Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If they can get the Exchange server thing working that was rumored about, that could change somewhat. Add a document editor(I think you can only view now, right?) and it will move into crossover range.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You guys are a little too quick to write off MS or Palm.

True, I think Palm is dead, although there is one last shot with the Linux stuff, but to me, that isn't until late 2008. Probably too late.

WM will evolve and be a player.

The Treo is far from dead and continue to dominate...Palm will likely sell it off when they go bankrupt in 2009.
    The iPhone treats its users as idiots. This obviously suits some people for some reason.

Surur
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The iPhone treats its users as idiots. This obviously suits some people for some reason.

Surur
    Don't you mean iDiots?

To quote Henry Cow (huh?) "War does what she has to; people get what they deserve."
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Some folks simply seem to eat, drink and breathe nonsense on this board. Blowhard hot air seems to suit some people just fine around here for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I love it. By the end of summer I expect my whole family to be on iPhones. incredibley simple to use.
    a very true, scary, and telling statement.

i hope to have a review out later today.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think some of you are jumping the gun dumping WM entirely. Or even Palm OS. Can you get some real work done on your iPhone? Until then, I'm sticking with smartphones for main usage. I can use the iPhone for playtime, but jury's still out as a true business phone.
    it's exactly what i've been saying for so long. the typical American consumer doesn't need a Treo, it's just that it was the hot device years ago and they didn't have any other choice.

i'll continue to say this: they don't use the devices like so many around here do. phone, internet, music, mail....that's it. 3rd party applications don't exist in their universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    and it's ok, Surur. Palm and the rest of the phone world readied them.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    it's exactly what i've been saying for so long. the typical American consumer doesn't need a Treo, it's just that it was the hot device years ago and they didn't have any other choice.

i'll continue to say this: they don't use the devices like so many around here do. phone, internet, music, mail....that's it. 3rd party applications don't exist in their universe.
    Sounds like the argument against a full-blown Windows laptop. Many people just need to do a few things...

There are many users complaining about lack of features. Obviously they should not have bought the iPhone in the first place, and fell for the hype, but it seems the people the iPhone is ideally suited for is a pretty small segment of the population.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Sounds like the argument against a full-blown Windows laptop. Many people just need to do a few things...
    correct, on their handhelds. their laptops they still expect to work as such.
    Oalvarez, Foolio, Foolio, Oalvarez. Have you met before?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I agree with bcaslis in that this spells the end for the consumer end for palm.

I just handled the iphone today and I was very impressed at the interface and the overall ease of use. My wife absolutely loved it.

We are looking at the new zen of apple.

I know what he's talking about when he claims nothing more of interest here at treocentral.
    There is nothing here which sparks the imagination as it used to. No sense of creativity or innovation from palm. Palm products have the feel of a stale, stagnant era now.

Treos will continue to fill needs but they will feel a real punch to the gut once apple has been in the market for a year.

The treo has now been relegated to the position that the visor did when it became dated. Still functional, but increasingly less desirable now.
    Obviously Palm OS devices still have a number of plusses over the iPhone (especially the ability to use a great collection of third-party apps), but for many the most important aspect of their Treos was their ease of use. Arguably, that was the one trump card Palm OS devices had left (certainly having used POS, WM and S60 devices in the last year it would be my view). My original hope was that iPhone would stimulate the whole high-end consumer phone market and Palm would benefit from that. On the usability side though Apple seem to have completely eaten Palm's lunch, and I'm really not so sure now.
    Last edited by marcol; 07/01/2007 at 09:51 AM.
    oal, we await your review.
    Ah yes, they all think and act the same. Everyone needs only basic functionality on a handheld and full-blown functionality on a laptop. No such thing as market segmentation in your world.
    I find it a bit funny that ppl are quite fine with less functionality here but not on all the iPhone and Mac forums! Most buyers seem to be loving the phone for its GUI rahte than functions but "love" goes only so far (sometimes i can't believe how materialistic some ppl are - love fcol? I hope ppl' s relationships don't fail due to them being stuck staring at a piece of glass all day!). Anyway a few ppl are still putting down the iPhone and a few are still bigging it up to no ends...

I'll stick with the guys that can see the spots despite the whitened teeth..can see the moles despite the eyes, can see the chin stubble despite the breasts, i.e. the balanced views and I have sadly seen few from ppl who were "former treo users"...and more so from the supposed "dumb phoners" on other sites...

Several of them are asking about video recording, cut & paste etc...yet ppl on this fourm act as if nobody needs this stuff?

When ppl start stalking about not needing functionality on a phone and they want things simple on a phone but on a laptop that's where they want the functions, I think "so why go and buy a $600 phone and you can get the laptop for that and a simple phone for the tax??"

They still have devices like the nokia 1102 selling for $10 US unlocked that are simple as can be - they make and receive calls? Obviously you DO want something complex if you go and buy an iPhone esp at that price!

There are obvious good things about the iPhone, but also some obvious bad things - right now ppl are beta testers and that's good. Beta testers always get the new stuff and enjoy the exclusivity & perks, but also the problems & frustrations of new things. I've never been one myself (I'm too poor I reckon to buy several versions of things to keep up so i wait on the real deal revision).

'm wondering how much i can trust "reviews" on this site - sounds more like ppl who want others to feel stupid for buying the iPhone and the buyers wanting ppl who didn't buy it to feel stupid for not getting one - not much objectivity at all, as everyone has a stake in this.

Shall we let the numbers decide at the end of the year if this device will "rule the world" (a device fcol...ppl have more passion about this than their families it seems at times) - it doesn't matter to me either way atm as I couldn't afford one now after buying a treo 680 last year, but I'm balanced enough to know if they do improve and they do become more flexible (and unlocked) I would give it a try by 2008/9. Until then I'll serve as the Refereee ok!
    ^ if you want to be a ref, great, but try and be fair. "most buyers are in love with the GUI rather than functionality?"

c'mon my friend....would you like me to paste commentary to the contrary? there are hundreds upon hundreds of posts at macrumors from people who are absolutely ecstatic with the iphone's functionality. yes, they love the GUI as well as do i.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    You guys are a little too quick to write off MS or Palm.

True, I think Palm is dead, although there is one last shot with the Linux stuff, but to me, that isn't until late 2008. Probably too late.

WM will evolve and be a player.

The Treo is far from dead and continue to dominate...Palm will likely sell it off when they go bankrupt in 2009.
    Why would it be too late? Because apple decided to join the feature phone market? A leading company finally making a feature phone doesn't make future smartphones obsolete.
    bruckwine makes a great point...on TC, the iPologists overlook the gaps in the iPhone, yet over on Macforums and other places, the iFaithful are like "wtf".

Very telling indeed.
    Can it be that I was the first to use the term "iPologist" to describe Apple fans who ignore or explain away product shortcomings, along with an irrational fanboy adoration of Apple/Jobs?

I feel all tingly, inventing terms.

Maybe it will work it's way into the popular lexicon over the next months as the "bummer-ness" set in.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast