1. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    When I got home from work today, I had a note from UPS on my door indicating that I received a package from Sony and it was left at my apartment's rental office -- but the rental office closed 5 minutes before I got home!!! Is it possible that they are already shipping some of the Clie-N710C units? I know they said that they might be shipping as late as the 28th, but I certainly haven't ordered anything else from Sony, so unless they are sending me a free gift for no reason, I can't think of what else this might be. How aggravating to have to wait until morning to find out if I really received it!
    At least it wasn't Fri. night or something & they don't open on the wknd., so you'd have to wait 'till Mon. morning.
    But then you could prob. sue for cruelty / torture!
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    Check your credit card for recent transactions. See if you were charged by SONY yet. If not, then it's not a CLIE. Maybe they sent you a free gift. I had the same experience with APPLE. One day, the UPS driver shows up with a tube containing two iMac posters, which I never ordered.

Not to bum you out, but don't count on a shiny new CLIE being delivered tomorrow.
    Aw man, that sucks!! Can't believe that you have to wait until morning to find out what your surprise is!! Wow, if Sony IS shipping, Rob you could be the first one in the US to own the N710C...sleepless night my friend...sleepless night.

Or...you can fake a fire at you apt's office...

Hey!! can't you track the package? UPS usually has a tracking # right? You can find out where it came from at least.
    Fat's
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I checked the UPS site...

<rant>Did you know that UPS now requires you to register for an account before you can track shipments??? !@#%!(#$)&%@)(#$^!!!! What a waste of time! At least I gave them a bogus e-mail account they could send their spam to! </rant>

...anyway, the package is definitely from Sony. However, it just occurred to me that I had ordered a MemoryStick with the Clie. I thought it said that they would all ship in one shipment, but I could be wrong. Now that I think about it, it's probably the MemoryStick. (but I checked my credit card online and didn't see any transaction from Sony...wouldn't they at least charge for the MemoryStick, or do they wait and charge for the wholet thing only after the last piece is sent? How does amazon do this?)

I'll let you know when I find out tomorrow.

Update: I just re-read the tracking details more carefully and noticed this: "Weight: .10 Lb". I guess that settles it.

Sorry for the false alarm...
    Originally posted by Rob
    Update: I just re-read the tracking details more carefully and noticed this: "Weight: .10 Lb". I guess that settles it.
    I had no idea the Clié was that light. Now that's a feature worth bragging about.
    Here's another way to get your Sony package:

Call the apt's answering service:

Answering Service (AS)"Hello, ____apts."

You: "Yeah, hi, my name is Rob and I live in apt#---."

AS: "How may we help you?"

You: "Uh...yeah...well you see ...I'm a diabetic, and I ordered some insulin to be ship to me, but I got home too late to receive the package... so UPS left it in the office."

AS: "Oh really?"

You: "Yeah, I think I'm running out of insulin. Could you call your maintance person and tell him/her to let me in the office?"

AS: "Is it an emergency?"

You: "I think so...I had a carving for ice cream tonight and I think I went overboard."

AS: "Oh OK, I'll call the maintance person right now."

There!!! Problem solved!!!

Episode #2
    Maintance: "Did you get you package?"

You: "Uh...yeah..."

Maintance: "Why does you insulin package labled 'SONY'?"

You: "Uh...well...that's the way the drug company ship their drugs. They didn't put their name on the package to prevent 'druggies' from opening their packages." heh heh..

Maintance: "Oh Ok...that's smart I guess." "Well, goodnight."

You: "Good night!!" and Hello...Clie PEG-N710C!!!

I'm so devious, I scare myself at times!!
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 05/03/2001 at 09:56 PM.
    Fat's
    oops, I was too busy with my evil scheme, I didn't read the last three post. So I guess you got the memory stick.

OK...time to put away the horns and pitch-fork and bring out the halo again.

What size of a stick did you get? I guess you could use the included 8MB stick as a system back-up...pretty cool.
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 05/03/2001 at 10:00 PM.
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    Here's another way to get your Sony package:

Call the apt's answering service:

Answering Service (AS)"Hello, ____apts."

As much I as I don't want to say this situation occuring in real life is funny.

In this particular case, and living in a condo unit... I could help but belt out laughing in the office... still find that funny.
  10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Well, it looks like I was right...I only got the 64MB MemoryStick. As a consolation prize, however, I was able to pick up the last m505 at my local Office Depot.
    Originally posted by Rob
    Well, it looks like I was right...I only got the 64MB MemoryStick. As a consolation prize, however, I was able to pick up the last m505 at my local Office Depot.
    You got the m505? That's great! You have to tell us what you think about the screen. And how fast the thing is with benchmark.

I think that I've narrowed it down to two unit, the m505 and the SC2. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to get the SC2, but I do like the seekness of the m505.
    Fat's
  12. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts

You got the m505? That's great! You have to tell us what you think about the screen. And how fast the thing is with benchmark.

I think that I've narrowed it down to two unit, the m505 and the SC2. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to get the SC2, but I do like the seekness of the m505.
    I don't know about the 'seekness', but it sure is sexy!
    While I understand why others are complaining about the screen, I think that is really just a knee-jerk reaction to the reduced brightness when compared to the Prism or IIIc. After using it for a while, I think that it's really much easier on the eyes than the Prism. It's not just that it is less bright (reducing eye strain) than the Prism at high brightness levels, but the background is somehow more white than the Prism at the lowest brightness levels (I don't know how to explain it, but I've showed the two side-by-side to several friends, and they agree) I think that the m505 is much better for reading e-books than the Prism (both because of the screen and the form factor/weight), but the Prism is probably better for showing off photos indoors because you can really crank up the brightness and show off all the awesome colors (of course, outdoors the m505 is the only way to go -- and photos look more 'realistic' because of the nonreflective screen - backlighting photos on the Prism gives them a more computerized look)

I haven't done any benchmarks yet, but it seems really quick and responsive -- in fact, auto-moving apps from the card seems faster than I remembered with the m500, but I may just be imagining that.
    Rob try this!!

This is from palminfocenter:

A leaked internal memo from Technical Support at Palm has appeared on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot. It covers how to manually increase the contrast on the new m505 to the same level as the Visor Prism's at the cost of decreasing battery life by about 35%. This system hack does not work with U.S.-made m505s, only on ones from Hungary.
    Do this at your own risk. Any errors made in entry of the contrast initialization string may result in an endless loop reset. Most Palm Tech Support personnel haven't yet heard of this system hack and at this point they don't support it or suggest it be used.

Here are the instructions:

HotSync to ensure all databases are backed up
    Open up Memo Pad and write, "ESC.<0975$6IA
    Save memo and move it to top of Memo list
    Soft reset
    Open saved memo, details, change to "Private"
    Soft reset
    Open up Memo Pad and write, CONTR.>75319$C/A6/R L_gosub
    Save memo and then delete first memo
    Soft reset
    A soft reset is performed by simply using the reset pin under the top of the stylus to press the reset button on the back of the Palm. Do not use a hard reset, which involves holding down the power button.
    Several readers have reported that this does work and improves the screen markedly. It is not yet known if this can be undone, though possibly a hard reset might work.

See if this works?!?!? Hope your m505 is from Hungary!! What's up with that? This is kinda like the "SG manuver" to adjust the contrast of the Prism.

Update: there's was apparently an error in the sequence above: ESC.<0975$6IA instead of "ESC.<0975$6IA, check with Palminfocenter 'cause I really don't know which is right.
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 05/05/2001 at 04:55 PM.
    Fat's
  14. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Rob try this!!

See if this works?!?!? Hope your m505 is from Hungary!! What's up with that? This is kinda like the "SG manuver" to adjust the contrast of the Prism.
    I posted this the same time you did.
    I unfortunately have a unit made in the U.S.A., so this won't work for me. But I'm interested to hear how this works for others (maybe I should go look for demo units in retail stores to see if there's one I can hack)