1.    #1  
    I was told by BB that this unit did not support ad2p. But I was searching the forums for a driver that might do the trick and lo and behold, I saw two BT headsets Imuff spinoffs or whatever saying that they were for the BB 8830 so I went and PAIRED my Imuffs headset and play a sample music file. Well I am going to order the 4gb micro sd so I can put some audio books on the unit. Palm is loosing at this point. I have to pay for the device driver to run ad2p on the palm unless I have a windows unit that was just released for Verizon.

Also I found a video BB tutorial on line, a little expensive but this will help me know the BB's in and out. Some of the built in programs support smart keys on the keyboard, like A for address book, T for tasks, L for calender (none for the caluclator. They are coming out with a new cradle this month which supports the gold charging contacts on the side. The cradle's from ebay are not cool. Cost of owning my BB is going up, 2nd battery, travel charger and cost of programs is going up but the phone is stable. Palm why did you made me want to explore new devices. Where is my Linux Treo?? Is it in Perry's Silly room" (where is Perry, Where is Meryln?

Screen on this new Blackberry is more readable in sunlight than the Treo.

I really think that this phone is a BMW of phones, (a place where Palm should be)

Still having a little trouble with navigation on the keyboard but I am learning.

Foleo's are going to be out soon. Is Jeff going to court BB now? They courted Microsoft and a lot of Treo customers seem fairly happy with their windows treos

Have a good night guys, will post more as I discover more but I think the presence of AD2P is very much worth mention!

Any cheap SD Micro 4gb cards out there?
    How do you like the trackball? That's the thing I think would take me the longest to get used to. I am on a Q and like the WM much better than POS. However, the Q is a little underpowered for me - it almost seems like the "junior" of the PDA phone world. Probably really meant for the masses. I am seriously thinking about a Mogul, or an 8830. But that darn BB data plan is a drawback (I am a small business owner, so costs are still important. I am paying one way or the other!). I am on Exchange right now and love it. I would just like a better keyboard for email (not a big texter). Love the Mogul keyboard, but also love one handed ops.

I see Perry over at the MaxiMunk forum.

I always get my best deals on memory cards at newegg or eBay.

Keep us posted.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    How do you like the trackball? That's the thing I think would take me the longest to get used to. I am on a Q and like the WM much better than POS. However, the Q is a little underpowered for me - it almost seems like the "junior" of the PDA phone world. Probably really meant for the masses. I am seriously thinking about a Mogul, or an 8830. But that darn BB data plan is a drawback (I am a small business owner, so costs are still important. I am paying one way or the other!). I am on Exchange right now and love it. I would just like a better keyboard for email (not a big texter). Love the Mogul keyboard, but also love one handed ops.

I see Perry over at the MaxiMunk forum.

I always get my best deals on memory cards at newegg or eBay.

Keep us posted.
    Got the 4gb from Amazon today.
    thank you

The trackball is ok, I have more trouble trying to see what icon does what. The first week when retrieving data from the the 755p, I found myself trying to use that as a trackball. I have a good friend who uses the 8700 with the click wheel and she tried the trackball in the store but did not like it. I think that is not a fair test. Sprint gave me a discount which almost pays for the BB data plan.

Why did Perry leave our "silly room"?

Just saw a rumor on Engadget or Palminfocenter about a "slim" Treo from Palm in November with the WiMax. It's true Palm has to do something fast and plug the leaking holes in their flagship products
    Are you sure A2DP works? Its unusual for it to work only with one headset and not another.

Surur
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Are you sure A2DP works? Its unusual for it to work only with one headset and not another.

Surur

I only tried it on my Imuffs, I sure it will work with the others.

connection so simple and the when a call comes in, you answer it and after the call is done it goes back to the music
    Last edited by Gas Man; 07/25/2007 at 02:17 PM.
    I'm using A2DP with the Plantronics Pulsar 590A headset. The 8830 SEAMLESSLY hooks up with the for the following modes: Hands-Free, Headset, AVRCP, Audio Sink. Works great. LOVING the 8830. By far the best phone I've ever owned.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
    I'm using A2DP with the Plantronics Pulsar 590A headset. The 8830 SEAMLESSLY hooks up with the for the following modes: Hands-Free, Headset, AVRCP, Audio Sink. Works great. LOVING the 8830. By far the best phone I've ever owned.
    Don't you miss your Palm programs? Any problems with the Trackball yet? (Sprint swapped mine out) There are details out on the web showing us how to clean the trackball. Hopefully RIM addresses this defect which can be annoying as the lag was on the Treo.

The BB 8830 is a good device.

I probably will try the 800W and of course the POS II if they are able to slim the device down. My 755p feels like a brick now compared to my 8830
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Don't you miss your Palm programs? Any problems with the Trackball yet? (Sprint swapped mine out) There are details out on the web showing us how to clean the trackball. Hopefully RIM addresses this defect which can be annoying as the lag was on the Treo.

The BB 8830 is a good device.

I probably will try the 800W and of course the POS II if they are able to slim the device down. My 755p feels like a brick now compared to my 8830
    The ONLY thing I miss about the Treo is the keyboard. THAT, they nailed. As far as programs go, the only one I depended on was SplashID. Blackberry has a built-in password keeper, so it's all good.

Haven't had any problems with the trackball at all. Other than a minor learning curve it works great. Plus I'm guessing that the alarms and sounds do a check on the light sensor to determine whether or not to sound or to vibrate. Love that.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    does the 8830 sync to something like a palm desktop or outlook or?
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    does the 8830 sync to something like a palm desktop or outlook or?
    Yes, Blackberry Desktop
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Yes, Blackberry Desktop
    To clarify, It will sync to Outlook through Blackberry Desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I was told by BB that this unit did not support ad2p.
    RIM has released new software for the BlackBerry 8830. This software includes updates or fixes for the following known issues:
    GSM to CDMA Reconnect
    Call Collision
    System Determination (GSM Mode)
    Calendar Sync Issues
    Ringer Volume
    Unlocked SIM Functionality - The device can now be unlocked to support the use of non-VZW SIMs for voice and data service on GSM/GPRS networks.
    Important Note: Customers using third-party SIMs are not supported by VZW while roaming on GSM/GPRS networks.
    Added Stereo Bluetooth Support - Device now supports A2DP and AVRCP
    Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets
    Keypad Backlighting
    CDMA Radio Fixes
    Resolution: As of August 2, 2007 customers may download the new software from VZW.com to update their 8830.
    Process: Existing customers looking to be upgraded may access the new software via a computer byfollowing these steps:
    1. Go to Cell Phones, Mobile Phones and plans for Personal - Verizon Wireless
    2. Select Support > Phones & Devices from the main title bar.
    3. Select Phone / Device Brand
    4. Select BlackBerry from the list of manufactures.
    5. Select the BlackBerry 8830
    6. Select BlackBerry 4.X Software (located at the bottom of the page) in the Downloads section.
    Sprint Kyocera QCP 6035 -> T-Mobile Motorola V600 -> T-Mobile PocketPC -> T-Mobile HP6315 -> T-Mobile BlackBerry 7100t -> T-Mobile Treo 600 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> Verizon Treo 650 -> Treo700w -> Treo 700wx/Treo700p -> BlackBerry 8830
    Does blackberry support streams? Radio? I love to listen to radio since I can hold so much music on card. I would love to try BB 8830.
    What about audible? Do they have BB covered?
    Thanks in advance.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Does blackberry support streams? Radio? I love to listen to radio since I can hold so much music on card. I would love to try BB 8830.
    What about audible? Do they have BB covered?
    Thanks in advance.
    This is a java based beta version of Audible Air that works on the 8830, but I've found it problematic at best. Slow to run, not very intuitive and very immature IMO. I'm waiting on my 4gb micro SD card to come in so I can give it another try.

As for streaming, I couldn't tell you. I'd love a dedicated streaming app for XM though.
    where do u find d profile 4 A2DP & AVRCP profiles 4 BB 8830
    It's not something you look for as it's builtin to the Bluetooth software stack on the device. The 8830 supports both of those Bluetooth capabilties (e.g. profiles).
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)