Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Please post all sorts of rants and blog posts from all over the internet on all things real and imagined about the awful KLUNKY WM OS.

Please no pro posts regarding WM or for that matter pro iPHONE although I know that will be hard to avoid.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    Childish thread.

But I will jump in.

- Screen resolution (I want my 320x320 or 320x640)
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Childish thread.

But I will jump in.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=255

I was scolded for hijacking a thread so I thought I should start one that I could participate in.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Childish thread.

But I will jump in.
    It ties you to Outlook as a desktop PIMı

ıAs with the iPhone, I've never used WM, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm talking bollocks.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    lol, fair enough. I'll play to show just that I can.

I have to admit it's way easier to critique a specific device than the OS itself, since so many shortcomings are in the hardware aspect (poor BT, screen, keyboard, wifi, or size, etc.) and now that OEM's are customizing WM to make it better--like Palm did (they give Sprite backup for free too), or Sprint purposefully removing MMS.

Plus it's hard to tease apart the OS from issues resulting from 3rd party apps...

But here are some

- WM6 is nice but it took too long to get to that point in the OS
    - Graphic/UI is pretty bland
    - The phone aspect could be better integrated: too many problems related to the phone/OS interacting.
    - MS BT stack is not that great
    - No HTML email in WM5 (works in WM6)
    - No "mark all as read" or "delete all" via Menus (you need to use a stylus or run a free .cab to add it)
    - No weather program (though the Touch has one)
    - It's business/enterprise focused (though, that is the point of WM)
    - Windows Media Player is weak
    - Only now focusing on one-handed use (Palm greatly helped here)
    - Still can get slow sometimes --> RAM/OEM related though
    - PIE could be better (RSS)
    - Bigger Pic Caller ID
    - Email filters
    - Hotmail/MSN/Live is weak (exception: Live Search)
    - Repeat notifications for email/SMS
    - Limited updates (fixed a bit in WM6), mostly carrier/OEM blocked
    - No IMAP IDLE support
    - Better optimized for performance/battery life
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/02/2007 at 05:03 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Childish thread.

But I will jump in.

That's OEM/hardware not OS though. WM6 supports 320x320.

See my post above for clarification.

Top and bottom bars take up too much room on the Treo's screen
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    It ties you to Outlook as a desktop PIMı

ıAs with the iPhone, I've never used WM, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm talking bollocks.
    That's a bad thing? Please advise on something better than integrates email contacts, calendar, to-do, and notes. Oh, and can search gigs of records quickly for info.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Top and bottom bars take up too much room on the Treo's screen
    More pixels mo better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That's OEM/hardware not OS though. WM6 supports 320x320.

See my post above for clarification.
    True...I'm just whining that the Treo 700wxyz is not out yet with WM6 and 320x320.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, fair enough. I'll play to show just that I can.

I have to admit it's way easier to critique a specific device than the OS itself, since so many shortcomings are in the hardware aspect (poor BT, screen, keyboard, wifi, or size, etc.) and now that OEM's are customizing WM to make it better--like Palm did (they give Sprite backup for free too), or Sprint purposefully removing MMS.

Plus it's hard to tease apart the OS from issues resulting from 3rd party apps...

But here are some

- WM6 is nice but it took too long to get to that point in the OS (Agree)
    - Graphic/UI is pretty bland (Agree)
    - The phone aspect could be better integrated: too many problems related to the phone/OS interacting. (I think this is more of a hardware issue)
    - MS BT stack is not that great (but WAY better than Palm stack)
    - No HTML email in WM5 (works in WM6) (Not important to me but I see why it's an issue)
    - No "mark all as read" or "delete all" via Menus (you need to use a stylus or run a free .cab to add it) (Never noticed that; just selected a bunch at a time and deleted)
    - No weather program (though the Touch has one) (Agendus, baby!)
    - It's business/enterprise focused (though, that is the point of WM) (Agree)
    - Windows Media Player is weak (Agree)
    - Only now focusing on one-handed use (Palm greatly helped here) (Agree)
    - Still can get slow sometimes --> RAM/OEM related though (Agree)
    - PIE could be better (RSS) (Agree)
    - Bigger Pic Caller ID (Agree)
    - Email filters (Agree)
    - Hotmail/MSN/Live is weak (exception: Live Search) (Agree; Live Search is amazing)
    - Repeat notifications for email/SMS (Not important for me)
    - Limited updates (fixed a bit in WM6), mostly carrier/OEM blocked (Agree, but blame the carrier)
    - No IMAP IDLE support (not an issue for me)
    - Better optimized for performance/battery life (Agree, but that's why there are replaceable batteries.
    My comments inline above in parens....
    It's not free...but then neither is OS X mobile or Palm OS 5..tell you waht I hate them all!

But seriously wrt device - limited resolution
    wrt WM6 - no 'X' button that will CLOSE stuff when you want to - are they mad?!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    It's not free...but then neither is OS X mobile or Palm OS 5..tell you waht I hate them all!

But seriously wrt device - limited resolution
    wrt WM6 - no 'X' button that will CLOSE stuff when you want to - are they mad?!
    Well, as more and more devices up the RAM, closing apps really becomes less and less an issue.

HTC also added an option in Settings to make "X" close on some devices.

llarsen,

We may disagree on the iPhone and WM, but i'm sure that we can agree that AOD is the bomb...I mean boomstick!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Somebody tell me if MS has finally decided to treat removeable storage cards in such a way that I can finally store email on a card (and not just attachments) and have it work reliably. The way it handles removeable media when "waking" from sleep is an absolute joke.
    There is absolutely no equivalent to Chatter on a Palm device with message storage on a card. Need immediate access to any of your thousands of messages stored in dozens of folders at any time? Your options get really limited real fast.
    1. No 5 way access to top bar specially in IE.
    2. Some programs when you type, it doesn't cap next letter after period.
    3. Graphics sucks.
    4. Built-in calculator is basic.
    Ugly GUI.

Bearing the "Windows" brand (as in, I deal with and support windows crap at work everyday, I don't want to touch it in my own time.)

Oh, and the whole mentality of "Tweaking" the registry, I hate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Somebody tell me if MS has finally decided to treat removeable storage cards in such a way that I can finally store email on a card (and not just attachments) and have it work reliably. The way it handles removeable media when "waking" from sleep is an absolute joke.
    There is absolutely no equivalent to Chatter on a Palm device with message storage on a card. Need immediate access to any of your thousands of messages stored in dozens of folders at any time? Your options get really limited real fast.
    There are registry settings you can change to store all email and attachments on your storage card. Google it and you should find plenty of websites with instructions.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    That's a bad thing?
    Bad experiences of losing important mail databases on Outlook in the past, on multiple occasions... I swore an eternal oath, long ago...

Please advise on something better than integrates email contacts, calendar, to-do, and notes. Oh, and can search gigs of records quickly for info.
    I know of nothing that does what you say now, though I keep hoping Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning/Calendar Project will fit the bill soon. For the moment I use a separate email client and Palm Desktop (which has the advantage of being synchronisable between multiple PCs, which happens to be important to me - with Outlook, I'd need Exchange or some unsupported fiddle).
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    There are registry settings you can change to store all email and attachments on your storage card. Google it and you should find plenty of websites with instructions.
    Been there! Done that! Got the bruises from banging by head against a wall to prove it. 6 personal WinMob devices and a bunch of others in support of work later.... Registry hacks and card swaps (to Kingston in particular) still do not totally elliminate the problems. WinMob filesystem treats "removeable" storage in such a way that it will often not be able to read a card's contents reliably when "waking". As a result data corruptions and all sorts of crashes/corruptions occur when trying to run email from a card on WinMob devices. This is from Microsoft and has been confirmed repeatedly. Even the maker of the number one 3rd-party email app for the platform does not support the storage of mail on cards. Syncing your local outlook is one thing. Active OTA, POP and IMAP results are something else.
    Google it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast