Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I played with the 8830 because that is what my company is switching to. Not me I am a pee-on and have to pay my own way, but thats a different matter. Anyhow, I thougt I could get used to the trackball and I just couldn't. I much prefer the jog wheel of the older models.
    A very good friend of my feels the same way. she tried it out in the store and the Verizon Rep told her that was the major complaint that former "click users" had. It's not perfect but I have been using it for 6 days now and when I go back to my Treo 755p to get information, I find myself trying to use the Treo as a Trackball. I think that after a short period of time that it would be useful and 2nd nature. It's true that the device takes a couple of extra clicks to retrieve information but the device seems to be Rock Solid. I have had one program BB weather which hangs the device, requiring a reboot. The phone takes longer to reboot than the Treo. The more I play with it, the more I think that this unit will suffice until I get the new 8800 series with camera and wifi; until our Palm Linux makes it's appearance next May. What a poor move on Palm's part. If they would have put the time and money in development of the linux treo and forgotten about the Foleo, we would have been in good shape now and there would have been three devices to choose from; I-phone, BB 8830 and the Linux-Treo and do not forget the Win Mobile 6. I just got a new laptop and will probably not get the "Foleo". Sorry Jeff, Donna and Steve S. need to go back to the drawing board today if not yesterday and see how they can retain their Palm users. If Palm loses one customer; how many people will that one person steer away from Palm (that will result in a large number of lost customers). I used to recommend Palm to everyone, being their champion but I cannot do that anymore!! Yet Palm still allows itself to be abused on their blog.
    I completely agree with your post. I love palm, but everyone in our office is moving from the palm os to a BB or a wm device that is not a treo. Palm in general has its hands full with the future of the treo, palm or wm versions. The design a few years ago was great, but now they are resting on their laurels.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I moved from the Treo 700 to the Blackberry 8830 and will never go back to any Microsoft operating system again. I picked the phone up at 2:00PM and it took the Verizon guys 30 minutes to set it up for phone/data/tethering/international. I arrived at my office at 3PM by 3:45 my email was working, calendar and contacts loaded and all personal settings setup. At 7PM I left for Europe (Germany, Austria, Italy and Poland). The phone worked flawlessly everywhere. All my emails were pushed to me; all calls were clear and fast. I even received calls in every country with calls to my US number. In Germany I was able to tether and download a large document to my laptop.

I have had the phone for a month and what sets it appart from the Treo:
    1. Trackball – a touch screen is unnecessary – everything is accomplished one handed.
    2. Fast push email – it hits my 8830 before my desktop.
    3. Stability – the system never locks-up or crashes
    4. The ability to set fonts larger for emails and web browsing – I do not need my glasses to read the screen.
    5. Battery life – It is at least 3 times longer than the Treo
    6. Bluetooth – I can use my Jawbone while keeping my 8830 in my briefcase.
    7. Email attachments – They start out sized for the screen and can be zoomed to any size
    8. The screen – sharp, clear and bright
    9. Form factor – I can keep it in my top sport jacket pocket without the typical Treo bulge.
    9. Tethering – It tethers to my two laptops fast and easily without dropping a connection.
    10. Sync software – it is FAST and works EVERYTIME it’s a huge improvement over Activesync
    There is a lot more but basically the phone is extremely easy to live with. It does what it is suppose to without any fuss. I have added the following software: Google Maps; Expense Manager: Pocket Express: Worldmate Professional; MSN Live Search; Par 72 Golf and Texas Holdem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    and you guys are prepared to pay the $40/mo BB connection fee associated with the 8830? I have thought about one for a while (dumped my T650 in January for a Q), but I have free PowerVision now and just can't justify going from free to $40 - even if they gave it to me for 1/2, that is still $240/yr. But, if your phone is reimbursed for business....
    My wife wants the 8830 and $40 is steep for BB connect. Is there any work around to just use BB email application with Power Vision without having the PUSH. My wife just wants to be able to use email with option to sync automatically like the Treo. I have never had a BB device and am curious if you can utilize email application w/o BB connect. If you have to have BB connect for $40 I will have to think about it. If my wife was in the business that would call for BB service, fine...but all she does is email her friends back and forth leisurely, and I an't paying that much for that.
    at&t iPhone3G
    As I understand it, it's RIM's rule that if you use a BB, you also have pay for their BB service. The phone companies aren't supposed to activate the phone without it. I just tried BB's on Verizon and TMo, and they both have the same rule. On Verizon, the BB service costs the same as their regular unlimited data, so it's not much of an issue, but on Sprint, the difference is quite steep, and to me is not worth the price (and I move to Sprint because I decided I wanted a Treo anyway ). Till now BB has been a business device, only very recently have the started to market to consumers. I wonder if their price structure will change as they try to appeal to more non-business people?
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by valodya View Post
    As I understand it, it's RIM's rule that if you use a BB, you also have pay for their BB service. The phone companies aren't supposed to activate the phone without it. I just tried BB's on Verizon and TMo, and they both have the same rule. On Verizon, the BB service costs the same as their regular unlimited data, so it's not much of an issue, but on Sprint, the difference is quite steep, and to me is not worth the price (and I move to Sprint because I decided I wanted a Treo anyway ). Till now BB has been a business device, only very recently have the started to market to consumers. I wonder if their price structure will change as they try to appeal to more non-business people?
    call sprint and they gave me another 10% off a month which will cover my data plan for the BB. Had to sign a 2 year agreement. But Sprint also replace my 700 post MR with a shiny new 755p for my wife which will replace her aging 650. Sorry Palm you should have release the Linux Treo on Sep 1. Please take care of your customers!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    My wife wants the 8830 and $40 is steep for BB connect. Is there any work around to just use BB email application with Power Vision without having the PUSH. My wife just wants to be able to use email with option to sync automatically like the Treo. I have never had a BB device and am curious if you can utilize email application w/o BB connect. If you have to have BB connect for $40 I will have to think about it. If my wife was in the business that would call for BB service, fine...but all she does is email her friends back and forth leisurely, and I an't paying that much for that.
    No way around it - and I now understand it is not $40, but $70. I am reading on sprintusers that b/c the 8830 is an international phone you have to have the international data plan! That's Verizon pricing!

Is that true morningstar??
  8.    #48  
    No way around it - and I now understand it is not $40, but $70. I am reading on sprintusers that b/c the 8830 is an international phone you have to have the international data plan! That's Verizon pricing!

I do not think so but if it is, then I will have to return my phone. With the discount given, that covers the extra I would have been paying on the BB platform. I will give them a *2 call now.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I do not think so but if it is, then I will have to return my phone. With the discount given, that covers the extra I would have been paying on the BB platform. I will give them a *2 call now.

Just got off the phone with sprint BB support and the agent said, an international plan is not required!

I deleted the program BB Alerts as it was causing me some problems!
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyt01 View Post
    I moved from the Treo 700 to the Blackberry 8830 and will never go back to any Microsoft operating system again. I picked the phone up at 2:00PM and it took the Verizon guys 30 minutes to set it up for phone/data/tethering/international. I arrived at my office at 3PM by 3:45 my email was working, calendar and contacts loaded and all personal settings setup. At 7PM I left for Europe (Germany, Austria, Italy and Poland). The phone worked flawlessly everywhere. All my emails were pushed to me; all calls were clear and fast. I even received calls in every country with calls to my US number. In Germany I was able to tether and download a large document to my laptop.

1. Trackball – a touch screen is unnecessary – everything is accomplished one handed.
    4. The ability to set fonts larger for emails and web browsing – I do not need my glasses to read the screen.
    7. Email attachments – They start out sized for the screen and can be zoomed to any size
    9. Form factor – I can keep it in my top sport jacket pocket without the typical Treo bulge.
    9. Tethering – It tethers to my two laptops fast and easily without dropping a connection.
    10. Sync software – it is FAST and works EVERYTIME it’s a huge improvement over Activesync
    There is a lot more but basically the phone is extremely easy to live with. It does what it is suppose to without any fuss. I have added the following software: Google Maps; Expense Manager: Pocket Express: Worldmate Professional; MSN Live Search; Par 72 Golf and Texas Holdem.
    Totally agree with everything written here.

add a little more regarding service : Had experience with the 8800 from ATT and now the 8830 from Sprint , the ATT model is a "Slug" compared with the EVDO model.

Also GPS, BB maps is great, and telenav is perfect

Another Huge option over Treo its a world phone CDMA with the GSM option

(Former 600-650-700p owner who will never go back)
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts

Not true at all i am paying the $40 but will upgrading to the $70 for a month wilst i go to bermuda. Sprint told me and its noted in my account i can go back to my excisting $40 plan on return to the states.
  12.    #52  
    That is what I am awaiting...the possability of the Curve coming to Sprint and I am one foot on a banana peal away from jumping ship. I think the 8830 extra size on the Curve could include the combo of EVDO radio and SIM card, don't quote me. I wonder if they could do a world phone with the Curve?

Rim is soon going to see that Palm is a market they need to hit as one user on this web site stated that Palm was in their "crosshairs" on their scope. Palm has failed to address issues. Could they not have just focused on the Palm OS and Linux and forgotten about the Win Mobile and the Foleo. Just kidding I know that a lot of TC users love their devices. But Palm needs to get back the smart phone business and produce quality products and then I would not have to learn another operating system. Palm you do not address these issues on your blog!!

$40 for unlimited BB data within the USA and $70 for unlimited BB data internationally I was told by our Sprint Rep. You can switch between those 2 plans any time. So, if you are going oversees just call and change the plan and once you are back change it back to national. I do not know however if this will extend your contract every time you do change the BB data plan.
    It doesn't extend when you change a data plan on verizon. But I am sure they will figure a way to get you there too.

Thanks, Now I have to see if my wife really wants one that bad because I don't want to pay that much but if she really wants it she will probablly get it.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by brichter21 View Post
    $40 for unlimited BB data within the USA and $70 for unlimited BB data internationally I was told by our Sprint Rep. You can switch between those 2 plans any time. So, if you are going oversees just call and change the plan and once you are back change it back to national. I do not know however if this will extend your contract every time you do change the BB data plan.
    Thanks - that is good news (well, as long as it really works - we know how things can change at Sprint!). Some folks at sprintusers are saying that Sprint reps are not giving that option (which is also typical of Sprint - no one ever seems to know the correct answer for about 3 months after a new phone introduction)

Thanks, Now I have to see if my wife really wants one that bad because I don't want to pay that much but if she really wants it she will probablly get it.
    K - if you have been a customer for a while, you can always ask for a discount off of this - might get it!
    K - if you have been a customer for a while, you can always ask for a discount off of this - might get it!
    Good point...I might just do that. I just don't want to be on Sprint's possible future "Customer Demands" extermination list...lol. Seriously, I will try though.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Thanks - that is good news (well, as long as it really works - we know how things can change at Sprint!). Some folks at sprintusers are saying that Sprint reps are not giving that option (which is also typical of Sprint - no one ever seems to know the correct answer for about 3 months after a new phone introduction)

I'll let you know soon - I ordered a BB 8830 yesterday to test here in the company. I have one executive go to Germany on the 30th this month. If it works well we might be replacing all our Treo's with the BB.

P.S.: Of course, once the exec comes back from Germany I will grab the 8830 and will test it too - maybe I want one too ....
    Quote Originally Posted by garyt01 View Post

exactly. my spouse has been using Blackberry for years and just recently was issued a 8800 and absolutely loves it. it took her very little time to adjust to the trackball and has not complained. it's an incredible device especially for business email and travel abroad. the battery life is really tremendous and betters my Pearl by a number of days! yep, we use ours to tether as well, quite functional. we both have BES servers at work which trully allows for seemless integration. and it's almost small enough for me to contemplate migrating over to one but my Pearl is hands-down the most pocketable of the bunch. give and take i suppose.

glad you're happy with your blackberry
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I just posted elsewhere - but I would really like to take a good stab at the 8830. But besides the $40/mo BB plan (I currently have free PV), I would also have to pay my Exchange host (I am a small biz owner) $15 additional each month on top of my $15 Exchange service for BB support. $55 EXTRA a month - no phone is worth that for me right now.

OK, I am now officially off of my BB cost soapbox! I have whinned enough.....
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast