Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I make no claim that it works well. I simply pointed out that it is possible. Whether its PalmOS or WM, I wouldn't trust my mail storage on the SD card.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Somebody tell me if MS has finally decided to treat removeable storage cards in such a way that I can finally store email on a card (and not just attachments) and have it work reliably. The way it handles removeable media when "waking" from sleep is an absolute joke.
    There is absolutely no equivalent to Chatter on a Palm device with message storage on a card. Need immediate access to any of your thousands of messages stored in dozens of folders at any time? Your options get really limited real fast.
    Read why here: link

Once again, this has less to do with the OS than with OEM considerations on internal storage. Had you had enough internal memory, using external storage would be a lot less important. Newer devices are coming with 256mb of ROM and that will only go up. Remember, at the end of the day MS/OEM cater to the standard user, not the niche one who has extrodinary demands for email storage.

Furthermore, with WM6/Exchange Search, you can search and retrieve all past email directly on the server, which negates having to keep thousands of emails on your device. Or...get a Foleo

Even assuming you could use external storage, it is slow and not efficient to use for databases.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I am pretty sure the storage card issues are fixed in WM6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    I am pretty sure the storage card issues are fixed in WM6.
    I dont think so. I think cards have just become faster, which has solved the problem of cards not being initialized fast enough. Under pocketpc the cards gets switched of completely when the device suspends, which is obviously asking for trouble when it comes to push e-mail.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    That's a bad thing? Please advise on something better than integrates email contacts, calendar, to-do, and notes. Oh, and can search gigs of records quickly for info.
    Why on only ONE computer though?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree with those who say that the interfaces need to be more attractive. I don't think they're ugly but they're a bit industrial looking, as if it's just all work and no play on WM.

Also, WM needs to manage memory WAY better than it has so far! I think WM6 has better management, from what I read. Not sure though since I'm still on 5.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The real question is why WM devices have so little memory?

Where's the 512K, 1GB and 2GB devices? It's not like memory isn't cheap.
    Don't confuse storage and RAM. The memory that needs management is the RAM, due to multi-tasking. 128 MB ram in the newest high-end devices should solve all memory problems.

There are a few WM devices with 1-2 GB rom. Unsurprisingly Palm does not make them.

Surur
    Surur,

This where we will disagree.

128MB should solve all problems".

Remind me of the qoute that no one would need more than 64K in a computer.

RAM is RAM and storage is storage.

More of both is better, because I always find use for it.
    True, but with RAM there is a trade-off between size and battery life. 128 MB ram uses twice as much current as 64 to keep alive, and 256 MB 4 times as much. This would have a drastic impact on standby time (where its only the radio, processor to a small degree and RAM which is drawing current).

Anyway, more ram= good, but only to a point.

Extra flash dont draw any extra current, so thats OK.

Surur
    A good bt stack would definitely be nice, and a better ui to access all of your programs quicker. Media player that supports more file types, and a more robust calendar app.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Malatesta;1301316]Read why here: link

Furthermore, with WM6/Exchange Search, you can search and retrieve all past email directly on the server, which negates having to keep thousands of emails on your device. Or...get a Foleo
    QUOTE]

I don't use Exchange for my offices and have no desire to in the future. And of course there are benefits of access to data without having to be online to get it. One of the industries we work with tends to have manufacturing plants out in the middle of the woods - literally. Our sales people don't want to depend on a cell phone signal to retrieve an email they know they received. I know the scenario doesn't conform to the typical user; but, that's what made/makes Chatter, an SD Card and the Palm OS so special to us.
    A few slight changes to the Foleo, a Citrix client and a successfull test of the VPN and that's what all are sales people will get. No more laptops for sales people! Hurray! (Anyone who has had to support remote/mobile non-tech-savvy people will understand.)
    I got my Sprint Mogul/6800 delivered today. Ugh. It's been a while since I've had a WM device. My last one was the PPC-6700 (the Mogul's predecessor), which I returned within the 2-week trial period. I disliked that for many reasons, a couple of which were fixed with the Mogul, but for some reason this feels worse to me. It just feels so cumbersome to have to navigate through menus, push several different hard buttons to do common things, etc. I actually bought it with the idea that I'd use my .NET skills and passion for usability to create some neat applications and maybe make some money, but my first day has been such a let-down that I'm not sure I can stand to keep it.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12