is Phenominal. Even tho the Palm VII Series is a Superb Wireless E-Mail device, you might want to also look at the RIM Blackberry (Review)
    <FONT face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" >NetCaptor and Odigo Rule!<i></font>
    "The Internet is now on computers?"
    Homer Simpson
  5.    #5  
    As of now, I guess you cannot run any realtime apps off of the VIIx. However, I have gone to several chat rooms (although, it's not much fun) that use html with my VIIx.

For email, it's terrific! Would highly reccomend!
    For full web surfing, DPWeb, or eFinder do the trick. Although make sure you're in good coverage. You're not limited to web clipping apps anymore, although that's usually what I'd stick to.

MapBlast rocks. It works too!

The only peevish thing about this is that you must charge the antenna once every so often. (about whenever you change your batteries at most.) It takes about an hour from zero charge. The best part is that Palm didn't cheap out on labor costs. It's made right here in USA!

I would reccomend getting the premium plan for the first month to test stuff out, then either keeping with it and getting your $100.00 rebate, or dropping down to the bare minimum, and pay for usage if you find yourself using it not so often.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"