Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble View Post
    I have 29 more days to see if I can fall in love with the BB’s stability and standardization or if Palm gets its act together.
    You might as well keep the BB if you seriously think Palm can get anything together in 29 days.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Hope springs eternal. But, Palm will have to fix more than the network connecivity problem. The reason we all wanted the MR was because how unstable the 700P was. Going back to where we were won't work for me any longer.
    hi folks,

i got my 8830 on Friday and i've spent quiet abit of time with it. the best comparison i can give is that its a PC vs a Mac. the GUI is very PC-ish while the Palm is very Mac-ish. Its a matter of preference---and i'd have to gvie the thumbs up to Palm in this regard.

However, the 8830 shines in these ways over the palm:

form factor- while a little wider, its thinner and lighter than the 700p
    it works- not a single drop, hang, lag, etc. isn't that reason enough to switch now?!!
    on/off- you can turn the damn thing off if you'd like. imagine that, palm!

...did I mention that it works likes its supposed to?

i'll give a more thorough report in a week or two. but for now, i have no regrets at all for switching. i have the biggest smile on my face these last few days.

bob
    First off, the impressions here have been extremely helpful.

I just recently purchased the Treo 680, and although I've largely been satisfied with it, I was definitely tempted by the BB 8300.

Having used the Treo for a week or so, I'm starting to get into a routine - for example, using DateBk6 as my PIM replacement, using ListPro to management everyday chores like shopping lists and whatnot, and using my IMAP e-mail accounts. I also watch the occasional TV episode, which is encoded in DIVX, and I do lots of SMSing. In terms of e-mails, I usually only receive about 10 per day, so it's definitely not heavy use, and in terms of phone calls, maybe 15-20 minutes per day - so light use.

How are the PIM functions of the BB? One of my major frustrations is the lack of a proper "Today" screen - all of the third-party apps for Palm have been too cluttered.

Does anyone use it mainly for PIM functions, and if so, how does it compare to Palm? I imagine that the Treo is far more flexible, which is why I ultimately decided on it, but I'd like to hear what others have to say after actual use.

Many thanks,

Ash
    Well this is a subject that has opened a lot of thoughts, well first of all I was/am a Treo lover but the crashing & resetting with both the Treo700wx and the Treo700p, my wife had the 700p, just got ridiculous, and that is after the so-called MR updates to both devices. I waited and waited for the device to work as promise but to no avail. I own a landscaping company and I need my phone/pda to work at ALL times and I shouldn’t have to make/hack the Treo to help it to be usable. One day here in sunny 102 degree weather in Jacksonville Florida, after taking care of a property an important client called and my phone locked up as we were talking, I had to reset the Treo again, I only use the phone twice for maybe 20 minutes combine and looked at my calendar for the day and it crashed! I have about 20 to 30 clients per day in my calendar and about 600 contacts, Verizon says and here is their fix, do a hard reset, take out what I don’t need because the device can’t handle it. So logic kicked in my little brain, and I said to myself, “self, what device has been a standard for most professionals for years, BlackBerry! Therefore, I did my research briefly and I went to Verizon and told them my issues and they agreed that I’m making an excellent choice, they gave the phone free of charge, granted I first purchased the original Treo700w January 5, 2006, the first day it hit the stores, I’ve had 3 replacement phones and one upgrade to the Treo700wx March 2007 at NO COST, so getting the BlackBerry 8830 fair to me, and yes I know the Treo cost more, Why? I’ll never know but the 8830 has NEVER let me down or crashed or had to do a reset in two weeks which is almost unbelievable. It was common to do a reset every morning so I could have a decent day with the Treo. I feel cheated and foolish that I kept believing they were going to fix all the ailments with the Treo. When they do they will maybe, probably catch up to the BlackBerry. The latest upgrades were a joke. Now since I got that off my chest the comparisons. Are you serious, there is No comparison.

Emails: which includes Hotmail, AOL, yahoo, Gmail and Bellsouth/AT&T works seamlessly, with no work arounds, they just work.

Phone: Sound quality excellent, lets not even mention speaker phone quality.

Workmanship: The screen is better brighter, no hint of yellow. The screen automatically adjust to the brightness of it environment, it turns down the brightness in low light which is great for looking at it early morning because I do use it as an alarm clock, Treo alarm issues still unresolved. Its thinner, lighter and I thought I would have a difficult time adjusting from touch screen to the BALL, no problems, it working. The USB charger is also great, no need to have several preparatory connections it works with my stereo Bluetooth charger (Motorola).

Battery: Comes with a high output battery that last all day, I bought the Seidio 3200mAh Ultra Extended Battery for Treo 700p, 700w|wx for $54.95. I have a battery that is just as good that I didn’t have to buy!

Software: Software is slim pickings for the 8830 but they are good software, no junk software. I have bought a few so far and it was worth it. Pocket Express, Opera Mini 4 (free), etc. the developer put out a more polished software for BB (BlackBerry). The GPS is awesome, what a treat with Maps, no need for Google Maps or Live but they all work with the GPS built in. Great for a landscaper, addresses and directions are must for me.

I will have more later.
    Last edited by mrjerome; 08/18/2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sprint Kyocera QCP 6035 -> T-Mobile Motorola V600 -> T-Mobile PocketPC -> T-Mobile HP6315 -> T-Mobile BlackBerry 7100t -> T-Mobile Treo 600 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> Verizon Treo 650 -> Treo700w -> Treo 700wx/Treo700p -> BlackBerry 8830
    More later?? I think you said it all! Great review from someone who needs a depenable BUSINESS TOOL - not a tweakable hobby. IMO, that's what many of these PDA's are. Don't get me wrong, I like to tweak and play around with things too - but at the end of that honeymoon period with a new device I still need a reliable business tool for calls and email.

Heading back to a Sprint store to play with the 8830 again!
    Last edited by bubbatex; 08/16/2007 at 09:56 AM.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    More later?? I think you said it all! Great review from someone who needs a depenable BUSINESS TOOL - not a tweakable hobby. IMO, that's what many of these PDA's are. Don't get me wrong, I like to tweak and play around with things too - but at the end of that honeymoon period with a new device I still need a reliable business tool for calls and email.

Heading back to a Sprint store to play with the 8830 again!
    Tweakable hobby is a great way of putting it ending with a reliable device. Take the plundge Tex...
    at&t iPhone3G
    As a long time Palm user, I have made the switch to the BB Curve. I could not be more happy. This device is superior to the treo in every way. Most importantly, Everything works flawlessly with no resets all the "@#&#" time and amazing battery life.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    It was this same sentiment that sent me to the local Verizon Wireless store (after speaking at length with customer support) to get my BlackBerry 8830... so far I am happy with the device.

One interesting thing I've found, some setup actually "seems" difficult because it is so much easier. You don't need all of the archaic information to set up the basics. E-mail just works, the phone just works. If everything continues this way, I will continue to use my 8830 and never look back.

I have grown tired of "working" on or with my "smart" phone to get it to do the basics well and consistently. I am more than willing to give up the flexibility of the Palm platform for stability and ease of use.
    Palm IIIc -> VZW Treo600 -> VZW Treo650 - VZW Treo700p -> VZW BB8830
    I have both a 700P and an 8830 (blackberry for work only). I haven't invested a lot of time into learning the nuances of the blackberry os, so I thought I'd just ask if anyone has found a way to force roaming on the 8830 (from Sprint to Verizon).

Thanks...
    Palm Personal => V => Vx (w/OmniSky) => m505 => Treo 300 => 600 => 650 (free of charge) => 700P (free of charge again!)
    yep, ya gotta love the simplicity, ease of use, and dependability of the BlackBerry devices. they really do "just work."
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    yep, ya gotta love the simplicity, ease of use, and dependability of the BlackBerry devices. they really do "just work."
    as apposed to Palm "Just resets"
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjerome View Post
    Well this is a subject that has opened a lot of thoughts, well first of all I was/am a Treo lover but the crashing & resetting with both the Treo700wx and the Treo700p...
    Not to disparage the BB at all as I think it's great at what it does: email and phone with basic PIM, but what on earth did you install on the 700wx to make it crash so frequently?

Out of the box, with just PIM and email (like Exchange) the WM Treos are rock solid and require no tweaking or modifications (sure you can do them and pretty soon it can easily become a hobby, but surely this is not a requirement). I think this is where people get in trouble with WM devices: there are so many ways to alter it performance, appearance and function e.g. Slingbox, remote-admin, games, etc that some can't resist the urge to fiddle.

It's not required but tempting. Next thing you know you have 20mb of software, reminding you every 3.5 minutes, with 2 chimes and a vibrate (but only between 8am and 7pm on weekdays), automatic weather updates with RSS notifications flashing on your today screen, which is skinned with a new flashy UI of your favorite TV show, lol.

OTOH, since you now have a BB with minimal 3rd party apps, it seems that those were not required on the Treo either. So I'm just trying to understand what went "wrong" in your case, not to persuade you as the BB seems like a perfect fit, but just for clarification.

...and for bubbatex, the Moto Q is probably the exception here : it's pretty slow and sluggish and has lots of quirks. If for just email and phone (no Exchange) then BB is probably a better option.

For myself, I understand BB and Treos (especially WM) to be different categories: both business, but one can do much, much more. But that last part is only relevant if you need to do a specific function e.g. remote-admin. If your company is Exchange based, WM is better. If you have BES, then a BB device.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Not to disparage the BB at all as I think it's great at what it does: email and phone with basic PIM, but what on earth did you install on the 700wx to make it crash so frequently?
    Appointments (20-30) per day and over 600 contacts made it choke! I took off the fancy stuff like MobiTV, Resco Radio, Resco Explorer, Pocket Express, Opera Mini, Sudko, Texas Holdem, etc. and prayed that it would just handle my necessary chores like contacts, appointments and have a reliable phone. I invested a few hundred dollars in software in which I will for BB830 but a least they will work as promised.

Technical problems with the operating system (os) not releasing files after being closed, or automatic purging of temporary files are a must for those who knows but WM suck at it, the system requires hacking period. WM6 will probably be better but I'm not holding my breath. Microsoft needs to take notes from BlackBerry.
    Sprint Kyocera QCP 6035 -> T-Mobile Motorola V600 -> T-Mobile PocketPC -> T-Mobile HP6315 -> T-Mobile BlackBerry 7100t -> T-Mobile Treo 600 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> Verizon Treo 650 -> Treo700w -> Treo 700wx/Treo700p -> BlackBerry 8830
    Quote Originally Posted by bobykim View Post

on/off- you can turn the damn thing off if you'd like. imagine that, palm!

...did I mention that it works likes its supposed to?
    I schedule my BB830 to turn off and ahave it automatically turn back on and then the alarm comes on for me! Oh yea really, the device can be scheduled to turn off automatically! Not like the Treo turn off... I mean resetting! I even scheduled it to turn off during Sunday Church services and back on afterward, wow! No more embarrassing, "I hope that's the Lord calling Brother."

It works better than any Palm period!
    Mala - you know I love you man, but that rock solid 700wx is trapped in a tired, creaky old house - and frankly, I don't like the keyboard that much. I also think the definition of rock solid is somewhat subjective. I still believe that with WM, it's PDA first/phone second. It is a little more equal with POS and I have not had a BB with a phone yet, so I can not reasonably comment. I totally agree about Exchange vs. BES - and I weigh the cost options all the time when considering my next device. BB is certainly more expensive.

One thing I don't think anyone will argue - in general, the BB's battery will beat out a WM device. The Q su*ked, Blackjack, check; all Treo's, check, the Mogul, check, etc.

Right oalvarez?
    Last edited by bubbatex; 08/16/2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: cuz I wanted too...
    maybe we could show Mal a page or two of pasted threads related to the WX's instability, and lets not even talk about the 700w!!

BB's are more stable out of the box (than any Treo). having owned many of each variety, that's what my experience has been.
    ... but that rock solid 700wx is trapped in a tired, creaky old house - and frankly, I don't like the keyboard that much.
    Well, these are subjective observations. I like the Moto Q keyboard but many disparage it. Same with any KB device (some love the BB trackball, others don't). But this is sort of OT about the stability issue.
    I also think the definition of rock solid is somewhat subjective.
    Oh definitely! There is no solid metric here, just personal stories. Just in my experience as a moderator at ppcgeeks and my time at SU, I noticed the Q and 6700 had more complaints and functional issues. Not that it's scientific, but a recent poll here at TC put satisfaction of the 700wx up at 95%. It was just 20-30 people but that's still a high number.

As far as the Touch, while it might look fun I'm not sure how it will fair as a business tool. Seems more play than business...

mrjerome: thanks for the clarification. Obviously your needs were quite high and I'm not sure what the threshold for appointments/contacts vs. stability is but I think you might have reached it
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    maybe we could show Mal a page or two of pasted threads related to the WX's instability,
    Well, you can do that for any device including the BB and you'll find dissatisfaction, just like in this poll where RIM had a 50% satisfaction rating (granted it was higher than POS and Moto, but I'm not sure that's saying much).

I'm not saying the WM Treo is bullet-proof, just in comparison to other WM devices in the U.S., it's the most stable and fastest. The HTC Tilt/Kaiser, however, will probably best it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Mal, curious as to why you didn't include the HTC Mogul in that last comment. Is it because of its memory deficiencies or something else?
    The last straw for me was when I did a hard reset of my 700P, loaded no apps and watched it reset on its own. I've had the BB 8830 for a week and, as others have said. it just works. There are some things I miss about the 700P, including a wider variety of apps. But the BB has enough available and they don't crash the phone. Besides, I keep discovering new things about the BB to like. For example, today I noticed that it doesn't freeze when the phone loses a signal. Also, when something I did while syncing caused a problem, the BB didn't crash and have meltdown. I red box with "Error" appeared and then it went back to what it was doing. Also, the battery lasts a lot longer. I was on the road and away from a charger all day, using the phone and e-mail a lot and had about 70% of the battery at the end of the day. My Treo would have been ready for my spare battery.

Overall, the 8830 is what I waited in vain for my Treo to become; a solid PDA/Phone, with games, Web browsing and document reading capabilities. When Docs to Go puts out a BB version (it's coming), I will have everything I need.

The more time I spend with the 8830, the more I feel like the time I spent with the Treo was some sort of a high tech abusive relationship.

Of course, the BB 8830 has its own annoying quirks, and everyone has different needs and thresholds of pain. But it was the right move for me.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast