Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Comparing this first phone with palm's first is a bit unfair. If Toyota produced a new brand of car with no AC, (but looked real nice), it'd be fair to criticize them.

The smartphone market isn't that old, but it's not brand new either. But in this case, i think Apple was very smart when deciding which features to include.

Honestly, i think its funny when i read articles saying "apple made a mistake (or oversight) with the recessed headphone plug" No, they didn't. Everything about this phone was carefully planned. Right down to the features.

No 3G? There's a reason. No games right this sec? There's a reason. Recessed headphone that makes you buy an adapter (ding ding)..there's a reason. Even choosing AT&T? It's because the rest of the big guys are trying to sell their own music.

I may poke some fun at iphone owners or talk about some limitations..but these are intentional and Apple is very smart.

About the only company that could come in and pull near a feat like this would possibly be Microsoft with an x-phone or something that thrives off the xbox ( a product nearly as cool as an ipod it seems).
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Even choosing AT&T? It's because the rest of the big guys are trying to sell their own music.
    Thats a deal breaker along with not needing a high Speed network(e.g. Sprint,Verizon) for now.
    at&t iPhone3G
    A more interesting question is how much more could Apple cut and still get the same hysterical reaction?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    A more interesting question is how much more could Apple cut and still get the same hysterical reaction?

Surur
    I suspect not much more...they cut enough and with the ignorance of the public still got the hysterical reaction.
    at&t iPhone3G
    On Wall Street bond trades, M is still thousands and MM millions.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I suspect not much more...they cut enough and with the ignorance of the public still got the hysterical reaction.
    So I guess I am ignorant because I would take an iPhone over a treo any day?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I don't know if you are or not(i.e. hopefully not)...and there is nothing bad about being ignorant. I am ignorant to many things which hinder decision making in my life that I have learned from. Something beatiful just can't be proclaimed without thought for its use. I think the iphone is great but I don't think it deserves the smartphone MO quite yet. If you purchased it as a slick sexy new phone that allows you to browse the web with email and leisure listening to music then I can relate but if you relate it to the smartphone arena at this moment, then you IMO are somewhat ignorant to what the smartphones with less beauty are capable of. If the iphone fascilitates the extent of your needs on the "smartphone" level then your good to go and none of the above matters.
    at&t iPhone3G
    You are pretty sensitive about metric units, arnt you.
    bob and weave, bob and weave....
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I am ignorant to many things which hinder decision making in my life that I have learned from. .
    and today you learned about the "secret Roman value M"

actually, you and a couple of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    and today you learned about the "secret Roman value M"

actually, you and a couple of others.
    Thanks oalvarez...and I am not ashamed of my ignorance with impunity. I learned something new today and I grasped it and would not be upset if I purchased an iphone and someone though different.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Agreed. I was and still am a huge fan of my 650, i was willing to overlook all the failings of the device because i got it configured to do what i needed it to do. But getting it to that point was a long, and expensive road. I also dont miss having to explain to someone how to use my phone/pda/software when handing them my phone. I still love my 650, but i wouldnt want to switch back to it.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe View Post
    Agreed. I was and still am a huge fan of my 650, i was willing to overlook all the failings of the device because i got it configured to do what i needed it to do. But getting it to that point was a long, and expensive road. I also dont miss having to explain to someone how to use my phone/pda/software when handing them my phone. I still love my 650, but i wouldnt want to switch back to it.
    Can you get your iphone configured to the point to do what you need out of the box? And explaining how to use your phone/pda/software to others is the result of that long extensive tech savy road that others don't understand in a device. Again, if the iphone can do all you needed as with your 650, fine. If you got an iphone for simplicity, then I can agree with it. Me, myself...I sacrifice beauty and simplicity for the short commings of the iphone for what I need it to do. I would purchase the iphone for what it is at this moment...a cool azz phone. I am pretty sure as the iphone evolves with the next release and after, it will be able to accomodate my needs and take Palms one foot off the banana peel fallowing the other into the grave.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Can you get your iphone configured to the point to do what you need out of the box?
    So far so good. It was up and running in minutes.

And explaining how to use your phone/pda/software to others is the result of that long extensive tech savy road that others don't understand in a device.
    Exactly, but part of that was how the browsers worked (or didnt) on the Treo. Many of the apps i had on my treo were single purpose, internet apps. One for phone directory lookups, one for weather, one for flight info, etc. Now it someone needs that kind of info i can hand them my phone, open safari and they can take it from there. Before i would explain "OK now go to the third tab, look for the icon that looks like a plane, click that, wait a sec for it to transfer from the card and to launch. Now type in the info and you're set!" It's just much easier now.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Well we can all moan about the iPhone's shortcoming. Here is some anecdotal evidence.

(1) I retired my 750 in favor of a Dash -- and I am happy; and

(2) my wife's 650 died today so she got an iPhone and is really happy.

As soon as the iPhone can do email properly I will probably get one.

Our house has had nothing but Treos and now we have none. Sorry, Palm.
    Palms got until Q1 2008 to produce a device to keep me with them. I will then head down Blackberry avenue if all fails. The only way I would see the iphone is if it came to Sprint(i.e.five year exclusive?) or I leave Sprint and that an't happenning.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Well we can all moan about the iPhone's shortcoming. Here is some anecdotal evidence.

(1) I retired my 750 in favor of a Dash -- and I am happy; and

(2) my wife's 650 died today so she got an iPhone and is really happy.

As soon as the iPhone can do email properly I will probably get one.

Our house has had nothing but Treos and now we have none. Sorry, Palm.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 07/06/2007 at 10:16 AM.
    Oalvarez,

No one in general business uses "m" to denote thousands. At least not in the US.

"M" is always millions, with "K" for thousands (which crept in over the years due to the prevelant use in the computer field.

As for bond traders using m and mm, that's new to me. Spent 15 years in fiancial services and never saw it.

I understand the latin/roman origins, but it's really only used at the end of the credits of movies.
    This article, which was a survey from the people standing in line, says the buyers were mostly geeks and Apple fan boys. They are not your mother (unless she was trying to flip them onto Ebay).
    They're also probably not very representative of the current iPhone-owning population. Your mother, being a sensible sort, picked one up on Saturday morning and didn't have to wait in line at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    They're also probably not very representative of the current iPhone-owning population. Your mother, being a sensible sort, picked one up on Saturday morning and didn't have to wait in line at all.
    Thats an assumption. All the people who are buying the Iphone at the moment are by definition early adopters.

Surur
    Thats an assumption. All the people who are buying the Iphone at the moment are by definition early adopters.
    My point was that there's probably a big difference between those willing to wait in line (some for many hours) and those that bought later. We're probably talking about around a million iPhone owners now, less than (at a guess) 10% of whom were queuing prior to it first being sold.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast