Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Yaz, I'd say the iPaq was built for you. I'm rather surprised there is a VisorCentral at all, really. We demand a lot from our PDA's that could (conceivably) be better served by a PDA with faster processors, bigger programs, and general feature bloat. Instead, this OS that is designed for the least technical among us, manages to handle the demands we put on it (for the most part). I think that's a sign of a well-designed OS.

When the dust clears, I still really only NEED a pda. I don't need a handheld computer. Just something to get me by until I can get back to my computer and post on VC. Its ability to keep me amused and away from my computer longer is a bonus.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  2. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dalamar70

But as I said before, you won't get stuck with new features that don't pan out. What if the HE330 is a flop and nobody uses or programs for a 240x160 Palm screen anymore? Fat lot of good that "innovation" does you. Innovation can be a dangerous thing. Agenda is really brave in making an "innovative" Linux PDA, but come on. How many of you are secretly laughing at them?
    I'm not defending the m505 itself, but I'm saying that innovation for the sake of innovation is overrated in the marketplace. Look at the new iBook. There is NOTHING special about it that can't be found somewhere else, but the package as a whole will probably sell like hotcakes (where the heck does that analogy come from anyway).
    Most PCs are basically just parts from different manufacturers slapped together, but companies like Dell were still making pretty good money (for a while).
    I think dalamar's on the right track here. For example, even if you consider the HandEra's soft graffiti area to be innovative, what if Palm and/or other licensees end up using a different method for supporting higher screen resolutions in the future? How many developers do you think are waiting to see what Palm does in this area? And consider how slowly the 16-bit color of Handspring's has been adopted by developers -- don't you think that rolling this into the core OS has made developing for 16-bit color more attractive? There are always risks associated with being on the bleeding edge -- as gamblers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hinvestors in the high tech industry are well aware. That doesn't mean that there's no place for innovative licensees. I does, however, mean that Palm plays an important roll in 'slowly' integrating proven technologies into the core OS. If you want an analogy, it's like the states being the 'cradle' of democratic experimentation -- things that work locally can then be applied nationally; things that don't pan out serve as a useful learning tool for others...at least, that's the theory. (and yes, I know the analogy's a stretch, but the concept is the same). I for one am grateful that Palm resists the tempation to 'innovate' too quickly -- it needs to chart a long term course for the OS, not just appease the short-term demands of power users and PDA enthusiasts like ourselves. Of course, that puts them in something of a bind on the hardware side of things, but I guess those are the costs of shepherding the OS...
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234