1.    #1  
    See my signature. I am a long-time palm supporter. But the new Sprint BB Worldphone is mighty appealing. I would lose some third-party apps and a camera but still get EVDO, world phone and a more stable device.

There is one question that I cannot find the answer to, no matter how hard I try. Does the BB (using enterprise sevrer software linked to exchange) give the same e-mail functionality as Chatter (via IMAP to exchange). Specific things I do now:

1) Push - I know BB does that
    2) Deleting from inbox moves to deleted in Outlook
    3) I can move a message from my inbox to any outlook folder
    4) Sent message appear in sent items folder of Outlook
    5) I can search any outlook folder and even use filters
    6) I can choose what from address will appear when I send a reply (Chatter calls that SMTP profile). This is even if there isn't an actual "account" set up.

For example, I have all my personal mail forward to my main office account. I can easily tell in my one chatter inbox whether the message was sent to my personal or work address. If personal, I can choose to reply using my personal SMTP info (actually Chatter is so smart that it knows to use the personal one - but I can always change it). This way, I am not giving my office e-mail address to personal contacts.

So, can someone please tell me if the blackberry can do everything chatter does? Seems my BB using friends don't know. AT&T staff doesn't know and I can't find a full answer online.

If not, I will stop thinking the grass is greener on the BB side. If yes, it is another thing to add to the BB positive side of my personal comparison.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    See my signature. I am a long-time palm supporter. But the new Sprint BB Worldphone is mighty appealing. I would lose some third-party apps and a camera but still get EVDO, world phone and a more stable device.

There is one question that I cannot find the answer to, no matter how hard I try. Does the BB (using enterprise sevrer software linked to exchange) give the same e-mail functionality as Chatter (via IMAP to exchange). Specific things I do now:

1) Push - I know BB does that (YES)
    2) Deleting from inbox moves to deleted in Outlook (YES)
    3) I can move a message from my inbox to any outlook folder (Never tried)
    4) Sent message appear in sent items folder of Outlook (YES)
    5) I can search any outlook folder and even use filters (Never tried)
    6) I can choose what from address will appear when I send a reply (Chatter calls that SMTP profile). This is even if there isn't an actual "account" set up.
    (Don't think so)

For example, I have all my personal mail forward to my main office account. I can easily tell in my one chatter inbox whether the message was sent to my personal or work address. If personal, I can choose to reply using my personal SMTP info (actually Chatter is so smart that it knows to use the personal one - but I can always change it). This way, I am not giving my office e-mail address to personal contacts.

So, can someone please tell me if the blackberry can do everything chatter does? Seems my BB using friends don't know. AT&T staff doesn't know and I can't find a full answer online.

If not, I will stop thinking the grass is greener on the BB side. If yes, it is another thing to add to the BB positive side of my personal comparison.

See my responses in Red above. I only use my blackberry because my company will not use any other device for corporate email. With that being said, I haven't experimented with it like I did my Treo 650 and 700P. To me Chatter, and other third party email programs like it was one of the biggest selling points for getting a Treo.
    Lock and Load!
    #3 and #5....yes (folders as part of your inbox tree, not personal folders) and yes.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  4.    #4  
    oalvarez: Thanks for the reply. So, as long as the folders are under the inbox, I have the same functionality as chatter? What about #6 - sending from different SMTP addresses? Anyone else want to offer their experiences on BB mail vs. chattermail on treo? Thanks.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    oalvarez: Thanks for the reply. So, as long as the folders are under the inbox, I have the same functionality as chatter? What about #6 - sending from different SMTP addresses? Anyone else want to offer their experiences on BB mail vs. chattermail on treo? Thanks.

BB mail works great if you have a corporate enterprise server and supports all the functionality mentioned. I don't think it supports push email via third party IMAP servers though.
    #6 - YES
    You can set up different SMTP accounts to send from, even if there isn't an actual account set up. I only have two email accounts that come into my phone but because other accounts are forwarded to these, I have 4 smtp profiles.