Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Free from the random restarts. Free from the freezes and crashes. Free from the fast dying battery and long connection time connecting to my cars bluetooth....

I have just ordered a Blackberry Curve. Thank you all for all your help these past couple of years. Im gonna miss the Treo (but not its problems)
    Good for you. With the reset and freeze issues, it must feel good.
    actually, i don't think you'll miss the Treo one bit.

enjoy the Blackberry, hope it works out for you.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Good luck with your new purchase.

I tried BlackBerries for a year. I did miss the Treo.

Came back happily.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Why do people thing that the BB is crash-free? I've crashed 2 of them to the point where I had to do full software wipe and reload. I've had the 8700 crash on me several times in the middle of a call.

And I just had to upgrade the wife's Pearl this weekend because the network was hosed and a reset didn't clear it.

More then happy to stick to my Treo.
    People perceive the BB to be more stable for an email solution.

The BB I have had have crashed, but not as much as Palm OS.

I'd say about on par with WM5.
    the bb crashes on badly written third party apps, but it rarely crashes on me.
    Just like my treo 680.

the multimedia app, seems to be quite buggy if you dont have the file just right.

the bb does takes forever to re-boot though. keep that in mind if you want test apps. almost every app you un-install (they call it delete) needs you to reboot your device.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    once again, maybe myself, spouse, and colleagues are some of the more fortunate ones, of the blackberry's i've owned only the Pearl has had to be completely reset (was an emergent reason). i've never had my device crash on me, my spouse has carried three different Blackberries and not any of them ever needed resetting or did they crash, and yet to hear from my colleagues at work that their Blackberry devices are needing to be reset or crashing on them. now, in ALL truth, including the Treos that i owned in the past, and theirs, ALL would reset, crash and the like.

blackberry devices may crash, might need to be reset/wiped, but in NO WAY do they have the constant resetting, crashing, hanging-up, freezing problems that you read about the Treos having (either wm or palm). no way. i've owned most all of the Treos and they all would screw up in the same way, and some having these types of problems more than once daily (700w).

lets be fair, Blackberry's aren't known to crash.
    While I agree BB aee not known for crashing, and that Palm OS resets like it's going out of style, the Treo 700wx on WM5 is very very stable.

I've never had to hard reset it, which is more than I can say about the BB and Palm OS devices I have owned.

Granted, poorly written will crash any system, but a plain jane Treo 700wx will rarely soft reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Granted, poorly written will crash any system, but a plain jane Treo 700wx will rarely soft reset.
    well, not sure about that...taken from our own TreoCentral forums (700wx users)

--had that error message -once- after a hard reset on its first reboot.

--Has your 700wx ever locked up like this?
    - On factory provided charger (included in box when new).
    - VZW
    - Steady green light (indicating fully charged)
    - No extra apps (ever) loaded other than the DST fix

Found with blank screen. Would not ring or accept calls. No button would wake up the screen. Unplugged it from the charger and the steady green light remained fully lit. Had been soft reset within 24 hours with no activity since, other than a few normal short calls. After soft reset, all appeard normal, once again.

--nothing that I can thinkwould interfere with answering the phone...I even did a hard reset and installed everything back on to see if that would work...no luck.

--do you think a hard reset and full reload of my software ill increase the stability of my 700wx ?

-After about a month of usage, my Sprint Treo 700wx is misbehaving. It freezes frequently, causing me to do a soft reset. I tried doing a hard restore, it helped some, but it still locks up every once in a while.

i think you get the message and i'm surely not going to continue on like some others. 3rd party apps or not, and perhaps more stable than other Treos in the line-up, the 750wx have their problems too.
    man, you make an awful Surur

No links to those odd quotes? Some appear to involved 3rd part apps, so how does that verify your claim?

I'm with Mikec on this one--out of the box a 700wx with no software installed is hardly susceptible to crashing, if it does, there could have been a flashing problem when the phone was provisioned in the factory e.g. it should be returned.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    man, you make an awful Surur
    Who's got the screen wipes?? Half a cup of tea wasted!

I'm with Mikec on this one--out of the box a 700wx with no software installed is hardly susceptible to crashing
    The only resets I've had on my 680 have been due to (or at least associated with) third party software, often only when first installed (upgrade to the latest version of Google Maps being the most recent). As it should be; resets on a device with only manufacturer supplied applications installed is pretty poor IMO.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Going on 4 Months now with my BB8800.

I really like the device. The only thing I really miss from Palm is Agendus from Iambic software.

DA was replaced by Berry411.
    Bluetooth has been awesome.
    Love having the built in GPS (if it was not for this I would upgrade to an 8300).
    Don't miss the camera.
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    that Palm OS resets like it's going out of style,
    That's a base canard! Just because most of the posts on TC are from people who can't figure out how to configure a stable device does NOT mean that frequent crashes is normal behavior. I've got a ton of software on my 700P and it doesn't reset, or need a reset, more than about once a month. And I've never done a hard reset in the 6 or 8 months I've owned it.

I had to spend some time finding a suite of applications that happily coexisted with each other, but once that was done I couldn't be more satisfied with the stability.

Sure, throw 20 or 30 apps on with no rhyme nor reason and there's a good chance a couple of them are going to step on each other and cause frequent crashes. But, and I'm sorry if I offend anyone, doing that is just idiotic. I installed apps 1 or 2 at a time. When the Treo began crashing after a new install, I found another app that served the purpose, and tried again.

The BB may be more stable, but I suspect that's at least in part because there isn't very much software available for it, so there's little opportunity for the kind of conflicts people encounter on the Treo. But there's also far less flexility, customization, and capability than can be found on the Palm platform.

I'm not willing to give up the functionality I've got with my customized Treo, but I hope the Curve makes the OP happy.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    alright guys... I feel like I was in a battered relationship but even though it was a bad experience, I think I will come back to Palm...

I have been playing with my BB Curve all day today but theres somethings that im not happy with:

1) It doesnt sync my calendars all day events. In my line of work, I need those with me.

2) Any contact that has 2 mobile numbers - it only transfers one mobile number to the phone.

Now since I got the Curve for free from AT&T. Im debating if I should return it and get a 680 instead. What do u guys recommend?
    What I did was just enter the 2nd mobile number as a pager or work 2, but I know it's mobile. Almost no one I know uses pagers anymore but use their cell phones as one used to use pagers, OR many mobile phones are the 2nd work number for a lot of people.

I didn't try calender sync since I just enter everything directly on the device alone, so unfortunately I know nothing about working around that problem. Maybe someone else can help you.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    well, not sure about that...taken from our own TreoCentral forums (700wx users)

--had that error message -once- after a hard reset on its first reboot.

--Has your 700wx ever locked up like this?
    - On factory provided charger (included in box when new).
    - VZW
    - Steady green light (indicating fully charged)
    - No extra apps (ever) loaded other than the DST fix

Found with blank screen. Would not ring or accept calls. No button would wake up the screen. Unplugged it from the charger and the steady green light remained fully lit. Had been soft reset within 24 hours with no activity since, other than a few normal short calls. After soft reset, all appeard normal, once again.

--nothing that I can thinkwould interfere with answering the phone...I even did a hard reset and installed everything back on to see if that would work...no luck.

--do you think a hard reset and full reload of my software ill increase the stability of my 700wx ?

-After about a month of usage, my Sprint Treo 700wx is misbehaving. It freezes frequently, causing me to do a soft reset. I tried doing a hard restore, it helped some, but it still locks up every once in a while.

i think you get the message and i'm surely not going to continue on like some others. 3rd party apps or not, and perhaps more stable than other Treos in the line-up, the 750wx have their problems too.
    Trying to bring down the WX lol lol .....how sad oalvarez.
    Pick on the W,750,6700 or some ipaqs...you then can backup your statements.
    no Sling, i don't think that is what i was trying to do. but if you were better able to follow along you'd see that my post was in reply to some poster saying that the 700wx rarely would reset. as you can see, 700wx users have their problems as well.

why i'm wasting my time responding to you is sad.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD76 View Post
    Free from the random restarts. Free from the freezes and crashes. Free from the fast dying battery and long connection time connecting to my cars bluetooth....
    Have to say that's not been my experience with my Palm Treo 650 at all. It's the most stable phone I've ever owned.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    no Sling, i don't think that is what i was trying to do. but if you were better able to follow along you'd see that my post was in reply to some poster saying that the 700wx rarely would reset. as you can see, 700wx users have their problems as well.

why I,m wasting my time responding to you is sad.
    because you are sad oops did I over step
    hmm your very cool though lol