Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Just spoke with Verizon yesterday, with my buddy while I was in Circuit City. They are getting a handful of returns on the 8830 because of the trackball becoming dislodged from the phone. Is this even possible without abuse. One guy brought four, count'em four back because they were all missing the trackball. Phone looked odd without them.
    I wanted to comment on this - all the "dummy" phones at my Verizon Store but 1 were missing them too. I thought of this thread right away
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    If that is true...I am in for my wife. I don't want the BB plan and have been wondering if you can use regular email and sync like the Treo. My wife just emails her friends and tracks orders from HSN...lol. I keep being told from reps their is no way to utilize the email application without BB service and I find it hard to believe and haven't been able to play with one to see. Can anyone with A 8830 tell me if you can utilize a regulare email account with the 8830 native application without PUSH and BB connect?
    K - I don't know if it is native gmail, or web based gmail. I read about it here: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=136743

Read and then post something for nickmford - he will CERTAINLY reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    K - I don't know if it is native gmail, or web based gmail. I read about it here: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=136743

Read and then post something for nickmford - he will CERTAINLY reply!
    Not native Gmail...I was wondering if you can use any web based email in Blackberries native email application like you can in Versamail on the Treo?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I just can't get used to the way it displays text in email and web.
    dr grace,

you can try some add on programs like http://www.mobylo.com/, i believe you can change the fonts.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    If that is true...I am in for my wife. I don't want the BB plan and have been wondering if you can use regular email and sync like the Treo. My wife just emails her friends and tracks orders from HSN...lol. I keep being told from reps their is no way to utilize the email application without BB service and I find it hard to believe and haven't been able to play with one to see. Can anyone with A 8830 tell me if you can utilize a regulare email account with the 8830 native application without PUSH and BB connect?

there is no mechanism to check pop or imap accounts with the email client on the blackberry.

you have to go through BIS to do that.
    Felipe
    Okay, I got my 8830 yesterday first thing in the morning, and I've been putting heavy use on it so far. My experience thus far has turned out to be quite different from what I had expected.

First, the big whopper: Blackberry email sucks. How does this manufacturer have the rep for being tops in the email department? I don't have an Enterprise account, so I was going to set up the IMAP account that I use for everything (particularly, Outlook and Chatter). IMAPing with Blackberry, though, means you get your emails delivered every 15 minutes. Somehow I slept through that detail. The alternative option is to create a Blackberry email account, forward the IMAP account to the Blackberry address, and get real-time push email on the Blackberry account (this is actual push email). Several problems accompany this set up though as I'm sure many of you can imagine:
    1. No filing in IMAP folders
    2. Sent and deleted mail are not moved to the corresponding folders
    3. My Outlook looks nothing like my Blackberry inbox at the end of the day (I loved managing one and only one inbox)
    4. Read, replied, forwarded emails do not reflect such actions in your IMAP inbox

Maybe I'm wrong and missing something big here (please, someone reply and say that that's the case). Especially because...

Everything else seems to be an upgrade from the Treo. This part surprised me almost as much as the email issue.

The interface is much more customizable than I had expected--still not to the extent of the Treo. The trackball is a breeze to use, but I had also stopped using the stylus and the touchscreen on my Treo over a year ago in place of exclusive five-way navigation and shortcuts. There's an application launcher that opens up the most frequently used programs. I set that as the function for my "convenience key," (a hard-key on the left side of the device) and it has made navigation a breeze. Icons can be hidden into an optional "show all" view, and the first five icons in the application screen are the only icons on the home screen. I'm a big fan.

One thing I am really loving is totally customizable "profiles." This is actually something I had been waiting for on the Treo for a long time. Actually, I had wanted something simpler. I just wanted to be able to set all alert options for when the mute toggle was on or off. The 650 offered better options for this than later models, but the 8830 allows you to make countless profiles and to set the behavior of each individual aspect of the device within each profile. There are a few stock profiles. I'm running three mainly: silent without vibrate, vibrate only, and quiet tones with vibrate (like I said, I wanted simple, but you can customize everything under each profile). Profiles are easily toggled in the home screen. Nice.

I remember a Blackberry I had played with about a year ago (8700?) not having an agenda screen. This really annoyed me. This model has an agenda screen, and you have the option to integrate tasks. I haven't seen where I can enter categories on appointments yet though. This is a drawback. With Office 2007, I've come to utilize the color-coordinated appointments for quick glances at the calendar. I liked how I could set these in the Treo and, after a sync, they'd be color-coordinated in Outlook. I don't think the 8830 can do this.

Google Maps with the GPS works like a charm. BB Maps isn't bad either. The difference between those two is twofold: 1) preference of interface and 2) interest in using the mapping software as a directory assistant (Google Maps). There is a third-party app, Beyond411, that will search anything from sports scores to white pages, and it's awfully handy.

The phone is great. You can set up single-key speed dial for any key, just like the Treo. And voicemail isn't restricted to the 'E' key. It actually is on the 'W' by default, but it can be changed. Don't know if that matters to anyone. The phone is quick though, and, if you start dialing from the home screen, it takes you right to the phone app. Also, if you dial letters into a phone number, it will dial the corresponding number (e.g. 800-SPRINT1).

To get the whole experience, I picked up a Motorola S9 headset and a 2GB micro SD card. Wow, totally worth it. The S9 is super-convenient, with controls handy and without geeky bluetooth headset look. The S9 is almost completely inconspicuous. With the micro SD card inserted, the phone can connect both to sync and as mass storage simultaneously. Synching is a breeze compared to Palm, but, of course, it isn't doing a full backup with each sync (you also probably don't need one). I threw some tunes on the card, and found that the media player is actually quite nice. I just dropped the whole artist or album folders from My Music onto the card. Everything came up organized and classified by artist and album in the media player, and, when I began playing music, the album art came up on the screen. Music playback was very nice on the S9. A couple of calls came in while I was jamming, the music stopped while the phone rang, I took the calls, and music resumed when I ended the calls.

SMS messages are threaded but in reverse order (newest on top) for those of you who are big on the SMS. Call quality is almost infintely better than the Treo, and speakerphone is actually kind of stunning. Very clear. I've also noticed that my signal has been stronger in places where I sometimes struggle with a signal.

Maybe the best part: I haven't yet hit a charger since the initial charge yesterday morning, and I've been putting this thing to work for two days... and no crashes, freezes, stalls, or anything of the sort. The software actually flies. I've gotten a few brief glimpses of an inverting egg timer, but it's seemed like nothing after the Treo.

So where do I stand after all of this? I'm struggling with the idea of less functional email (Chatter deserves some serious props) when that is the function I primarily use on a smartphone. Truth be told, though, I think I'm sold. I'm going to test out getting forwarded emails for a week (you can set your actual email address to show up as the "sent" address for composed emails, replies, and forwards, just don't expect to see them in the IMAP "sent" folder). If I can make the adjustment to the new way of going about email, I'm sold. Everything else is great. I didn't even mention the sleek design. I've been stopped multiple times in these two days by people who want to check it out. It is an impressive looking device for sure.

If I had to put money down, I'd say I stick with the 8830. I still get a little twist in my stomach when thinking of losing access to my IMAP folders, but, seriously, that's the only remarkable drawback I've found so far. Plus, I'm saving money this way (gotta love those retention people).

I hope this helps some of you out there. Let me know about any specific questions. And, if anyone knows how to get to IMAP folders on here, please let me know.
    After a few more days, I have grown to be completely comfortable with the keyboard. I actually think my accuracy might be better than with the Treo, and the spell-checker is sweet for when the accuracy isn't there (automatically scans for errors before sending emails).

I had taken a new approach to emailing starting this morning: my BB inbox would be somewhat of a to-do list. I would delete all emails unless I needed to follow-up on them. This was working fine, and I was keeping a nice, clean inbox. I just logged into my IMAP account, though, and what a mess I found. There's two and a half pages of emails there. I don't feel like sorting through them because I've seen them all already. I hate having email in my inbox though. With Chatter, everything was either filed or deleted as the day went on. Perhaps I just need to continue adjusting, but I'm not in love with this process or the task ahead of me (every day if I keep the 8830).
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    there is no mechanism to check pop or imap accounts with the email client on the blackberry.

you have to go through BIS to do that.
    Thanks
    at&t iPhone3G
    today, the 8830 pearl thing stopped working until i rebooted the device.

scary when it happened.
    Felipe
    After doing some extensive Googling, I've learned that Yahoo Mail supports 2-way synchronization with the Blackberry. Additionally, it is instant (not the 15-minute lag of IMAP and POP accounts). I registered for a Yahoo Mail account and set it up on my new 8830. It works exactly as advertised. Any changes I make in the Yahoo Mail inbox or on my handheld show up immediately on the other. Deleted mail gets deleted, sent mail gets filed appropriately, and read mail shows up as read. I still don't think I can file, but this is certainly better.

The cost? Microsoft Outlook (something I've been addicted to for years). Granted, the calendar, tasks, and address book have not suffered, and I can still sync my device. But I now have to go elsewhere for email. I could pay an annual fee to POP the Yahoo Mail account, but doing so essentially trades the roles of the Blackberry and the laptop from where I was yesterday.

What I really need is a mail service that offers two-way sync support for blackberry AND IMAP capabilities. Heck, I'd even pay a fee for the IMAPing. I feel like I'm getting closer, but I'm not quite there yet.
    Maybe I am just bad luck with phones, but our company is sending back two BB 8830 on Verizon because of connectivity issues.
    I'm about ready to make the jump from the Treo 700P to the BB 8830, and found this thread really helpful. I know I will lose some functions (Slingplayer, Camera) but will, hopefully, get some stability. Being on VZW, I do have a concern about GPS. I know the Sprint and AT&T version have the GPS enabled for navigation, and the VZW does not. The VZW rep said the GPS unit is in the phone, but VZW has yet to develop the software or application to allow it to be activitated (meaning, allowing them to charge for an additional service). He said he expects they will soon. (Uh, sure.) Since I use TomTom with my 700P, this is the one function I am torn about. Does anyone know whether the VZW 8830 has a GPS system that can be made to work with a navigation system, whether offered by VZW or a third party? OR have they permanently disabled it. I could switch to AT&T or Sprint, but it will be a hassle and VZW's coverage works best for me.
    I believe the GPS in both the 88xx series and some of the 83xx series Curves is "integrated" meaning there is an embedded GPS hardware and app software on the phone. Therefore, VZW doesn't need to do anything to enable it. This is different than carrier-assisted GPS which uses cell tower triangulation instead of dedicated GPS hardware. VZW would need to enable that from the network side.

If you already have TomTom I assume you have a separate BT GPS unit like I do. You could always use that for your GPS hardware provided your ok with having a separate piece of hardware. I only mention it since the pinstack link rumour implied some 88xx and 83xx series would have either WiFi or GPS, but not both. You may have more options to trade off depending on what's important to you.

I personally am anxious to see a Curve on Sprint because I don't want to give up a camera. If I had to choose WiFi over GPS, I might choose WiFi since I have BT GPS already. Now, if Sling would just support the Curve, I'd become a former Treo user.
    Last edited by tomvb2000; 08/10/2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: add camera
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Well, I just took the plunge and got the 8830. My office is setting it up on our system. I have 30 days to try it, so I'll see if I can go cold turkey from a treo to a BB. The VZW rep confirmed what you said about the GPS and also said he thought there was 3rd party navigation software for the 8830, though I haven't heard of any. I think I will miss the Slingbox, touch screen, gps, and camera, in that order. The camera has always been a mixed bag because some places I go for work won't let you bring a cell phone if it has a camera. I wonder if SlingMedia is working on a player for the BB?
    Good luck and let us know how your crackberry assimilation goes . Navigation without a touchsreen would be my challenge as well.

No word from Sling, but I remain hopeful. Maybe with the streaming video support on BB OS coming soon, it'll be possible.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    not having a touchscreen isn't the end of the world. have you truly tried one yet? you might just like the less bulky and heavy form factor, then again, you might not. i thought a virtual keyboard would be the end of the iPhone for me, that is until i tried it.

give something else a try, you just might like it.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    not having a touchscreen isn't the end of the world. have you truly tried one yet? you might just like the less bulky and heavy form factor, then again, you might not. i thought a virtual keyboard would be the end of the iPhone for me, that is until i tried it.

give something else a try, you just might like it.
    Not to harp - but there is a huge difference in a Pearl and an 8830 in form factor. While the 8830 is nice and thin compared to a Treo, it is wide as hell! Even wider than a Q. That can be as annoying as something that is thick, IMHO (unless you use a BT headset exclusively).
    Last edited by bubbatex; 08/11/2007 at 09:17 AM.
    I haven't spent enough time with a BB to say I know it really well, but I've played with them some (mostly coworkers') - 87xx, 88xx, and Curve. Given the BB UI has been designed for a jog dial/trackball I'm sure I can get used it. I also have an E62 (don't ask why) and am constantly frustrated with the extra steps that would be avoided with a touchscreen - the BB is definitely better.

I'm really just waiting to see what devices come out in the next couple of months. If a Curve comes out on Sprint (per the pinstack rumour), I'll jump on it since I don't expect to see the 800alp e/o 2Q08. Given the 700p MR problems, I have no interest in waiting 10 months for something that needs an immediate MR that will be available a year after device release. Palm's lost and they've about lost me.
    Is it possible to receive mms messages on the blackberry even though no camera is available. If I decided on the BB over the Treo 700/755, I need mms because everyone I know has a regular cell and sends me pics all the time.
    I made the switch yesterday from the VZW Palm 700P to the BB 8830 and, so far, I have mixed feelings. First, the learning curve has been a little steeper than I expected. You need to dig down through menus to find certain settings and the manual they give you doesn't exactly match what's on the VZW 8830. I finally figured out that VZW has (no surprise here) disabled several functions, causing certain menus to be different than what the book says. Having now spent hours playing with it, Iím ready to start loading apps. FWIW, here is my early review:

BB Positives:

1. Stability: After many hours switching between apps, changing settings, stopping things mid process, taking and making phone calls, sending and receiving e-mail, text messages and web browsing, the BB hasnít frozen, crashed, reset or hiccupped once. One of the more ironic moments came about 2 AM when I was trying to figure out browser settings on the BB. I had the 700Pís phone turned off, sitting on my desk and had not touched it for a couple of hours. I was almost feeling sorry for it until I saw the screen light up and watched as it went through a soft reset!

2. Trackball: The trackball works well. While I would prefer a touch screen, I donít miss it.

3. Flexibility: It takes a bit of searching through menus, but it is more customizable than I expected. It has a media player and can receive multimedia messages. It comes with a map program which recognizes my Bluetooth GPS and gives directions. However, it is pretty basic. Why VZW will not let the map app uses the internal GPS is beyond me, though I suspect itís all about figuring out how to charge us more for it.

4. E-mail Delivery: My office uses a BB server, so the e-mail delivery is flawless. I can get my Comcast personal e-mail integrated with my office e-mail.

5. Neat touches: The BB senses when it is in its leather holster, turning off when you put it in and on when you take it out. You can also set different ringing and vibrate profiles for in the holster and out. It has spell check.

6. Phone: The sound of the phone is pretty good and Iíve had no complaints from anyone. The volume is a lot louder than my 700P, which is great.

7. Bluetooth: Once it is paired, it stays paired. Iíve paired it to my car, headset and GPS unit.

BB Negatives:

1. Web browser: While Iím still trying to figure out the two Web browsers (BlackBerry Bowser and ďInternet BrowserĒ), Blazer is far superior in rendering pages and acting like a web browser. I still canít get certain sites to work properly, even though I enabled Java. Iím hoping I just havenít learned how to configure it properly.

2. Form factor: This is really personal, but I like the thicker, but narrower Treo. Still the BB isnít bad.

3. E-mail & Document Rendering: The look of the e-mail is very basic compared to Snapper Mail or Goodlink on the 700P. While you can read Word attachments, you canít save them or edit them with the provided software. Also, the formatting is pretty basic. Docs to Go is not yet available for BB. There are documents apps, but most seem to run well over $100.

Right now, I feel much the same way I felt about the difference between MS Windows 3.1 and the Mac OS. Like the Treo, you could load a bunch of apps and do a lot of things with Windows 3.1, but you had to tolerate random crashes, software that just didnít work and the BSOD. However, I was never a big fan of Macs because, like the BB, it all seemed too standardized and they just did not do some things very well. But the Macs and BB work because Apple and BB force standardization. I still only have PCs, but I have less tolerance for things not working, so the BB has its appeal. Coincidently, my 20 year-old son, who was raised in a PC household, bought a Mac Book Pro the same day I got my BB.

I have 29 more days to see if I can fall in love with the BBís stability and standardization or if Palm gets its act together.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast