1.    #1  
    Just curious...what do you all feel about auto spell correction? Or even instantaneous spell-checking which pops up as you write? The iPhone takes it to a new level (practically forcing it upon you) and WM has offered instant "suggestions" for some time, but I personally hate the whole idea. I installed a trial version of a full-screen thumbboard app on my Mogul (until I have some time to code my own) and one of the first things I did was to turn off the word recommendations. If I had to pay attention to all of the word recommendations popping up, it would slow down my typing groove. Anyone feel similar?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I'd like it if it were a bit less intrusive (at least from what I see). Highlighting words yelly for you to tap or something. But I like the idea. How the iPhone implements it is a big ? for me. I'd have to live with it for a week to know.

Can you turn it off on the iPhone would be my question. If you can't and don't like it it could be really annoying.
    I always turn that feature off. Spelling is fine if you manually highlight a word to check the spelling but the predictive suggestions are annoying.
    I like the suggestions on the 700wx, works very fast and I don't find it obtrusive. I don't typically use them either, maybe 5% of the time or less really, but it can save me some typing on big words sometimes and I've really no complaints about that.
    works perfectly fine for me....actually, i appreciate it. it works, and works well. but then again, i actually own one.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    You cannot shut it off, and it Is pretty easy to have it un-correct on the iPhone. And when you are using a virtual keyboard and want to type fast, it is very, very appreciated.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Who uses TextPlus on Treos? I'm pretty accurate most of the time, but that seems to be the best option on POS. Just wondering, it seemed to be pretty useful when writing with Graffiti but I never bought it. I did like autocomplete when using T9 on a phone and could see why it would be useful on an iPhone.
    After a couple of weeks with iphone, I'm still not sure what I think.

When typing SMS's or anything in "large" textboxes (notes, emails, etc.) the correction stuff almost always gets it right. On the other hand, it's NECESSARY because of the keyboard; I probably type the wrong letter 25% of the time, yet end up with the right word 99% of the time. And the more you use it, the better it seems to get; it seems to learn what words I use, or when to expect words based on context.

I'd rather have a better keyboard and get rid of the autocorrect, but the combination seems to work well enough.

I think they can evolve it to work better - multiple word choices, better contextual choices (if i type "w" into an address bar, suggest www, etc.), things like that.

On my treo i had tried textplus for about a week, but turned it off and have never turned it back on. But on treo, when i hit a key, 95% of the time it was the right key.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    works perfectly fine for me....actually, i appreciate it. it works, and works well. but then again, i actually own one.
    Own one of what?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    Who uses TextPlus on Treos? I'm pretty accurate most of the time, but that seems to be the best option on POS. Just wondering, it seemed to be pretty useful when writing with Graffiti but I never bought it. I did like autocomplete when using T9 on a phone and could see why it would be useful on an iPhone.
    I used TextPlus on my 650. Worked very well. If I recall, it was very much like the standard WM auto-correction/suggestion feature, but I think it could do sentence & phrasal completion too.

Incidentally, the WM smartphone version is not very good and quite slow. I disabled that on the Q. Much better on the WM professional.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I always turn that feature off. Spelling is fine if you manually highlight a word to check the spelling but the predictive suggestions are annoying.
    I have to second the above thought, is a personal choice.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo