Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Played with one for a couple of hours today. First impression: this is one SERIOUSLY COOL DEVICE. The screen is magnificent. The web browser is absolutely fun (especially expanding and shrinking the size by literally squeezing or spreading apart your fingers!). The smooth scrolling is UNBELIEVABLE. The device itself is the most aesthetically beautiful gadget I think I have laid eyes on. Overall: Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!

THAT BEING SAID, the reason I did not buy one is because the screen keyboard is absolutely unacceptable next to my "clunky" old 700p. Period. End of story. Believe me, I WANTED the iPhone keyboard to do it for me. But man, after two hours, no matter how proficient you get, it is just too easy to make mistakes and you are constantly backspacing.

Again, beautiful device. But now I know ANY device I own will have a full qwerty keyboard. Period. Just can't go back from the real keys.

Two more cents I just have to throw in: if at all possible, don't listen to a darn thing people say (not even me). Get your hands on the thing and find out for yourself if it works for you or not. I went in, drooled over it for a long time. When it finally wore off (and it never really completely wore off - it's too beautiful), the reality set in. No matter how fast I get typing on this thing, it will not be half the speed I get on a real thumboard.

Play with it yourself. It really is gorgeous.
    The corrective text feature didn't work?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    maybe it was the lack of touch feedback...still sounds weird to use a phone w/o keys all day all the time..will have to try it asap.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The corrective text feature didn't work?
    Yes, it worked. But it wasn't enough to match the real keyboard, and by a long shot. If it was anywhere close, I could justify it. But it really is nowhere close. I couldn't get even half of my normal speed on the screen keyboard because of the constant backspacing. The word correction works but hardly puts a ding on the overall speed, unfortunately.

Again, I cannot stress enough that you have to try it for yourself to see. But the other people around me (we have an Apple store here in Miami) were all getting the same results. The typing just doesn't cut it.

(Have I mentioned how beautiful the device is, though?)
    Pretty, popular, and useless.

Sorta like Paris Hilton.

I agree is looks slick.
    lol
    That's a low blow, MikeC!! It's nowhere near as annoying!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'd say useless is a good word for Palm at this point.

"useless" could just as easily have been another codename for their recent foleo gaffe.

I laugh when I hear all the negativity towards the iphone here, because in a few years, apple will have eaten palm's lunch as well as that of a number of other competing companies.

This is apple's FIRST phone. How long did it take the treo or the generations of windows mobile hog devices to reach somewhat acceptable levels?

Please.
    Not with it's restrictions, sorry. Europe will not somach the restrictions they allowed here for some unknown reason! And cell phones are a global market!

On your other point, Palm isn't useless, but they are clueless to the fact that they need to break out of their mold to get more business. The next Treo is barely an upgrade of the last one. No reason to get another one. Foleo, well no comment. See them in the Foleo sub-forum.

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post

Sorta like Paris Hilton.

I agree is looks slick.
    How I irrationally hate that woman! I assume this story is running outside the UK too?

(Though I can't find that fixed pout "pretty" in any way).
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    ... I laugh when I hear all the negativity towards the iphone here.
    All the "negativity"? Are we reading the same post? I think I made it clear that I loved the iPhone, but appreciate my Treo more now because of its unmatched keyboard.

Maybe Apple could come up with some sort of half-way concept like the surface toward the bottom area having very slightly raised "bubbles" in the glass over the screen keys to give some tactile feedback needed for better typing.

At any rate, can we please keep the post on topic and not call constructive criticism "negativity"? I don't believe I ever slammed the iphone. On the contrary, I couldn't praise the gadget more in spite of my reservation.
    the keyboard works just fine and is not a compromise like a slideout is. i hope to use it more and report on it later today.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    the keyboard works just fine and is not a compromise like a slideout is. i hope to use it more and report on it later today.
    I dont think a slide out is a compromise as you still have the onscreen keyboard. Besides what are you going to say when iphone v2 comes out with a slide out?

edit: actually v2 will have three models. 1) softkeyboard, 2) qwerty thumb pad ala Palm,RIM, 3) slide out ala mogul, 6600 etc
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post

"useless" could just as easily have been another codename for their recent foleo gaffe.

I laugh when I hear all the negativity towards the iphone here, because in a few years, apple will have eaten palm's lunch as well as that of a number of other competing companies.

This is apple's FIRST phone. How long did it take the treo or the generations of windows mobile hog devices to reach somewhat acceptable levels?

Please.
    Are you kidding? Without the previous innovations of companies like Palm, Apple wouldn't even know where to start, much less what was missing from the mobile market! How did IBM know what ppl wanted ina PC if others like Sun and Apple hadn't made other products like teh Newton before? There is little original innovation nowadays - ppl examine the market and fill in the gaps.

With the iPhone the GUI is the real innovation here as they decided they would port their OS X to a phone rather than cripple it ala other companies - apple has been watching phone sfor a long time and noting the improvements. without the groundwork of others like RIM, SE, nokia and Palm there would be no iPhone for you to drool over!
    Apple first phone...also the most hyped phone in history, claiming to be 5 years ahead and super stable.

Live by the hype, die by the hype.

Even it is rock solid, the glaring gaps in functionality are disappointing.

It's the best video ipod released to date...but as for a "smartphone", that's just not the case.
    Apple first phone...also the most hyped phone in history, claiming to be 5 years ahead and super stable.

Live by the hype, die by the hype.

Even it is rock solid, the glaring gaps in functionality are disappointing.

It's the best video ipod released to date...but as for a "smartphone", that's just not the case.
    I have read all the posts, all the threads.

I've used palm / handspring / palmone / palm for more than 10 years so jumping ship is not without some bruises.

I have lots to say on why I left and why I like the iphone even though I've initially lost functionality and apps. But here are a few words.

The phone was released less than 2 weeks ago. There was a lot of hype. We live in a society that thrives on hype. But still, the technology is more solid than any Treo I ever owned...and I have owned them all. Are people really complaining because it isn't perfect? And, OMG, where is all the software? And, OMG, after 2 weeks its STILL not there? Palm software is there because we are on version x of the Treo. I wish they had more software too. But I know that it will get better. And I can wait. The iphone I have is better than the treo with the battery that is at 94% after it charges for 10 hours in its cradle and down to 79% 1 hour later after listening to ptunes and down to 10% after 6 more hours of intermittant use. And crash after crash after crash. No more.

Do we all forget complaining about the first 600, the first 650, the first 680? WHEN will we get the updates? 100's of crashes later, we got them.

I went and bought one. I can wait for the updates. I can wait for the additional software.

I like the phone. Its my first apple product...ever! never even owned an ipod. If you can't wait, don't. Keep the treo until the iphone gets some more software. Meanwhile, where is the treo going? Foleo?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Oh no, our iPhone threads are getting political now. Just what we need.

I can absolutely fly on the iphone keyboard. The key is not looking at what your typing. Just look at the keyboard. The iphone will fix your mistakes, and it works very well.

Sorta like Paris Hilton.

I agree is looks slick.
    As opposed to Ugly, fat, and unreliable.

Sorta like Rosie.
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 07/09/2007 at 05:53 PM.
    Lock and Load!
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    As opposed to Ugly, fat, and unreliable.

Sorta like Rosie.
    You had to say the "R" word.

Now I have to clean the puke up off the floor.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast