Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Slot_Machine
    BH -

HandEra's technology is not proprietary:

Quoting Mike Walter, Founder, Vice President, Software Development, HandEra

"I think our CEO was misquoted. We are more than willing to license our technology back to Palm. Our CEO was trying to say that Palm does not get the technology simply because we are a Palm licensee. "
    This is some serious double-talk. There is no mention that there is actually any interest by either party to negotiate a technology license. In this industry anyone will license anything to anyone. The only question is how much it will cost. the point is Palm gets Sony's implementation which appears to be superior for free.

Let's see, superior for free vs. inferior for some unknown price. This doesn't sound like too tough of a decision.
    Last edited by bradhaak; 05/08/2001 at 06:21 PM.
    Brad,

What could possibly be more proprietary than a Memory Stick? "Memory Stick??" The full name for this technology is actually "Memory STICK it to you", as in this is the latest in a long line of technology that Sony has tried to force on consumers and other manufacturers. You yourself mentioned BetaMax.

The same old Sony song

Maybe it should be called Memory "Schtick" since its such a joke. Except that the joke is on people who invest in the platform, only to have Sony walk away from it when other manufacturers refuse to play with them. Who else uses the Memory Schtick? Only other Sony products. I will be floored if the memory stick technology was part of Sony's agreement with Palm.

HE: Industry friendly

Meanwhile the HE 330 sports two very NON-proprietary technologies in the CF and SD/MMC slots. You can buy a CF modem today. Sony is talking about Memory Stick I/O next year. What's that I smell in the air at Sony? Vapor? Or something worse?

There's niche, and then there's NICHE

Yes, the Handera will probably be a niche product. But I submit to you that the CLIE will be even more of niche product. It's features and pricepoint are out of sync. At $500, just to get started, its really competing against PPC's. The design is very cool and appealing to consumers (including me). But there isn't a mass of consumers out there that will pay that much for this featureset, when all but the resolution can be had for a lower price elsewhere. The hip design does not exactly fit the corporate image, so there will be few corporate buyers. HE on the other hand will be INHALED by corporate buyers, and that momentum will spill over into emloyees' ideas about what their personal PDA should do.

Alas, I new him well....

Add the CLIE to the list of "Sony Exclusives" that have flamed out over the years. I'm going to put this list into a ThinkDB database and store it on a CF card in the very NON-Proprietary CF slot on my HE330.
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
    ... What's that I smell in the air at Sony? Vapor? Or something worse?
    Your whole post is full of good riffs, but I esp. liked the above. (Hope it doesn't say something about me.)
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    Brad,

What could possibly be more proprietary than a Memory Stick?...
    Yes, but the point made was that Palm is still running the handheld show (less and less, but there still top dog), and they have to decide which resolution to run with. They'll be able to use Sony's for free (which has a higher resolution than HE's, plus it's implemented with the ability to evenly quarter the resolution and stick with compatibility), or they can choose a resolution that'd be harder to implement / offers less compatibility with existing setups / will undoubtedly cost $$$. The memory stick technology would cost money, but the OS modifications to get memory stick to work are free. Same with springboard technology. Resolution is purely an OS modification, and as such goes back to Palm in its entirety for free.

Granted, I haven't read the actual licensing agreements, this is just how I understand the situation from what I've read here.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  5.    #25  
    Maybe it should be called Memory "Schtick" since its such a joke. Except that the joke is on people who invest in the platform, only to have Sony walk away from it when other manufacturers refuse to play with them. Who else uses the Memory Schtick? Only other Sony products. I will be floored if the memory stick technology was part of Sony's agreement with Palm.
    Hey Slot_Machine,

Since you're talking about support, let me ask you a question. Who's going to support HandEra?

I think Brad made a good point when he said that Palm's going with Sony's modifications to their OS. Which means that the properties (high resolution, multi-media, ect) of the Clie will be going back to Palm's next generation OS and handhelds much like the 16-bit color from Handspring is incorporated into the m505.

Palm will develope it's future OS and handheld in the direction of the Clie and the Visors. Where does that leave HandEra? Since HandEra sort of branched out by themselves, they have set a course with their 330 (virtual graffi, screen resolution, etc..) that Palm is not following, and therefore questionable future support. I think Brad called it "dead-end".

I believe that the Sony Clie is here to stay, the memory stick is here to stay too. So what if no-one else supports it, I don't think Sony cares. They are so diverse with their electronics that if only they alone use the memory stick there will be enough diversity to satisfy most people.

The question of the memory stick costing like $20 more than the other memory card is kinda over-rated, I mean if you are will to pay $450-$500 on a handheld...
    Fat's
    Isn't the virtual graffiti area already on the future feature list for Palm OS? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.... Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Originally posted by sdoersam
    Isn't the virtual graffiti area already on the future feature list for Palm OS? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.... Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Could be, although I haven't heard that.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  8. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by sdoersam
    Yeah, I remember reading in an article a while back that some Palm exec mentioned maybe supporting a software graffiti and 'different' resolutions in PalmOS 5.0...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12