Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between those who bought one on friday and those who bought on saturday. They all purchased them before there was much first hand/real world info about them, they were buying with a fair amount of info still being unknown.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I still haven't seen any real reason to spend ~$500 for an iPhone aside from aesthetics. Can someone show me a real significant reason to dump my workhorse Treo 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe View Post
    They all purchased them before there was much first hand/real world info about them, they were buying with a fair amount of info still being unknown.
    I agree in that sense but it seems that the willingness to queue does perhaps mark them out as somewhat different. Put it this way, anyone unwilling to queue wouldn't have been one of the 50 people Seattle P-I interviewed while they were waiting in line!
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz View Post
    I still haven't seen any real reason to spend ~$500 for an iPhone aside from aesthetics. Can someone show me a real significant reason to dump my workhorse Treo 650?
    Better browser, better email, better photo capability, better music player, better screen, wifi, stability, better audio quality, Apple treats their customers better than Palm... The iPhone is a fantastic device for many people, but it may not be for everyone. Go try one, if you're happier with your Treo then stick with it, my 650 is now used for running TomTom and nothing else.
    Better browser, better email, better photo capability, better music player, better screen, wifi, stability, better audio quality, Apple treats their customers better than Palm... The iPhone is a fantastic device for many people, but it may not be for everyone. Go try one, if you're happier with your Treo then stick with it, my 650 is now used for running TomTom and nothing else.
    Let me just add that those are perfectly valid reasons, as long as one also acknowledges one has to give up some stuff too, like the aforementioned TomTom.

Surur
    Better browser, better email, better photo capability, better music player, better screen, wifi, stability, better audio quality
    I haven't seen many comments on audio quality of the iPhone and I'd be very interested to know how you find it compares to other devices.

I had a Treo 650 and currently have a Nokia E61, both of which sound pretty poor to my ears. I currently carry an iPod (sounds great) as well the E61 and one of the main appeals of the iPhone is getting back to just one device.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I haven't seen many comments on audio quality of the iPhone and I'd be very interested to know how you find it compares to other devices.

I had a Treo 650 and currently have a Nokia E61, both of which sound pretty poor to my ears. I currently carry an iPod (sounds great) as well the E61 and one of the main appeals of the iPhone is getting back to just one device.
    iPod functionality is wonderful with the headphones. Speakerphone is a bit of a disappointment to me. Call quality is good.
    Lock and Load!
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    That is definitely the iphone...lol The owners all must be court jesters.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Its the treo owners and palm fanatics who take the cake as the court`s buffoons here.

Rimm is kicking palm`s *** back and forth and all around the block, with apple getting set to extend still more damage down the road.

Palm`s first smartphone was an embarrassment compared to apple`s first effort with the iphone.

The only court jesters around here are the ones who are still touting palm as a real player in the field anymore.

To me, THAT`S entertainment.
    I think treobk214 has us on this one. The Treo may be more technically adept than the iPhone (as the WM5/6 platform is more so than the Treo), but nonetheless the total user experience, for anyone other than us geeks and the true techno-nerd business users, is far superior. If (when) they push out an Exchange OTA client for the iPhone, I'm sure I'll be on it like a duck on a bug. WE can be as condescending as we like about the "inferior technical acumen" of the average iPhone user, but we're only fooling ourselves about the ultimate impact on Palm and the geeky WM5/6 devices we use now.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    iPod functionality is wonderful with the headphones. Speakerphone is a bit of a disappointment to me. Call quality is good.
    Thanks. How would you say audio quality (through headphones) compares to other devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz View Post
    if your needs cannot be met by the iPhone then obviously keep your Treo.

if your needs are not beyond typical phone usage, internet browsing/media, home/personal email, and listening to music then you could do a lot better than having to carry a brick for those purposes.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    I think treobk214 has us on this one. The Treo may be more technically adept than the iPhone (as the WM5/6 platform is more so than the Treo), but nonetheless the total user experience, for anyone other than us geeks and the true techno-nerd business users, is far superior. If (when) they push out an Exchange OTA client for the iPhone, I'm sure I'll be on it like a duck on a bug. WE can be as condescending as we like about the "inferior technical acumen" of the average iPhone user, but we're only fooling ourselves about the ultimate impact on Palm and the geeky WM5/6 devices we use now.
    word
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Apparently iPhones require your SSN. Have fun with that. I'll stick with my 700p.
    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-973...?tag=nefd.blog
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sasq View Post
    Apparently iPhones require your SSN. Have fun with that. I'll stick with my 700p.
    That's creepy!

Isn't the USA supposed to be that land of the free?? I'm genuinely surprised at the balance between business, state and the consumer in the US.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...

The iPod audio quality is the exact same as my 80gb iPod when connected to either my bose or JBL docks. I can't really comment on using it with headphones because i dont have the jack extender yet so i cant use my shur earbuds with it. The earbuds they ship are also a hands free unit, but they suck like all the earbuds Apple has ever shipped.

The phone's audio quality is better than my 650, best i've ever had. Bluetooth is also better than with my 650. The speaker phone is pretty loud when playing music through it, but it seems quieter when playing a voicemail through it.

Quote Originally Posted by sasq View Post
    The article mentions only needing to do that if you porting an ineligible number. I didnt have to give my SS# IIRC.
    The iPod audio quality is the exact same as my 80gb iPod when connected to either my bose or JBL docks. I can't really comment on using it with headphones because i dont have the jack extender yet so i cant use my shur earbuds with it. The earbuds they ship are also a hands free unit, but they suck like all the earbuds Apple has ever shipped.
    Good news about the line-out at least. Thanks.

I agree about Apple headphones. The ones they shipped with my Nano are quite a bit better than the previous generation (they at least have some bass) but not a patch on a decent set. I'm currently using V-Moda Vibes as my out-and-about phones and noticed that there's a new iPhone-compatible version (with mic for phone calls):

http://www.v-moda.com/collection/mod...ibe%20duo.aspx

Of course if you spend more you get better quality (for home use I have a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1s, which are spectacular imo) but the Vibes are decent and the new ones might be worth checking out if you need the hands-free functionality.

If you wanted to post how you feel about the iPhone through the Shures, I for one would be very interested to know what you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Its the treo owners and palm fanatics who take the cake as the court`s buffoons here.

The only court jesters around here are the ones who are still touting palm as a real player in the field anymore.
    And a great straw man argument.

Who here is "touting Palm as a real player in the field"? Who are these "Palm fanatics" you speak of? Does owning a Treo and merely liking it constitute membership in this rogue gang of true believers?

What about Windows Mobile? Is that OS a "real player in the field"?

It's great making an opposition that does not exist.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Good news about the line-out at least. Thanks.
    It isn't exactly line out that i have tested, its the ipod dock connector that is used with my bose and jbl docks.

If you wanted to post how you feel about the iPhone through the Shures, I for one would be very interested to know what you think.
    As soon as my local apple store restocks the belkin adapter i'll be sure to do that.
    Audio quality for music or phone calls?

For music I'd say about the same as an iPod. Plenty good enough for my ears, but I wouldn't call myself an audio expert.

For call quality, better than the 650, not as good as the 750 when using UMTS, better than the E61 (but it's been a long time since I actually owned one so this is from memory).

Update: I should also mention the audio is WORLDS better than the Treo 680. The 680 was one of the poorest smartphones audio wise I've tried in the past two years.

Last edited by bcaslis; 07/06/2007 at 05:00 PM.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Thanks. How would you say audio quality (through headphones) compares to other devices?
    Audio quality through the headphones is the best I have ever come across.
    Lock and Load!
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Actually, they seem very similar. A company takes it's bread&butter product (Palm Pilot, iPod) and adds a phone to it.

In context, wasn't the Treo 180 a significant, industry-altering deliverable (or for that matter the handspring visor phone module)?

iPhone may be the same for this generation.

Of course, iPhone has the advantage of several predecessors building the foundation on which it now stands.

(DISCLAIMER: my knowledge of smart phone history is limited, so feel free to pound my observation into powder if appropriate)

Deadd right...iPhone ahs the addvantage of predecessors...Apple didn't amke this device out of the bloody blue! They ha dplenty material to work with unlike IRm and Palm "back in the day"
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ View Post
    On Wall Street bond trades, M is still thousands and MM millions.
    Pedantics again. "m" and "M" are two different symbols..so are "mm" and "MM"...oalvarez initially used the common letter variants which are universally accepted as scientific abbreviations of measurement. And isn't this all so pointless? Let the REAL discussion continue!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast