Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Just spoke with Verizon yesterday, with my buddy while I was in Circuit City. They are getting a handful of returns on the 8830 because of the trackball becoming dislodged from the phone. Is this even possible without abuse. One guy brought four, count'em four back because they were all missing the trackball. Phone looked odd without them.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Totally agree with everything written here.

add a little more regarding service : Had experience with the 8800 from ATT and now the 8830 from Sprint , the ATT model is a "Slug" compared with the EVDO model.

Also GPS, BB maps is great, and telenav is perfect

Another Huge option over Treo its a world phone CDMA with the GSM option

(Former 600-650-700p owner who will never go back)

How do you get Tele Nav to re speak the directions, I know on the magellan's you click on an icon and it restates the previous spoken direction
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    How do you get Tele Nav to re speak the directions, I know on the magellan's you click on an icon and it restates the previous spoken direction
    to be honest never had to look for that option, don't know if tele nav can do that?
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Just spoke with Verizon yesterday, with my buddy while I was in Circuit City. They are getting a handful of returns on the 8830 because of the trackball becoming dislodged from the phone. Is this even possible without abuse. One guy brought four, count'em four back because they were all missing the trackball. Phone looked odd without them.
    ??? Read alot of info at Blackberry sites and can't remember EVER seeing anyone with this much of a problem.
    ??? Read alot of info at Blackberry sites and can't remember EVER seeing anyone with this much of a problem.

As he said "handfull" - and 4 would be a handfull, IMO!
  6.    #66  
    to be honest never had to look for that option, don't know if tele nav can do that?
    Spoke with tech support and it cannot
    Great choice on the BlackBerry 8830. I did a ton of research at a cool site I found that sells all the major wireless devices and connectivity from the major carriers (www.wirelessbyeaccess.com ) and I finally went with the BlackBerry 8830 - I love it!!! You will too. Congratulations on your new BlackBerry, enjoy it!
    smells a little spamish around here....
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    smells a little spamish around here....
    I agree. But I have been known to be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I agree. But I have been known to be wrong.
    Links?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I hate to say it but I called Sprint retentions last night and bought an 8830. Between Bluetooth issues, resets, the size and now network issues I just can't wait anymore on Palm.

I have been a big advocate of the Treo and I pushed a number of co-workers into Treo's. Most have left for Blackberry and I will have to eat some crow when mine shows up.

Still, some of us are trying to get some work done around here and I can't waste time screwing with resets and phone calls lost due to headset problems.

I wanted to hold out until the Linux Treo was here but that probably isn't going to happen. I guess based on Palm's recent history I won't be the first to buy their next device anyway.

Maybe the 8830 will stink and I will return it w/in the 30 day window at Sprint but I doubt it.

Bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    I hate to say it but I called Sprint retentions last night and bought an 8830. Between Bluetooth issues, resets, the size and now network issues I just can't wait anymore on Palm.

I have been a big advocate of the Treo and I pushed a number of co-workers into Treo's. Most have left for Blackberry and I will have to eat some crow when mine shows up.

Still, some of us are trying to get some work done around here and I can't waste time screwing with resets and phone calls lost due to headset problems.

I wanted to hold out until the Linux Treo was here but that probably isn't going to happen. I guess based on Palm's recent history I won't be the first to buy their next device anyway.

Maybe the 8830 will stink and I will return it w/in the 30 day window at Sprint but I doubt it.

Bummer.
    I'm actually with Homie on this one. After years of Treo use--and convincing many to switch to Palm OS Treos--I called retention this morning on my way to work. I was able to work a great deal, and I actually will be paying about $15 less for equal service with Sprint on the BB that I had been getting with my Treo (unlimited data and texting with a low-anytime-minute voice plan). I was actually shocked at how low they were able to go on the plan.

A few issues put me over the top on this, including the fact that every other manufacturer was making advancements in leaps and bounds while Palm did nothing. My girlfriend actually bought a BB last year, and I convinced her to switch to a Treo during her 30-day trial as she saw all the fun stuff I could do that she couldn't. The improvements since that BB she bought last year are astonishing. Meanwhile, I'm still sitting on the exact same phone. The only real upgrade available is for me to drop off my antenna stub. Thrilling.

I have noticed that my needs regarding my phone have narrowed since I began using Treos. I've deleted all games and media from the device. I rely on email very heavily, and I BT hotsync every morning to keep my PIM up-to-date. I now almost exclusively use the calendar, contacts, tasks, internet, directory assistant, (which is being replaced more and more by) Google Maps, and email. These are all things that a BB can do for me, and having GPS will actually make some of these functions better.

I've been linking an IMAP account with Chatter Email for push delivery. This has been a great fix for the lack of push, but it isn't without cost. I use an extended-life battery, and I carry my fully-charged original battery as a backup since I usually can't make it through a full day on the extended-life battery. A single night away from home means no battery life the next day. Surprisingly (to me), I haven't seen this issue discussed much, and I wonder if it's just me. My girlfriend (with her Treo--ugg) has the same issues though.

Finally, there's the crashes. Most recently: I spent this past weekend in New York City, and, for some reason, my phone would freeze every time it attempted to connect to Vision Services. I would have to do a soft reset to get back to normal each time. I ended up leaving the phone in my friend's apartment for the weekend. When I returned home, the problem disappeared. Perhaps that's what really put me over the edge.

Truth is, though, that I'm very excited to try out a new device. I'm looking forward to the 8830, the GPS, the phone-as-modem capability, the sleek design, the battery life, and the stability of the RIM OS. It's a shame Palm is losing some of its most faithful. They are really dropping the ball here. In the past I might have secretly hoped for a test-drive of another device to fail so I could stay with my Treo. I'm really hoping for a great experience with the 8300, though, when it arrives in a couple of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by kboan View Post
    I called retention this morning on my way to work. I was able to work a great deal, and I actually will be paying about $15 less for equal service with Sprint on the BB that I had been getting with my Treo (unlimited data and texting with a low-anytime-minute voice plan). I was actually shocked at how low they were able to go on the plan.
    How Great are we talking about the Deal you got? SERO Great or Great over your regular sprint plan?
    I am very insterested if I can keep my SERO with BB without any extra.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    How Great are we talking about the Deal you got? SERO Great or Great over your regular sprint plan?
    I am very insterested if I can keep my SERO with BB without any extra.
    The deal I was on consisted of $39.99 for voice service, $15 Vision, $4 insurance, $15 unlimited texts. I retained all of these services, and Sprint threw an extra 150 anytime minutes into the deal. See above to see how the new plan compares in monthly charges.
    The deal I was on consisted of $39.99 for voice service, $15 Vision, $4 insurance, $15 unlimited texts. I retained all of these services, and Sprint threw an extra 150 anytime minutes into the deal. See above to see how the new plan compares in monthly charges.
    And you have the BB data plan in this? I don't see that you do - but if you are only using gmail, you'll be OK with just Vision.
    And you have the BB data plan in this? I don't see that you do - but if you are only using gmail, you'll be OK with just Vision.
    No, when I call to activate the 8830, my plan will switch to Blackberry Unlimited Data. This was why I ended up making the purchase today. When I initially called retention this morning, I was just calling to test the waters and see what they could do for me. The plan pricing that Sprint was able to offer was a little more than $30 less than what I had anticipated each month. The phone is practically paid for in a year.
    I'm a long-time user of Palm devices, but with all the 700p frustration, I've been trying out the 8830 from Sprint for the last couple of days. I just can't get used to the way it displays text in email and web. It's nice to have built-in GPS and the ability to use a SIM card when traveling abroad is a wonderful possibility. But I'm not sure I can give up Chatter email! And Blazer, as slow as it is, still works better than the BB browser. Overall, I have a lingering distaste for the experience of using the BB.

Fortunately I haven't applied the Treo MR, so maybe I'll stick with my 700p on Verizon after all.

If that is true...I am in for my wife. I don't want the BB plan and have been wondering if you can use regular email and sync like the Treo. My wife just emails her friends and tracks orders from HSN...lol. I keep being told from reps their is no way to utilize the email application without BB service and I find it hard to believe and haven't been able to play with one to see. Can anyone with A 8830 tell me if you can utilize a regulare email account with the 8830 native application without PUSH and BB connect?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    If that is true...I am in for my wife. I don't want the BB plan and have been wondering if you can use regular email and sync like the Treo. My wife just emails her friends and tracks orders from HSN...lol. I keep being told from reps their is no way to utilize the email application without BB service and I find it hard to believe and haven't been able to play with one to see. Can anyone with A 8830 tell me if you can utilize a regulare email account with the 8830 native application without PUSH and BB connect?
    I was under the impression that the BB data was necessary for that type of functionality. I was in AT&T and Sprint stores earlier this week, and that's the message I received at both places. I could see where it might be a possibility that isn't necessarily advertised though.
    I was under the impression that the BB data was necessary for that type of functionality. I was in AT&T and Sprint stores earlier this week, and that's the message I received at both places. I could see where it might be a possibility that isn't necessarily advertised though.
    I'm pretty sure that the BB is required per RIM from everything i've read also.

It's the same price on VZW though, the 8830 will end up being the direction i go if there are continued Palm issues. I haven't seen a working one yet though - so i'm worried about the stuff i read.

So far my 700p replacement is working - 1.1 and all. But i'm not on Data much either!
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast