Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just received a call from Sprint Sales offering me the BB 8830. I had called last week on when the phone would be available. I will order it later today!
    Yep saw it on Engadget:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/03/s...world-edition/

Anybody throwing away their crappy 700p's for it?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yep saw it on Engadget:

I am going to try the 8830 for a while. The Tech support is (pre sales questions) easy to get too and they seemed to know the answers. The lady said that it will notify me when a call comes in while I am on the internet. We will see!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I am going to try the 8830 for a while. The Tech support is (pre sales questions) easy to get too and they seemed to know the answers. The lady said that it will notify me when a call comes in while I am on the internet. We will see!
    That's nothing new, so does the 700p. Thats a feature of EVDO, rather than the 8830. When on the older 1xRTT network, it'll revert to going directly to voicemail.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That's nothing new, so does the 700p. Thats a feature of EVDO, rather than the 8830. When on the older 1xRTT network, it'll revert to going directly to voicemail.
    thanks for the information, since I am roaming most of the time on EVDO, I have been missing some calls. Will the BB 8830 do the same thing (go directly to voice mail?)
    no camera on ANY phone .much less a smartphone in the year 2007 is something I can't overlook. No dice for me.
    I hear buzz of CDMA version of the Curve. If Palm doesn't deliver by years end, and the Curve comes to Sprint, that is where I am heading. The 8830 doesn't have a camera and I like having a camera. The Curve is slightly smaller and has a sleeker form factor also. I don't know if the extra size of the 8830 is for accomodating the SIM card so may be a sleeker Curve world phone for CDMA may not become a reality unless it will be CDMA only.
    at&t iPhone3G
    If one gets a Sprint BB, will the normal $15 vision plan be enough or are you forced to get a BB data plan which i think runs $35 by itself?

Not that i would get a BB, but i was just curious.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    If one gets a Sprint BB, will the normal $15 vision plan be enough or are you forced to get a BB data plan which i think runs $35 by itself?

Not that i would get a BB, but i was just curious.
    You can use the normal $15 Vision. You won't be able to take advantage of the good O'l push with BBConnect.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I would like to know more abt that. If I use BES, I can stick with my $15 power vision plan? Now I would just need to find out how to add BB international roaming and get a phone without a new plan (I am not eligible for any discounts).
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    You can use the normal $15 Vision. You won't be able to take advantage of the good O'l push with BBConnect.
    Are you sure? I hang out at sprintusers and I have never heard of anyone having a BB w/o the BB plan ($40/mo). If might work without it, but apparently Sprint will not let you have a phone w/o th plan. Now I have heard of folks getting a better deal on the plan due to the change in service - 10-15% off. If you know of someone who has just the Powervision plan with a BB, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yep saw it on Engadget:

i have a 680 on t-mo and an 8830 on verizon.

the 8830 is way better than the suretype 7703e (?), but it still wont replace my 680.

for what i use it for, the 680 fits my needs more.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I hear buzz of CDMA version of the Curve. If Palm doesn't deliver by years end, and the Curve comes to Sprint, that is where I am heading. The 8830 doesn't have a camera and I like having a camera. The Curve is slightly smaller and has a sleeker form factor also. I don't know if the extra size of the 8830 is for accomodating the SIM card so may be a sleeker Curve world phone for CDMA may not become a reality unless it will be CDMA only.
    I'm with ya 100%. Even if Palm comes out with an 800w by the end of the year, it looks like an ALP version won't be until 2008 (my guess 2Q08). That's probably too long for me to wait - especially if it's a repeat of the 700p experience.

If a GSM+CDMA Curve came out, it would replace both my Sprint/700p and E62 (for company secure email). Otherwise, the Curve would at least be a huge improvement over the E62 plus give me A2DP and a 2M camera. The one downside is the Curve doesn't record video, so I'm hoping some developer comes out with a Treo650 MovieRec type of app like RyanRife did. I'd probably also have to learn to live without SlingPlayer since it sounds like the BBs don't have the horsepower to run it (not to mention it only supports EDGE).
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    Felipe - on paper the 8830 is pretty equal to the 680 (except for the camera of course). Just curious - how does the 680 fits your needs better?
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    i have a 680 on t-mo and an 8830 on verizon.

the 8830 is way better than the suretype 7703e (?), but it still wont replace my 680.

I have to agree. There are many little things that the Treo has and functions it can do that can be taken for granted until you use another device. With the Sprint version of the 8830 being able to be totally unlocked to use any sim card/network though for me is great and made the deal.
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Felipe - on paper the 8830 is pretty equal to the 680 (except for the camera of course). Just curious - how does the 680 fits your needs better?
    lack of camera, doesnt even come into consideration. I rarely use the treo camera.

3 small things that make a difference to me: touch screen, playing video, and the interface.
    Felipe
    Playing video because of limited codecs available or is it just underpowered for video?
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Playing video because of limited codecs available or is it just underpowered for video?

it wont do divx and such, same as the treo. went looking for convertors and found a couple of free ones.

the files would not play on the BB. i guess they just convert files to play better on the bb.

since i use kinoma producer to convert the same files to play on my treo, i tried the files on the bb.

most, but not all play. some will play, but then stop and sometimes crash the bb. why would it play some files and not others?

and the real pisser is that the bb wont remember where you stopped playing it. when you go back into the app, you have to play from the beginning and then scroll to where you think you left off.

it the file plays through, it is a fine experience.
    Felipe
    Crashing part way through sounds like either some bad conversion or a bug in the player. Not remembering where it stopped is ridiculous.

I'll have to borrow a coworkers and experiment some myself.
    Just saw this today. My 650 is becoming to slow, and I want to upgrade to an EV-DO phone. Saw the 8830 on Sprint's website and I am very tempted to pull the trigger on it. I don't need a camera, in fact doing government contracting it becomes a PITA anyway. Looks like it will play MP3s fine, and it is a world phone, and cheaper than the 755p. Palm Apps are also becoming less and less available now, and the Palm OS is so outdated now since it doesn't multitask. This looks like a great phone. I really don't want a windows based Palm either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast