Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    always good to see how the other side thinks too:

had both phones activated in less than 2 minutes each

my activation took just a few minutes

No problems, Sync'd fine, no issues with AT&T.

activating it was just like the Tour showed and took only about 5 minutes

1. Activation took no more than 2 minutes.

Activation was trivial and flawless

It was SO easy to activate

my phone was working 3-5min after activation process was complete.

i think you get the point
    What we have here is a non-argument..the OP simply tried to show up a fallacy (originally stated by archie I think) that the iPhone could never crash with it's perfection of technology...

But the fact is the iPhone is not the messiah (as some fashion it, jokingly or serious who knows ppl nowadays?) and like ALL devices out there with a CPU it can and has crash..and more than once. Nothing to do with whether it is the best or worst phone out there. I'm glad that yours hasn't though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    This is my first ever Apple product. I'd hardly call that an "enthusiast." My home is full of MSFT products (typing this on my Vista laptop). Crashing sw is a fact of life for me. I'm immune to it. It is strange, however, to have something that actually hasn't locked up or crashed on me. Kinda cool, you know?

EDIT: BTW, as I submitted this post, IE7 on Vista crashed, automaticially re-started (does this many times a day). Oh the irony! Haha.
    Unless you are a beta tester why are your boxes constantly crashing? Why are you putting up with it?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    What we have here is a non-argument..the OP simply tried to show up a fallacy (originally stated by archie I think) that the iPhone could never crash with it's perfection of technology...

But the fact is the iPhone is not the messiah (as some fashion it, jokingly or serious who knows ppl nowadays?) and like ALL devices out there with a CPU it can and has crash..and more than once. Nothing to do with whether it is the best or worst phone out there. I'm glad that yours hasn't though.
    shall i paste for you some commentary from people who do think it's the "messiah" as you put it?

the activation comments were to assuage those who might be concerned about it. all we read (or what is posted) around here are the negatives and it's good to see the positive side of things from time to time.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    So 50% of activations went off without a hitch?!?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    shall i paste for you some commentary from people who do think it's the "messiah" as you put it?
    Not on your iPhone, you can't.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    This is my first ever Apple product. I'd hardly call that an "enthusiast." My home is full of MSFT products (typing this on my Vista laptop). Crashing sw is a fact of life for me. I'm immune to it. It is strange, however, to have something that actually hasn't locked up or crashed on me. Kinda cool, you know?

EDIT: BTW, as I submitted this post, IE7 on Vista crashed, automaticially re-started (does this many times a day). Oh the irony! Haha.
    Perhaps you should use firefox, that 3rd party app. Or are you pretending its an iphone?
    Tirk...that line "not (pasting) from your iPhone" was classic!
    oh brother.....

bcaslis, you made the right decision.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve

the activation comments were to assuage those who might be concerned about it. all we read (or what is posted) around here are the negatives and it's good to see the positive side of things from time to time.

But that's my point.. no one should think a device will REALLY improve their life! If they do well I'm int he wrong crowd! I like my treo but it's a device and if one day someone blows up the internet (literally I wonder if that can happen) what then? As a few ppl online at media sites ahve said..int he end it's just a phone! Ppl aer maybe becoming too insular..I'd rather spend all that time with my wife than have a phone neticing enough to make me nto do that! And that media hype makes me sick (and this is separate and apart fromt eh iPhone itself - the hype is sickening to me personally). I felt hte same way about the PS3 though!

As to your activation comments I'm not sure what you're talking about. Just think that ppl are spinning the phone as either too positive or too negative..what I see is another device, perhaps a good one, but not or me until a few things (what I call flaws because they don't meet up to what I've gotten used to) are changed/improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Unless you are a beta tester why are your boxes constantly crashing? Why are you putting up with it?

Surur
    That's a wonderful question. Why is the current production version of IE crashing on Vista? I don't run beta software. I wish I knew why it was crashing, but it happens quite often.

Any tips?
    That's a wonderful question. Why is the current production version of IE crashing on Vista? I don't run beta software. I wish I knew why it was crashing, but it happens quite often.

Any tips?
    Use another browser?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Use another browser?

Surur
    I used IE because I thought it was a quality MSFT product. Plus, it synched my bookmarks with my PPC's.

...why should I have to use another browser? tee-hee.

BTW, it just, and I mean JUST happened again:

Managed to grab a quick screenshot:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I used IE because I thought it was a quality MSFT product.
    Sarcasm ill besuits you

Surur
    Wow, it sure seems most TC users want the iPhone to fail. It is like some you guys/gals are jumping at the chance to dog it.

I personally have owned both, and for my needs, the iPhone is the clear winner.

But, I think there is a market for both phones. I think Apple did the Treo users a favor by making palm think about innovating. It has been over 10 years since they have. It took Sony going to color and hi res to get Palm moving the last time. Competition is a good thing...

Go check out the iPhone in person, I am willing to bet that most of you would be really impressed. I am a gadget guy and I am absolutely floored by my iPhone. With that being said, we need real 3rd party apps, copy and paste for Heaven's sake, 3G (even though Edge is actually not that bad, suprisingly), expansion slots (not going to happen), keyboard in rotate mode, besides on Safari, etc.

But, I love mine and I sold my Treo. But, for the ones that are saying that Palm is dad, they are crazy. And, for the ones saying the iPhone sucks, yada, yada, are just as crazy...
    No one is saying the iPhone sucks.

All the "detractors" admit that it is slick, sexy and cool, and does certain things well.

The point is that the iPhone was overhyped, and therefore disappoints on several fronts.

It's amazing the iPologists don't see this.

As for moving from the Treo to the iPhone, good for you and I hope it does everything you need.

We all may see you when it the new rev or two of the iPhone is released in 2008.
    I used IE because I thought it was a quality MSFT product. Plus, it synched my bookmarks with my PPC's.

...why should I have to use another browser? tee-hee.

BTW, it just, and I mean JUST happened again:

Managed to grab a quick screenshot:
    I never get that notice on IE 7 for XP. But Vista uses LOTS of memory, so maybe that's the reason? You may need more memory.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by nospleen View Post
    Wow, it sure seems most TC users want the iPhone to fail. It is like some you guys/gals are jumping at the chance to dog it.

But, I think there is a market for both phones. I think Apple did the Treo users a favor by making palm think about innovating. It has been over 10 years since they have. It took Sony going to color and hi res to get Palm moving the last time. Competition is a good thing...

Go check out the iPhone in person, I am willing to bet that most of you would be really impressed. I am a gadget guy and I am absolutely floored by my iPhone. With that being said, we need real 3rd party apps, copy and paste for Heaven's sake, 3G (even though Edge is actually not that bad, suprisingly), expansion slots (not going to happen), keyboard in rotate mode, besides on Safari, etc.

But, I love mine and I sold my Treo. But, for the ones that are saying that Palm is dad, they are crazy. And, for the ones saying the iPhone sucks, yada, yada, are just as crazy...
    I never wanted it to fail. Just wondered about usability. I saw the iPhone. It's certainly cool and stylish with a great screen and build. That I can actually use it for my needs(besides after-work partying) remains to be seen. I still wish they'd release a non phone version as the new video iPod. THAT I can use!

And Palm won't innovate anymore, whatever anyone else does. Instead of trying to meet the challenge, all Colligan is supposed to have said is he expects revenue loss. But he had to know about the iPhone since at least January, so he had time to propose a wow project of his own. Instead we get the Foleo as the big announcement from Palm in the same time frame as the iPhone coming out.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And Palm won't innovate anymore, whatever anyone else does. Instead of trying to meet the challenge, all Colligan is supposed to have said is he expects revenue loss. But he had to know about the iPhone since at least January, so he had time to propose a wow project of his own. Instead we get the Foleo as the big announcement from Palm in the same time frame as the iPhone coming out.
    Well, Palm is actually bound by carrier contracts, so they cannot announce any devices, no matter how banal or revolutionary they are.

For all we know, they are making an 800w which is a re-branded 750w or it's a completely different "innovative" device.

Until Carrier X gives the go-ahead after 4+ months of approval, we just won't know. I still think they have some tricks up their sleeves, but until we see the next device, who knows?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by nospleen View Post

I don't hate the iPhone...but I hate Apple's recent strategy (last 2 yrs) of half-truths and hyperbolics aimed to the mass consumer who doesn't know everything . an exampe - Mac being better than PCs..how can this be when they are both hardware and PCs are usually better and cheaper? They tie OS X to Mac (limit choice) and portray that it is the same with the Windows to PC (despite Linux etc) and frankly the kind of demeaning ads that are pervasive in the US (taking other ppls products and belittling them) rubs me wrong - it doesn't happen here in the Caribbean. It's unethical though it is legal (was it always?).

I see the iPhone as limited not because of a few things on the device but because of the deal AT&T and Apple made - Apple wanted too much control and AT&T wanted everybody else's customers. If Apple had made this device carrier free, locked vs unlocked and cheaper I would right now be the proud owner of one (at cheaper price I can accept some fo the omissions). But at that price range it's too expensive for what it lacks and the fact that I don't even live in the US means it's a no-no unless they unlock it and then I'll prolly have to pay twice the price!

I just think that the whole "package" - iPhone which was intentionally limited and locked network - was not the best they could give us, and the hyperbole of what it is, plus all the hype turned me off. I could egt one now and it could do all ppl claim I would still not buy one until it becomes freer and more flexible for that money.

Hence, while I AM glad they upped the GUI of phones in general and waked competition up. Unless other phone companies are total idiots and do not act, and unless the other carriers become bankrupt and I have no choice I won't be one of the ppl that takes such a restricted package to use as my daily tool (and we do have AT&T here).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12