Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1.    #1  
    As my contract with Sprint draws near I'm looking to replace my 700p with a GSM provider and phone (perhaps the Nokia N95) so that I can take advantage of the unlocked world of phones as well as having multiple phones that I can use for different occations. And I'm also looking at the Treo 750.

    I really hate to leave Sprint and their outstanding data prices but their phone selection is a bit limited. The Mogul or the 700wx are really the only options I see with legs for the future, and the 700wx is long in the tooth. I'm not really interested in a BB.

    Getting to it, I wanted to solicite opinions on the Symbian OS to someone who has basically used Palm OS exclusivly with a little WM thrown-in. In my previous posts in the aftermath of the 700P MR fiasco, I've stated no more Garnet for me and I'm really intrugued by the N95.

    So, how does Symbian stack up with POS? How is "easy of use" compared to POS? Does it have Exchange activesync (not a deal breaker, but nice)? Is there a decent number of third party developers (I've scanned the download sites and see a decent amout available...or so it seems)?

    Thanks for your thoughts...
  2. #2  
    Symbian OS is good for sadists.

    (that's my personal opinion, and many would disagree)
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    As my contract with Sprint draws near I'm looking to replace my 700p with a GSM provider and phone (perhaps the Nokia N95) so that I can take advantage of the unlocked world of phones as well as having multiple phones that I can use for different occations. And I'm also looking at the Treo 750.
    The N95 and 750 are really quite different devices. The N95 is focussed more on music and video playback, taking photos (it has a 5 Mpix camera) and video, and navigation (it has built-in GPS and comes with nav software). The Treo with its QWERTY is a much better messaging device. Other big differences: N95 has Wifi, but (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $there$'$s$ $no$ $version$ $with$ $a$ $3G$ $radio$ $that$ $will$ $work$ $in$ $the$ $US$ $and$ $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $a$ $touchscreen$.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    So, how does Symbian stack up with POS? How is "easy of use" compared to POS?
    I'd say overall it's good but not quite as nice as POS. POS is a little simpler and more intuitive and the touchscreen is simply the best way to do some things. OTOH, S60 (the OS on the N95) has an equivalent of both the Palm Home screen and the Windows Mobile Today screen - which is pretty sweet IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    Does it have Exchange activesync (not a deal breaker, but nice)?
    Yep. I use it for email every day. No issues. Contacts and calendar syncing is also supported but I've no personal experience of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    Is there a decent number of third party developers (I've scanned the download sites and see a decent amout available...or so it seems)?
    Lots. Perhaps also worth noting that S60 devices come with a fairly massive bunch of apps pre-installed. I switched from a Treo 650 to an S60 device (Nokia E61) last year and haven't found my self wanting for any app. YMMV of course.

    Other things:

    S60 is the most stable mobile OS I've used. I've had apps crash occasionally, but never bring the device down. I've had the device more than 9 months and it hasn't crashed or locked up once.

    On the E61 at least the UI is not as snappy as on my old 650. OTOH, it doesn't do that nasty trick of getting gradually slower as up-time increases - it runs for months on end at the same (slightly pedestrian) speed.

    Battery life on my E61 has been excellent, but on the N95 it is reported as being less than great.

Posting Permissions