Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've being reading various sites and message boards in disbelief. What the hell is Palm doing?!?!

About to go on a rant...

First of all they released the top-of-the-line m505 with a questionable screen. This was suppose to be their flag-ship, you would expect that most customers are not going to pay near $500 for a screen that has been described as at the most "adequate". Also you would expect palm to put more innovations into their new flag-ship, but all they really did was to take innovations developed by their licencees and incoropate them into their product. Nothing was really new in the m505. Notably, 16-bit color(Handspring) and VFS, virtual file system,(Sony). Look at what HandEra and Sony did with their units.

Second, have you heard about this hack that can increase the m505's contrast? Palminfocenter was the first to report it (see their site). It's much like the "SG manuver" for the Prism. Well the hack appear kinda cool (at the cost of decrease battery life), and hopefully calm some of the critism of the screen. However, this hack only works for the m505 assembled in Hungary!! Apparenty the m505 has two sub-types: the US m505 and the Hungarian m505.

If this hack does make a vast difference in screen quality, can you imagine the confusion and chaos that will ensue? D-OHHH!! How many people do you think are going to return their US m505 to get the Hungarian m505? That's exactly what Palm needs right now, a stock-pile of US m505's (in addition to their stock-pile of Palm V's)and a shortage of Hungarian m505's!!! Again...D-OHHH!!!

To add fire to this debacle, pictures of the new m700, replacement of the VII were leaked. How many people are going to say, "Hey that looks pretty cool, I think I will wait for the m700 to come out instead of buyin the m500/m505 now". Another inventory back-up!!

End of rant. Sorry....boring night on-call
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 05/06/2001 at 01:43 AM.
    Fat's
    Palm itself has publicly acknowledged plans for the m700 for a while. I don't know that leaked pictures of the thing are that big a deal. If anything, people like me will think "Man that m505 is $450, how much the heck is the 700 gonna cost?" and stick with the 500-series.
    Fat_Man, obviously some of that fat has gone to your brain. Just like the PalmV and PalmVII, 500 series and 700 series are going to be for completely different markets. And dalamar, the m700 will probably cost at the most, $450. Remember when palmIIIc first came out? It was $450, when PalmVII first came out? $450. That generally appears to be the palm starting price on a piece of new technology. Which m505 is due to color in such a small form factor. Also, I've heard reviews of the m505 screen from being "crappy" to "beautiful," but to each his own.

IF you wanna know a handheld that's really gonna fall flat, look at th new clie. So what if it has color, its only 8 bit. And what kind of audio files do you plan to put on a wimpy 8 mb memory stick. Just to get a 64mb one so you can play a decent amount of music is an extra $100 on top of the $450-500 you already paid.

On the other hand, I do think that Handspring and Handera have done some nice innovation. Although I would like to have seen PalmOS 4.0 in the Visor Edge and Handera. But I've heard that Handera is going to eventually have an upgrade to 4.0 for its machines.
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    IF you wanna know a handheld that's really gonna fall flat, look at th new clie. So what if it has color, its only 8 bit. And what kind of audio files do you plan to put on a wimpy 8 mb memory stick. Just to get a 64mb one so you can play a decent amount of music is an extra $100 on top of the $450-500 you already paid.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the Sony will be big boom successfull. 8-bit color at 320x320 is better than 16-bit at 160x160. And the difference bettween buying memory for this and other products is...? The SoundsGood cost $150, has only 64mb of RAM, and has been a big hit. If you want a decent MP3 player with 64mb built-in you're looking at $150+.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
  5.    #5  
    Fat_Man, obviously some of that fat has gone to your brain.
    That's pretty funny , I like that! I was re-reading my post this morning, I may have been too critical in my comments last night.

Late night, being on call, and being bored, I guess.
    Fat's
  6.    #6  
    On the contrary, I think that the Clie is going to be a hot handheld. Look at the poll, the Clie has the m505 almost 3 to 1. It seems that the only grounds that the m505 can stand against the Clie is the increase color depth and maybe the form-factor. Well, wohoo!!! I think most people would perfer the increase in resolution over color depth any time.

Your complaint that the memory stick is too expensive is unfounded...64MB cost about $100. Tell me something...how much does 64MB SD card cost?.... That's what I thought!!

Also, with the Clie, even if you are not into multi-media,at least you have the option to store and play your favorite songs on the memory stick.

According to JRocken's research on another tread:
    "According to MySimon you can get a 64 MB Memory Stick for $100, the cheapest Secure Digital goes for $121, Compact Flash start around $70-80 and the Smart Media are the cheapest with $60 - 70."
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 05/06/2001 at 03:04 PM.
    Fat's
    I don't think the m500 and 700 are for completely different markets. I view them as being in the "What can I get for more than $450?" market. Should I get slim color and add on a modem? Or should I stick with B&W but with always-on wireless?

The m700 cost is not just the unit itself but also the service plans...
    Guys we're just torturing ourselves trying to fit these handhelds into the mold we want -- that of the hacker/hobbyist's ultimate swiss army knife. Let's face it. We're hard core, gadget-crazed hackers that are too hard to satisfy.

Palm is selling to joe student on the low end and starched execs on the high end.

Sony is selling to the idle children of those execs.

Handsring was with us, but is starting to move away with the release of the Edge, and that disgusting clip-on for SB mods.

Like the Pilgrims, we must pull up our stakes and leave this land that no longer welcomes us. We must make the pilgrimage to the new Promised Land. The land of HandEra. A land where women are women, and men aren't afraid to carry around a Palm III form factor if its loaded with the kick-*** goodies we all demand.

Can I get an "Amen"? :-)
    Last edited by dshorter; 05/07/2001 at 03:04 PM.
    Ah yes, the HandEra 330. An industrial design that only a puritan could love.

Your comments are interesting because the only people that will ever buy the HandEra are early-adopters. It is such a dead-end design that it will never make it to the mainstream (that ought to get a reaction ).
    Last edited by bradhaak; 05/07/2001 at 06:27 PM.
    Yup, yup... sure go on and slam my new favorite pimple-faced (literally) PDA. It's true that its not the prettiest thing in the world. I will no doubt be using a toothbrush to clean gunk out of that chrome-grill thing around the buttons after a few weeks of use. But that's a small price to pay for everything I've always wanted in a handheld.

Besides it mathces my 1977 Radio Shack table radio!!

"Luke, resist the seductive call of the 'thin' side....."
    WEll, you don't need a 64mb SD card as much for an m505 fat_man. Because the clie plays mp3's which eat more memory. Really i suppose its a tradeoff, 16bit color for mp3's and a higher resolution, and vice versa. AND WHAT IS IT WITH THIS BOARD? I POST ONE GOOD FLAME AND ITS DELETED?!!!
  12.    #12  
    WEll, you don't need a 64mb SD card as much for an m505 fat_man. Because the clie plays mp3's which eat more memory.
    Wait a minute, that makes absolutely no sense .

So without the 64mb card, the m505 has 8MB and the Clie has MB. You probably don't want to use the internal ram to play MP3's that's true, but that's a feature that the m505 does not have to begin with. So what's the point of your argument?

What the Clie does allow you to do is to have options that are not available in the m505.

1. You can have that option when you go on your next business or leisure trip, you could load some of your favorite songs onto a memory stick and listen to it on the plane. How many times do we get on a plane, half hour into the trip, and thinking "Man, I wish I have something to listen to!!" For those of you that routinely carry walkman/MP3 players onto a plane with you, that's great, but that's also another additional piece of equipment.

2. You can load pictures of you family and kids onto a memory stick and you have a photo album that's 320x320 in resolution to show your friends that you are visiting.

3. On a family trip, if you own a Sony memory stick compatible digital camera, you could take pictures on a memory stick, view the pictures on the Clie, and make your scrapbook right there during the trip instead of waiting to view the pictures at home.

All you need is your Clie, palm's motto is to keep it simple...and how simple is that?

AND WHAT IS IT WITH THIS BOARD? I POST ONE GOOD FLAME AND ITS DELETED?!!!
    I don't know what's the nature of the flame, but I bet it was pretty funny!!
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 05/07/2001 at 10:56 PM.
    Fat's
    FatMan, you can do all those things on any Visor -- not as nicely as the Clie, and not that much cheaper, but it's possible. Buy an MP3 module and load up tunes, use FireViewer/SplashPhoto whatever for 160x160 (unfortunately) images, and a MemPlug or CF adapter to interface with a digicam. Of course that's two modules you need, but I'm really just convincing myself of reasons not to "invest" another $500 in a Clie.
    Let's not get sidetracked by secondary issues such as mp3 capability. I wouldn't want to put my handheld through the kind of day an mp3 player goes through anyway.
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
  15.    #15  
    Let's not get sidetracked by secondary issues
    But those are exactly the issues!! The way I see it...if you are paying top $$ for top-of-the-line PDA, you would expect that PDA to do a whole a lot more than just organize your schedule. Why would you pay $450-$500 for an m505 or Clie to have the same functions of a $150 m100/visor solo? What's the point of that? If I am going to shell out half a grand on a PDA, it had better do more than just an electronic organizer.

That's what we all expect right? A top-of-the-line models should have features and abilities that base models don't:

1. a bright color screen
    2. form-factor
    3. rechargable batteries
    4. extra memory
    5. increase resolution
    6. MP3 playback
    7. multi-media capablities
    8. expansion capabilities
    9. soft graffi area
    10. take digital pictures
    11. access the internet

...And so much...much...more!!

These "secondary issues" are important.
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 05/08/2001 at 02:54 PM.
    Fat's
    From FAT_MAN:

1. a bright color screen
    2. form-factor
    3. rechargable batteries
    4. extra memory
    5. increase resolution
    6. MP3 playback
    7. multi-media capablities
    8. expansion capabilities
    9. soft graffi area
    10. take digital pictures
    11. access the internet

I guess secondary is in the eye of beholder. Let's start with the feature I mentioned in my previous post, mp3 capability. I've got access at home, in the car and at work, so pulling out my handheld to listen would just be a duplication of effort, not to mention subject it to unneccasary handling.

I have about 300K of GAMES ALONE on my VPL, so I know how to have fun. However, the "black grid" on all the sub-CLIE models right now would drive me crazy when I'm actually doing work on it. The next thing I spend $500 for is going to be a new reciever though, not the CLIE.

Your points #2,3,4,5,7,8,9, and 11 are all satisfied by the most bodacius HandEra right now, and I don't mind the Palm III form factor in exchange for the features. (Btw, even though the CLIE's dimensions are different from the PIII form factor, the total volume is very close to it)

Points 6 and 10 are sure to be soon to come via the CF or SD slots.

To that add the thumbwheel, voice recording, 8 fonts, real backlight.... WHOA MAN!!

SO until handera does color and mp3, I won't be doing it either. But you guys are still cool....
    How come no one ever mentions any of the "other" pdas?

http://www.agendacomputing.com/produ...nda_linux.html

and there is another one that looks like a squashed G4 mac tower. I can't think of the name of it though.
  18.    #18  
    Let's start with the feature I mentioned in my previous post, mp3 capability. I've got access at home, in the car and at work, so pulling out my handheld to listen would just be a duplication of effort, not to mention subject it to unneccasary handling.
    Hey no problem there, so you have MP3 support at home, car, and office, that's great. But I'm talking about having the option to play MP3's. What if you are not at home, car, or work? What if you're in a coffee shop, on the plane, in the library, on a bus...rather than remembering to bring an MP3 player along (more unnecessary handling) all you have to do is to pop in a memory stick. Again, you have the option.

...the "black grid" on all the sub-CLIE models right now would drive me crazy when I'm actually doing work on it.
    The "black grid" or the lack of it is one of the main features that attracted me to the Clie. Because of the enhanced resolution, with smaller pixels, the black grid is virtually gone, which makes viewing the screen a lot easier. Also the combination of color and increase resolution makes reading text and viewing photos that much more easier.

Your points #2,3,4,5,7,8,9, and 11 are all satisfied by the most bodacius HandEra
    I have nothing against HandEra, it's a great unit, with very impressive innovations. I love the increase resolution and the virtual graffi area. However, the only thing that it lack is color. The HandEra is perfect for the hard-core pda users out there. But like I said before, I want my next PDA to be more than just an organizer. I want to use it as a music player, a photo scrape book...and maybe a game or two for those boring plane ride or boring conferences.
    Fat's
    Everybody keeps praising the HandEra, but keep one thing in mind. Everything that they are doing is strictly proprietary. It will not be used given back to Palm so that other licencess can use it in the furture. What this means is that a developer with limited resources is going to support the hi-res scheme the Sony is using. This is because it (or something similar) will be used in future versions of the Palm OS. The HandEra implementation is a small market unit with dead-end (but still very cool)features.

Anybody remember Beta format videotapes?

How about Amiga computers?

The coolest feature set doesn't always win.

BTW - If hi-res is all that you are interested in. The Sony has 25% more pixels than the HandEra and doesn't have to run legacy games in a miniature window.
    BH -

HandEra's technology is not proprietary:

Quoting Mike Walter, Founder, Vice President, Software Development, HandEra

"I think our CEO was misquoted. We are more than willing to license our technology back to Palm. Our CEO was trying to say that Palm does not get the technology simply because we are a Palm licensee. "

http://www.palmstation.com/view_arti...80&flat_mode=1

A question about the CLIE btw.. the original version had a smaller screen than most palm and h'spring devices. Are the measurements the same for the new CLIE?

Don't get me wrong; I think the palm community NEEDS a device like the new CLIE, but like the "pilgrim" said earlier, it falls into the luxury/diversion category.

It's great for all of us that one OS can fit so many niches. As for me personally, I prefer my PalmOS served bloody rare on a monochrome plate (for now) with all the fixins....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast