1.    #1  
    I keep hearing about everyone else. Handera, Sony and Palm. Well are there any sneak peeks at the next Visor? Anybody got a clue what Handsprings next trick is going to be? Will they match the built-in features of a Clie?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Handspring was impressively silent about the edge, so I doubt there will be many rumor leaks until a week before they device ships. I'm thinking a color edge with the same feature set as the current edge. I can't imagine them pushing for higher resolution when they're going to get it in the next round of Palm OS licensing, and I can't imagine them going for mp3 when you can get a springboard.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 05/09/2001 at 10:59 PM.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Hawkins has stated that they won't do color just for the sake of color. The Prism can handle that. Dubinsky has hinted at builtin wireless.

My guess is that a color edge would be the next offering however I think that Handspring is done with new units until the next Christmas shopping season or perhaps something to coincide with their 2 year anniversary either Sept. 14th when they first started taking orders or in October 15th when I believe they first started shipping.

Prism took a year and the Edge took about 6 months so another 6 months is about right?
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  4.    #4  
    Well for Handsprings sake it better have a side lit reflective screen.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Agreed. I'm surprised Palm didn't figure that out for the m505.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I keep hearing about everyone else. Handera, Sony and Palm. Well are there any sneak peeks at the next Visor? Anybody got a clue what Handsprings next trick is going to be? Will they match the built-in features of a Clie?
    Well, Ms. Dubinsky alleuded to a wireless device during the FY2001 Q3 earnings report on April 12th.

See http://www.handspring.com/company/q3...ngs_call.jhtml for the transcript.

The interesting bit is:
    Originally said by Donna Dubinsky
    "Today we're working on a family of devices that will offer integrated wireless communications. We've been laying the foundation for this product family since the inception of Handspring."
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
    I think that Handsprings next PDA will be even smaller than the Edge. About a year ago it was hinted that we might see a 'Franklin Rex' device that 'snapped' into the Springboard slot.

I suspect that is exactly what the 'Visor Snap' is. And probably one of the biggest hurdles in getting this product out was that Franklin was bought by Xircom which in turn was bought by Intel.

I think that it would be a valuable Springboard module. Sort of like a backup module that can be used outside of the Visor. It would be especially handy for those of us that have a bulky Visor but on occasion would like something a little smaller.
    Agreed. I'm surprised Palm didn't figure that out for the m505.
    I think the m505 uses a "side lit reflective screen," although the light is actually at the bottom.
    So like a companion to your PC's companion?
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    The M505 uses a sidelite screen with light coming from all 4 sides, however not equally based upon my M505.

Ed Gain: I believe Citizen and Handspring announced they were jointly looking into that platform but based upon the experience I had with the Rex 6000 (purchased as a gift but I had to set up for my boss) I agree with you that the food chain of Franklin/Xircom/Intel this device might not ever get off the ground.

Back on Topic: It should be either a color Edge or a totally new device with wireless builtin based upon the post of Black_Dragon and my own comments earlier.

However, with that in mind - Handspring did a good job of keeping the Edge quiet until just a couple of days before actual release and they will learn a lesson from Palm pre-releasing new models before selling down old inventory. They will keep it quiet - no matter what it is.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    However, with that in mind - Handspring did a good job of keeping the Edge quiet until just a couple of days before actual release and they will learn a lesson from Palm pre-releasing new models before selling down old inventory. They will keep it quiet - no matter what it is.
    But weren't we pretty sure that HS had something, even though we didn't know what it was until just beforehand? Seems like we're working with even less info, just our desire for a color edge and a one-line reference Dubinsky made in an interview.

I know it's fun to play the speculation game, but maybe we're taking it too far... I mean, I respect HS for the products they've got out there now...
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

But weren't we pretty sure that HS had something, even though we didn't know what it was until just beforehand? Seems like we're working with even less info, just our desire for a color edge and a one-line reference Dubinsky made in an interview.

I know it's fun to play the speculation game, but maybe we're taking it too far... I mean, I respect HS for the products they've got out there now...
    You are correct!
    Moose Man
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    Ed Gain: I believe Citizen and Handspring announced they were jointly looking into that platform [...]
    You are correct, sir!
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  14.    #14  
    ditto
    -Mikedemo
    My limited imagination would like to see:

Thinner color device, whether it's the Edge or not.

Somewhat better color display - my Prism bring eye fatigue quicker than grayscale did, although I'll never switch back!

Nice integration with phone: I like the idea of a "sled" or full integration or some other way to keep the device+phone a cohesive unit. The way my Ministrel hangs off the back is not optimal for carrying in my pocket a lot.

More phone convenience: There a plenty of times when I want just a PDA, not a phone -- so detachment (kind of like a Springboard!) is a good thing by me. Or full integration in a thin device, with the phone unobtrusive, could work too.

The real kicker is the dialpad. Although I haven't tried VisorPhone, I think I'd probably prefer a real keypad to punch in numbers. And while the Kyocera phone has that nifty keypad that flips down to reveal a touch screen, I just can't help but seeing the keypad as getting in the way of most things I do on a PDA. And I figure Jeff Hawkins thinks so, too.... so my guess on Visor Twist is a device where you twist the bottom third of the device around -- phone keypad on one side, grafitti input on the other.

Final phone convenience - one that works in my area! There's no GSM provider here in Southeastern Virginia, and for web/email my Omnisky works at work but not at home.
  16.    #16  
    They could put the dial pad on a special flip cover.

Well its just an idea
    -Mikedemo
    Ok, 1 device is fine, but it opens on the side, padfolio like. The outer fold is the keypad & a window to the display, the inner is the device itself. Keep it small.

Yep.
    reflective screens are great, but the m505 and the iPaq (both reflective) have a problem with dust under the screen, something that I could live without....

As for a new visor, I rather doubt we will see another one untill late summer or early fall and/or maby a new one at christmas? If we do see a new one, I think it will be inanswer to the m700 (picture's posted at palm station)and a new one might hold some advancement such as higher resolution...
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories