Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 128
  1.    #1  
    I will be getting my new BB 8830 on Monday. Have been downloading software to meet my needs.

    I have done a search for the comparison and found a old one where the T650 was compared to the 7100 series (I believe)

    http://blog.perfectspace.com/2005/11...oogle-results/

    I would hope that some TC users would do a review, tell us what software ships with the phone etc. Tell us some about the navigation too.

    I am on the phone now with Sprint waiting for them to respond (asking about Tele Nav)

    The Treo 650 won the first round with the 7100 (I guess the keyboard left some to be desired)
  2. #2  
    A decent C|NET review of the Verizon 8830 is here.

    I can't help too much since I haven't bought one yet, but lately have been doing a detailed comparison between the Treo, the 8800/8830 and Curve. It's a hard pill to swallow, but after 8 years with Palm?Handspring products and the last 6 months of pathetic 700p support, I'm very tempted to give up on Palm and go to BB.

    The CDMA+GSM 8830 is very tempting so you wouldn't have to carry two devices when out of the country. My int'l travel has slowed down quite a bit, so it's not as important as it used to be. Still, either the 88x0 or Curve is smaller, thinner, and lighter than any of the Palms out there.

    I'd be interested to see what sw you are downloading - especially if you are replacing 3rd party Palm app functions.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  3. #3  
    Until I can get tangible evidence on any interesting device my self, they have to stop Bonnie from doing the reviews at CNET...nothing against her personally but her hands are small which isn't good for scale reference to the size of the device(i.e. she makes the device look big). This scale difference is only good in adult porn where the illusion of a big device is
    at&t iPhone3G
  4. #4  
    There really is no substitute for the real thing, is there?

    Applies to phones too-until I got an E62, didn't know how mushy the keys were. Hate it compared to the 700.
    Last edited by tomvb2000; 07/07/2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: sp
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    There really is no substitute for the real thing, is there?

    Applies to phones too-until I got an E62, didn't know how mushy the keys were. Hate it compared to the 700.
    No...lol.
    at&t iPhone3G
  6. #6  
    Been a while. Good to see all of you. Anyway, I ordered a Sprint 8830 for my wife on Thursday, July 5th and received it the next day. I haven't really had a chance to get to know indepth but, from the small amount of time I have had with it, I am impressed.

    I have it as a third phone as my wife and I still have our Treos and we wanted a World phone. Activation was somewhat difficult as none of the techs at the time had actually worked with one. The software is intuitive and even though we have had Treos since the 300 and before that, the Kyo PDQ & 6035, she has really taken to it. The fit and finish is superb.

    I will give a more detailed update (apps, etc.) later. So far, a great device.
    Ibrahim B.

    Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
  7. #7  
    I will never buy a phone I need to purchase a seperate data plan for the phone to work.. Don't care how good the phone is...

    Putting internet on it is different.. I don't want a phone I have to pay extra just to use the basic features of the phone... So I guess I am stuck to the WM smart phones for now...

    Or a Palm but I like the WM stuff more..
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    I will never buy a phone I need to purchase a seperate data plan for the phone to work.. Don't care how good the phone is...

    Putting internet on it is different.. I don't want a phone I have to pay extra just to use the basic features of the phone... So I guess I am stuck to the WM smart phones for now...

    Or a Palm but I like the WM stuff more..
    You do not have to do that. You don't pay extra to use the basic features. You do, however, have to be careful of which plan you take. My plan is an older high end plan 2500 min, 3 line, unlimited everything grandfathered. From what I have seen so far, Sprint will make changes to plans with the 8830 to encourage more usage. Everyone has different needs. For us, we travel a lot internationally and the 8830 by being totally unlocked eliminates buying another device. We kept our Treos.

    So far, this is a sweet device. No camera but that's fine as I'm a fed. Calling/sms where ever is great. More to come.
    Ibrahim B.

    Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by oneklassy1 View Post
    I haven't really had a chance to get to know indepth but, from the small amount of time I have had with it, I am impressed.

    I have it as a third phone as my wife and I still have our Treos and we wanted a World phone.

    I will give a more detailed update (apps, etc.) later. So far, a great device.
    Going thru touchscreen withdrawal yet or do you go back to the Treo for a "fix"? That's one thing I'm not sure I can get used to after having a Palm for so long. Most of my coworkers have BBs and they swear the jog dial or trackball helps them get around quickly, so may be I can get used to it too.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  10. #10  
    I do like the Treos but I must admit, the 8830 trackball is very, very nice. It is very easy to love. The 8830 is great so far but it will not totally replace or top the Treo as a Treo killer imho. I do wish the Treos had wifi. The 8830 does not have wifi either. The big edge the Sprint BB 8830 has so far is the world calling ability, totally unlocked, evdo, and a great form factor just to name a few. The modem works great as well.

    It comes with a sim card but if you are travelling abroad, just switch to unlock, drop in another sim card and you are set. The booklet cleverly does not expound on that capability as they want you to use Sprint's partners when you travel. That can get very expensive. You can select for it to automatically find a network but dropping in a card may be best. Then, when you are in Sprint coverage again switch it back. That is a great feature. We travel to Indonesia frequently and a Sprint Treo is useless.

    So far, the 8830 is nice, very nice.
    Ibrahim B.

    Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
  11. #11  
    you will most definitely get used to the jog wheel. in soon time it will become second nature for you. yes, it doesn't have a touchscreen but it also isn't as big and heavy as what you're used to.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  12. porcaccio's Avatar
    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #12  
    Doesn't best that sweet iphone, though, does it? I had one for a week, but am returning mine. I can't stomach giving ATT 75 bucks a month, regardless of how sweet the device is.
  13. #13  
    of course you can get used to both the jog and pearl (hey At times on my treo i try to use the center button like it was a pearl), but it doesnt make it faster.

    the pearl is faster than the jog, but with the treo, on the app screen, you can press the first letter of the app you want and it will jump to the first app with that letter.

    with the tro, when you on a long web page you can click the scroll bar and scroll down. with the pearl and the jog it takes longer. with the pearl if you arent moving the ball straight down, you might scroll up.

    with the pearl, picking a link in a list of a bunch of links isnt quite as fast as it should be. my 8830 may be too sensitive or not sensitive enuf.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  14. #14  
    ONEKLASSY1,

    More info on your plan specifically with your Blackberry now added. I too am on an old grandfathered plan with 2 Treo 700wx's.

    Thinking about the 8830 to replace the 700's but dont want to spend much more than I already do.
  15. #15  
    After it arrives,give us an update as to how you like your new blackberry, morningstar.

    Like I've said, I will be making the switch at some point as well, so I'd love to hear what your experiences have been coming from a treo.

    The only thing I'm wishing it had is a camera, like the curve. Believe me, if sprint had the curve which ran evdo and sported a 1.3 mp camera, I'd be in the car headed to the store immediately. Even still, the 8830 is a sweet device, and I'm checking it out myself.

    Enjoy your new blackberry!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by porcaccio View Post
    Doesn't best that sweet iphone, though, does it? I had one for a week, but am returning mine. I can't stomach giving ATT 75 bucks a month, regardless of how sweet the device is.
    Sure, the iPhone screen size, resolution, and especially UI is very impressive but the main deal breakers for me are lack of keyboard, EDGE, push e-mail, rd-party apps and A2DP. I'm sure Apple will fix what they can in sw to make it as stable as it needs to be for consumers, but otherwise the next gen phone will likely be more interesting.

    I wonder if someone will come out with a clip-on keyboard? If you could take attach a 700p keyboard to the bottom, you wouldn't lose too much screen real estate.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    The only thing I'm wishing it had is a camera, like the curve. Believe me, if sprint had the curve which ran evdo and sported a 1.3 mp camera, I'd be in the car headed to the store immediately. Even still, the 8830 is a sweet device, and I'm checking it out myself.

    Enjoy your new blackberry!
    The Curve actually as a 2.0M camera, so it's even better than the 7xx Treo in that regard.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jschles View Post
    ONEKLASSY1,

    More info on your plan specifically with your Blackberry now added. I too am on an old grandfathered plan with 2 Treo 700wx's.

    Thinking about the 8830 to replace the 700's but dont want to spend much more than I already do.
    Hi jschles,

    You're in good shape. If you qualify for the $150.00 upgrade, you will get that plus another $100 off instantly plus a mail-in $100. You will have to call customer solutions which is above the regular reps because they have the power to grant the upgrade and the rebates. Make sure that esn's of your Treos are correct because the rebate eligibility clock starts when your Treo is activated. If you had a number change, your esn date will not be correct so make sure of the dates when you call customer solutions. I will pm you more info.
    Ibrahim B.

    Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    After it arrives,give us an update as to how you like your new blackberry, morningstar.

    Like I've said, I will be making the switch at some point as well, so I'd love to hear what your experiences have been coming from a treo.

    The only thing I'm wishing it had is a camera, like the curve. Believe me, if sprint had the curve which ran evdo and sported a 1.3 mp camera, I'd be in the car headed to the store immediately. Even still, the 8830 is a sweet device, and I'm checking it out myself.

    Enjoy your new blackberry!
    My BB 8830 got misdirected to a summer address, should have it tomorrow!. My 700p post MR has rebooted 10-15 time today. I called my local Sprint store and they have 2 700p's in stock but my friend said he would try to exchange it for the 755p. End result perfect timing. My wife get's the 755 (replaces her 650) and I get the BB. I have already ordered the chargers, one battery and the travel charger. I have downloaded about 15 programs to replace the ones I use on the Treo. So far I am impressed. I wonder does Palm see the hand writing on the wall yet.

    I have seen in researching the BB's that later this year they probably will release a wifi version and also a camera.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    After it arrives,give us an update as to how you like your new blackberry, morningstar.

    Like I've said, I will be making the switch at some point as well, so I'd love to hear what your experiences have been coming from a treo.

    The only thing I'm wishing it had is a camera, like the curve. Believe me, if sprint had the curve which ran evdo and sported a 1.3 mp camera, I'd be in the car headed to the store immediately. Even still, the 8830 is a sweet device, and I'm checking it out myself.

    Enjoy your new blackberry!
    That is what I am awaiting...the possability of the Curve coming to Sprint and I am one foot on a banana peal away from jumping ship. I think the 8830 extra size on the Curve could include the combo of EVDO radio and SIM card, don't quote me. I wonder if they could do a world phone with the Curve?
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions