1.    #1  
    For physicians, med students, and other medical personnels, there is a good review at PDAMD, http://www.pdamd.com/reviews/palm505.xml.

One of the biggest needs that medical PDA users want in a handheld is memory. The m505, m500, HandEra, and Clie seem ideal because for the huge amount of external memory that can be added to these units. However, this article warns that current popular medical reference books are not compatible with the m505!!

Apparently, the reader of these reference books fail to recognize it's databases that are stored in the external memory cards. Skyscape reference books, ePocrates, and tealinfo have failed in the m505 (unclear if handheldmed references work). I have emailed Skyscape, and they replied that they are currently working on a version of their book that are compatible with the SD card (not sure about the memory stick compatibilty. But don't expect the new versions for at least 2 to 3 months. This would mean that if you own a lot of medical references, you must wait for an SD compatible version.

This is very disappointing.

Handspring visors remain the only handhelds that allow seemless direct access to programs and databases store in external memory.

Just some info. for those med.students, residents, staff, and private physicians rushing to get m505.
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 05/05/2001 at 12:12 AM.
    Fat's
    Reading stuff of external mem. was not a priority for Palm until now. You can bet devs. will start ack. it in updates & new releases.
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by bkbk
    Reading stuff of external mem. was not a priority for Palm until now. You can bet devs. will start ack. it in updates & new releases.
    Yeah, I agree, but it's still disappointing that you first have to wait of the handheld to be released, then you have to wait longer for applications to update. Oh well, I guess that's technology...

Darn it... I thought that I can just buy the Sony and instantly switch from my platinum.

Although, there may be a chance that some of these medical programs and databases are compatible with the Sony, since the memory stick priority was present in the older Clie model. I have emailed Skyscape regarding this, and will keep you guys up-to-date.
    Fat's
  4.    #4  
    Apparently, people have developed solution to the access of program and data from the memory stick, with this program called "MSMount":

"MSMount allow you to access palm applications and read-only databases that are on the Memory Stick as if they are on the DRAM of Palm device. With this MSMount, an application that is not support Memory Stick can access to Memory Stick. You can move large databases (ex. dictionary) from DRAM of Palm device into Memory Stick and release memory for another usage."

http://www.geocities.com/nagamatu/MSMount/index-e.htm

The web-site later talked about errors and memory leaks, so I think this may not be a good program to investigate.

Sorry
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 05/05/2001 at 01:48 AM.
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    Apparently, people have developed solution to the access of program and data from the memory stick, with this program called "MSMount":
    The web-site later talked about errors and memory leaks, so I think this may not be a good program to investigate.

Sorry
    According to a lota Clie users, It's a great prog. I've tried it on the Clie n700 POSE, works fine. Apparently, the author of the prog. is a perfectionist, there has been about five upgrades in a week or something like that...

Since ROMs are considered warez and we are not supposted to talk about it or link to it here, some of you might want to do a little searching........
    According to Handheldmed, which I consider to be the best source of Palm Med references, their newest 5.0 reader can handle MMC/SD/CF and purportedly MS (according to some Clie users). The put out this release sometime last month I think.