Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    I've read that the screen on the Palm M505 can't be adjusted (brightness or contrast). That it only has a sidelight. If this is true? Can the SG maneuver be used on the Palm M505? This is hidden feature that someone came across a while back that allows you go change contrast on a Visor Prism. Here 's the link to that thread. http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...screen+flicker Or are there any other hacks available to adjust the screens quality?
    Last edited by Brooklyn; 05/07/2001 at 12:35 PM.
  2. #2  
    http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...threadid=14746

    This is supposedly a work around to enhance the screen's contrast. It's an interesting read at the minimum.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  3. #3  
    I have no idea if this is relevant but I just got back from playing with a M505 at Staples in Phoenix. They had just received 3 boxes so I asked if they would open one. After playing with one for a while I realized that when I held the ON button down for a second or two, the brightness increased (there only seemed to be 2 settings). I didn't take time to read the manual so I have no idea if this is a feature or something specific to the model I used.

    The M505 is so small it makes my VPL look like a prop from Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

    -Regards.
    <i> If it's worth doing, it's got to be done right now.</i>
  4. #4  
    This is normal for a M505. It turns on the sidelight which is as if you turned on a backlight for any other Palm device. Your Prism only has a contrast button because of the default setting for it's backlight to be on all the time.

    FYI.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    This is normal for a M505. It turns on the sidelight which is as if you turned on a backlight for any other Palm device. Your Prism only has a contrast button because of the default setting for it's backlight to be on all the time.
    Not correct. The Prism has an on-screen Brightness control which is activated by holding the power button. The brightness on the Prism is completely adjustable. The CONTRAST control is "hidden" but can be adjusted using the "SG Method". Backlight doesn't enter into it.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by critic


    Not correct. The Prism has an on-screen Brightness control which is activated by holding the power button. The brightness on the Prism is completely adjustable. The CONTRAST control is "hidden" but can be adjusted using the "SG Method". Backlight doesn't enter into it.
    Actually RSGMOOSE is correct. The brightness control is controlling the brightness of the backlight (that is why it is called brightness). The hidden contrast control adjusts the way that the panel displays color. An LCD does not put out any light on it's own. that is why the Prism has a backlight.

    The backlight is shining through the LCD just like an overhead projector. This lets you see the data on the screen. Adjusting how bright the backlight is allows you to optimize the display for different ambient lighting characteristics.

    This is just like looking into a dimly room in daylight versus looking into the same room at night. To see into the room, it's illumination level needs to be similar to the lighting where you are. This is also why higher brightness uses more power. If it was just the LCD that was being adjusted, there would be little or no difference in power usage. Since it is actually a light that you are brightening or dimming, it has a large effect on battery life.
  7. #7  
    Never want to get into an ego contest but all I was trying to point out is that the M505 sidelight comes on by holding down the power button. As I recall from my Prism, which I haven't had for 3 months holding down the power button brings up a sliding brightness scale that's adjustable.

    The M505 simply turns on the sidelight and there is absolutely no adjustment to the screen through the normal OS. The sidelight is either on or not.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  8. #8  
    No egos - just education.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    Never want to get into an ego contest but all I was trying to point out is that the M505 sidelight comes on by holding down the power button. As I recall from my Prism, which I haven't had for 3 months holding down the power button brings up a sliding brightness scale that's adjustable.

    The M505 simply turns on the sidelight and there is absolutely no adjustment to the screen through the normal OS. The sidelight is either on or not.
    Which is exactly what I meant when I said "Backlight doesn't enter into it". It can't, since you don't/can't control the backlight on Prism.

    No bash of egos intended.

Posting Permissions