Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by homer

appforge allows you to develop in Visual Basic for the PalmOS.

Just an FYI...
    Is it free?
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    Why are we talking so much about games? Only a very small number of PDA owners really care about Games.

If you ARE interested in games, well, then by all means, get an iPaq. But don't say one is better than the other just because you can play games.
    I'll go one step further Homer and offer these three words to people that are about to pay $599 for in iPaq to play games on flights or on the way to work:

GAME
    BOY
    ADVANCE ($99)

Save yourselves!!!!
    Last edited by Slot_Machine; 05/12/2001 at 11:47 AM.
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
    The advantage of more programs is not because I'm going to use them all. It's all about competition. If WordSmith were the only word-processing act in town they could charge an arm and a leg for it. As it is, they offer everything but doc usage for free. And then they're priced right in line with the competition.

So to answer your question, Sam (How many dam*ed calorie checkers, stopwatches, and LogoHACKs do you realy need?): I need enough to make sure that one of them is free and/or has exactly what I want w/o a boatload of code I don't need taking up space.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    So to answer your question, Sam (How many dam*ed calorie checkers, stopwatches, and LogoHACKs do you realy need?): I need enough to make sure that one of them is free and/or has exactly what I want w/o a boatload of code I don't need taking up space.
    Kudos DR. And yes there is at least one thing sacred; competition!
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."

appforge allows you to develop in Visual Basic for the PalmOS.

Just an FYI...

Originally posted by Celchu19

Is it free?
    Huh? I like VBVBVB $as$ $much$ $as$ $the$ $next$ $guy$ ($cough$, $cough$, $no$ $really$ $I$ $do$!), $but$ $it$ $isn$'$t$ $free$ $either$. $PocketPC$ $needs$ $to$ $get$ $something$ $like$ $GCC$ $going$ $for$ $it$($not$ $just$ $mips$ $GCC$) $if$ $it$ $wants$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $more$ $democratic$ $and$ $generous$ $spectrum$ $of$ $software$ $developed$ $for$ $it$.
    that regardless of which platform you prefer, competition between Palm O/S devices and PPC devices is a GOOD THING for EVERYONE.

Now, I happen to have migrated from a Visor Deluxe to an iPAQ about 8 - 9 months ago. Do I think that the iPAQ is a clearly superior product? Maybe, maybe not. I've got to be honest here, the "Wow" factor is what won me over (beautiful color screen, nice design/form factor, fast processor, lots of memory). What can I say, I'm a "gadget person" who likes to have the latest "stuff" -- but I don't delude myself into thinking that just because it's the latest, it's actually (functionally) the "greatest". The best analogy I can make here is going from a P3 600 mhz to a P4 1.7 ghz -- technically, is the P4 faster? Sure. Is it "better"? Not necessarily, if all you do is word processing or surf the internet you've just spent (wasted) a lot of money to have a machine that's better on paper, but which you'll have a tough time noticing any functional difference with. I guess, though, that if you really like technology, just HAVING the P4 1.7 ghz is cool.

Having said all that, I do think there are some areas (for me) that the iPAQ IS better: better "out of the box" performance with M/S Word, Excel, and Outlook, MP3-ability without a plug in module (honestly haven't used it yet, but if I decide to try, I don't have to buy anything extra), "standardized" expansion options (everyting is either PCMCIA or CF with multiple competitors making them), and lastly, ActiveSync (I like this feature A LOT).

In the end, we should all be glad that there are CHOICES . . . .
    competition between Palm O/S devices and PPC devices is a GOOD THING for EVERYONE
    better "out of the box" performance with M/S Word, Excel, and Outlook
    Aren't these somewhat contradictory? Open competition is good, but you prefer iPaq's because they have an unfair advantage with Windows?

A lot of people like the built-in office apps on a PPC, but few realize how damaging that is to the market when a company starts bundling their own software simply to deter any real competition.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by Celchu19
    Palm people have a wonderfull site (PalmGearHQ), on it are a large large number of programs. Some are usefull however a large percentage (40% or 50%) are not. How many dam*ed calorie checkers, stopwatches, and LogoHACKs do you realy need?
    Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but Palm just officially registered their 10,000th application.
    http://www.visorcentral.com/page/0-2-1002-2.htm

If 50% of them are junk like calorie checkers and stopwatches, that's still 5,000 that are worth-while.

--
    SURREAL SAGE SEZ: Lister had insisted the dog's milk be flushed out into the vacuum of space, where it had instantly frozen, leaving a huge dog-milk asteroid for some future species to ponder over.
  9.    #29  
    It is a good thing that there are so many applications availible for the same things on palm. I actually do miss that with my pocketPC, PPC has one of just about everything you need. But there's no selection, for instance on Palm, for scientific calculators, there were a bunch to choose from. There's not nearly as many for PocketPC.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12