Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    ^ if you want to be a ref, great, but try and be fair. "most buyers are in love with the GUI rather than functionality?"

c'mon my friend....would you like me to paste commentary to the contrary? there are hundreds upon hundreds of posts at macrumors from people who are absolutely ecstatic with the iphone's functionality. yes, they love the GUI as well as do i.
    Well if you're on the iPhone I wouldn't challenge you as you wouldn't be able to cut & paste - but I'll leave that to you and surur as I just have to read and get the gist. It's hard to poll a forum anyway so how do you get figures to compare?

Seriously though, from all the reviews on Macrumors.com, everythingiphone ppl are impressed with how the device itself looks and the GUI (which has equated to them to ease of use and fluidity, no lags when working, fluid movements between screens etc). I'll let you finish that list as many ppl didn't seem to expound except to say i love this (again not sure if the same ones then return 2 hrs alter with problems - the treo 680 forum was much like this in the first 3 weeks - love & hate).

FUNCTIONS are where ppl are getting irritated - no disk mode, BT malfunctions, freezes/crashes here and there (esp Google maps and safari), probs syncing with iCal and iTunes only using playlists, no drag and drop, no pic saving on webpages or email (pic has to remain in email), no video (once again some never read this b4 buying it seems), no syncing of the phones to-do list, probs with mail app settings (yes it can get complex too as ppl have problems with gmail downloading), battery issues (as with all Li it seems to need cycling to get full charge and they seem to have battery drain in several cases), no cut & paste, no right-mouse clicking for options (wonder why this surprised ppl unless they don't own Macs - windows users?), low speakerphone volumes and the list goes on.

All in all what I expect for any new device and it's nice to know that in 5 yrs time (when this device was made and ported back through the bunny hole) we'll still have these problems...we are after all only human and not jesus

TBH oalvarez maybe if the fans stop portraying this phone as the messiah you'd see less posts from me pointing out the flaws (and as the media has hyped it what I do cna only be balancing it esp as I admdit to the good side too). i don't have a problem with the device itself - it's the creator and his legions that turn me off! I've used Macs and PCs since the late 90s and why would I or should I choose between them? They have their pluses and minuses.

Now maybe MSFT are the big bad wolf but they rarely get in you face and say or show it. Apple is a bit too arrogant and despite me loving their products (I'm saving for my MBP with Leopard) it still rubs me the wrong way to see the Mac ads making fun of a Windows machines that can do so much more than Macs despite bugs and such - and the fact they now support parallels is a laugh (and one of the reasons that convinced me to try and get one).

At present the iphone is so limited for the end user that unless you can skipon what it lacks you won't be satisfied (updates may solve some i hope). if you have no room to grow how can you innovate? Or is innovation strictly the possession fo ppl like Jobs? When Mac loses a bt of their arrogance and hypocrisy (they're as much a Big bro company as MSFT but smaller) maybe I'll become a full fan. until then I'm on the fence.

I guarantee that if I can afford to and apple has improved this baby to be more 'smart" I will probably get one..but until then it's either keep my treo and get an Iphone for fun..or keep my treo (it's like owning a PS3, XBOX and Wii - why not?). There has not been enough positives to convince me this is that final device I've been looking for to REPLACE what I have, though it just might supplement it perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    That would open it up to hacking, wouldn't it? You cant even upload files from Safari. This is not something that will be patched soon.

Surur
    Well I don't know and I don't care. But I think not being able to upload pictures you take to for example flickr is ridiculous. And the lack of MMS is totally screams "beta".

There are so many "deal breakers" for traditional smart phone users I don't know where to begin.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Well I don't know and I don't care. But I think not being able to upload pictures you take to for example flickr is ridiculous. And the lack of MMS is totally screams "beta".

There are so many "deal breakers" for traditional smart phone users I don't know where to begin.
    Uploading photos to flickr from the iPhone is as simple as emailing it to your flickr account. Tag it accordingly, bam, it appears on the site within seconds.

Been doing it all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    Been doing it all day.
    Because you have to do it one at a time?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Because you have to do it one at a time?

Surur
    Haha. Well, I have never batch uploaded a ton of photos at once from my phone to flickr...maybe that's a common practice out there, but I've never ever had a need. Take single photo, upload single photo. 10 seconds later, it's on flickr.

I guess for the rest of the population, this is a major issue?
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 07/01/2007 at 03:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    Several of them are asking about video recording, cut & paste etc...yet ppl on this fourm act as if nobody needs this stuff?
    While I agree about the cut & paste, I donubt anyone really needs to shoot low quality video on their phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    While I agree about the cut & paste, I donubt anyone really needs to shoot low quality video on their phone.
    doubt anyone needs to do anything on a phone except make calls
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Ah, the "patience of Job" is needed to deal with the "arrogance of Jobs"
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    doubt anyone needs to do anything on a phone except make calls
    And can it be ported anywhere? I don't think the video on a PALM can? Might be wrong if I am please explain how it can be.

Thanks
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by llarson View Post
    And can it be ported anywhere? I don't think the video on a PALM can? Might be wrong if I am please explain how it can be.

Thanks
    There was this but the linked article has since gone.

IIRC, it was how the first news video of the Cory Lidle crash was shot by a reporter on their Palm phone.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by llarson View Post

Thanks
    Of course it can, all video is transferable.

Doesn't the Palm OS shoot in 3GPP format, like every other mobile device? Just search for 3GP conversion and there is a ton of hits, software and directions for conversion.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    After reading thru this thread I think I posted this post in the wrong thread....

I basically look at phones in two categories:

Phones to Meet Business Needs: If you place the iPhone in this category it is going to get stepped all over as I am sure it will underwhelm and under deliver for meeting the needs of a business person who uses their phone extensively while out of the office.

I personally would never even consider the iPhone as an alternative to a Treo or WM device to meet my business needs. I am too dependent on 3rd party software and don't want to be held down to edge data speeds.

Weekend / Average Consumer Phone Needs: This category I usually look at as a cell phone with added entertainment value, i.e. playing music, videos, streaming, internet webpage access, etc....

I have my business phone and I have a weekend phone that I can take to the beach and not be worried about losing my life if an accident happens. I currently am using the Logic Fusic and does fine for that. I think the iPhone in this view is really cool. If it wasn't banned from CDMA and if it was around $200 I would be seriously tempted.

Summary: It comes down to the same thing as with any cell phone......if the phone can meet the individual needs / wants of that specific customer. Simply list out what you plan on doing with your phone. Then make your list of Pros with all the needs that phone can meet and the Cons that phone cannot do that you would like to be able to do. If there are more Pros and you can live with the Cons, then you will be happy with the phone. If not, then you will be greatly disappointed no matter what phone it is.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234